Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What is the rationale for playing teams like Kent State?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1,871

What is the rationale for playing teams like Kent State?

Jun 23, 2017, 9:59 AM

I have no problem with Kent State in itself, as I expect they are a fine institution. However, small schools that are NOT in SC seem counter-productive to me. Maybe I'm missing something that others can enlighten me about. For me, if we play smaller schools (and we always will), then I prefer SC schools to be our first choice. There are several schools in SC that could dearly use the funding that can be had playing CLEMSON. I think they should be first priority. It continues to irk me when we schedule Wyoming, Kent State, and similar schools. As good as Troy is (and I actually like to see them play), I would rather see The Citadel show up.

Just my daily rant I guess. But WHO sets these schedules, and WHY do they continue making these choices? Is there some type of NCAA rule or ACC conference rule in effect here?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What is the rationale for playing teams like Kent State?

Jun 23, 2017, 10:00 AM

I'm pretty sure they do these games just to tick us off.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kent is not a small school

Jun 23, 2017, 10:10 AM

Just not very good in sports.

Re: Kent is not a small school

Jun 23, 2017, 10:18 AM

I was in the Canton/Akron airport on Tuesday morning ...the Kent State murals in that place are out of control .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jun 23, 2017, 10:24 AM

Because Kent & Wyoming are D1 schools. Offers a chance to get in a groove before the big games without hurting SOS much. It is especially good for us this year, since we do not have a proven QB and Auburn is the following week.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Jun 23, 2017, 10:40 AM

Agreed

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Prefer to avoid other Cootkillers like Citadel!

Jun 23, 2017, 10:31 AM

LOL

I agree - when we play smaller schools we need to.......

Jun 23, 2017, 10:38 AM

stick with Wofford, Furman, SC State, and The Citadel.

Jun 23, 2017, 10:39 AM

Because Kent St., Wyoming, Troy, UConn, etc. are all FBS schools and The Citadel, SC State, Furman, etc. are FCS schools which hurt our Strength of Schedule. As much as I would like to see more Power 5 Schools on the schedule, it does help to have teams like these on our schedule to help develop our players that are a little deeper on the depth charts without hurting our SOS as bad as having additional FCS schools would.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!!

Most other major D-1 schools

Jun 23, 2017, 10:50 AM

are afraid to schedule strong OOC opponents. So to fill our schedule we have to make agreements with teams in the next tier down, with the hope of finding one before having to go down another tier to FCS. Honestly I don't think it's Clemson nearly as much as it is the availability of everyone else. Clemson has shown many times over the years that we'll play anyone, anywhere. Clemson, and the ACC in general, are two of the very few institutions that exhibit that philosophy.

Jun 23, 2017, 11:52 AM

The big push is for all Division I teams to no longer play FCS teams. Strength of schedule is an important playoff element. I am concerned that in the near future, no Division I teams will play FCS teams. Thus, we will no longer see matches up with our in-state schools, such as The Citadel, SC State, Wofford, Furman, etc.

Instead, we will see more match ups with Kent State, Georgia Southern, Troy, Wyoming, UConn and others of that nature. They are Division I teams.

Also, I think we will see some ACC schools play ACC schools in the slots for those other schools. It will be games not part of the ACC schedule. I wonder how those will count towards the ACC championship?

Message was edited by: tshark®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brand exposure to recruits in harder to reach markets

Jun 23, 2017, 11:58 AM

With the exception of BCS games, I don't believe Clemson Football is given much traditional Television priority in Akron OH, Laramie WY, Hartford, CT, and College Station, TX.

Granted, college football isn't given much priority in Connecticut period (Wyoming is suspect here too), but it does matter to the Christian Wilkins type of recruits in the area.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

If u didn't know Saban went to Kent State, then u should

Jun 23, 2017, 11:59 AM

have your man card revoked; plus, losing 2 of your 1st 3 since Lamar Jackson has decided to steal your forever elusive Heisman Trophy yet again will be basically a death blow, so u should change your tone and be thankful for a possible early win.

Thank god for Citadel this yr also, u unrealistic baboon.

U'll be lucky to win 1 of 3 vs VTech, Cuse, n' NCSt on the road this season. If u wanna argue, u're only foowndling yourself.

Sorry for such a long post, but wake the phrick up before Wake's your only ACC win this yr.

What a voice of reason

Jun 23, 2017, 12:02 PM

Quality post as usual 3L

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

My guess is that schools like Kent St try to seek

Jun 23, 2017, 12:11 PM

out these games for both the payout and the experience. For their players it's a cool experience to travel across the country to a new atmosphere. Because of this, if you play at a school like Wofford or Furman not only have you probably played a game at Clemson and USC over your career, but you've also travelled to places like Ole Miss, Florida, and others. For 1 AA schools and non power conference schools, that's a pretty nice selling point to recruits that you'll get to play in those settings. I like playing the instate schools, but I get mixing it up some

Jun 23, 2017, 5:28 PM

Very simple: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
For them: To finance their program.
For us: To have the extra home game and all that goes with that.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1,871
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic