Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What Streaming Service to get for Football season?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

What Streaming Service to get for Football season?

Jul 16, 2018, 3:38 PM

We cut cable last year after the season was over. Now I'm wondering what streaming service people are using.

There is a ton of choices between Sling, DirectTV Now, YouTube TV, Playstation Vue, etc...

I would like the ability to DVR games if possible in case I can't be around. I know most of the major streaming services have most of the ESPNs and ABC. But how do you streaming folks even get the low-tier games that normally come on that Raycom network thing? Like the Furman game for instance might not be on a major network. Can we get those too or are we SOL?

Thanks in advance

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What Streaming Service to get for Football season?***

Jul 16, 2018, 3:41 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What Streaming Service to get for Football season?***

Jul 16, 2018, 3:43 PM

You can download the ESPN app on your phone and connect your phone to the TV. I do it some while tailgating as well. Just one way !

Re: What Streaming Service to get for Football season?

Jul 16, 2018, 4:03 PM

ESPN app is free, so i suggest that and if you don't like it you can purchase one. I can watch nearly all games on the ESPN app for free (CFB) while on the go or at work. With that being said you're going to need a TV provider though to be able to use any so i'm not sure how that would work for you and they're subject to black out on occasion.

Jul 16, 2018, 4:25 PM

The ESPN app is free but OP still needs a service provider. I cut the cord last year and borrow a friends DirecTV login to watch....however, DTV has gotten smart now and if you're not on the same WIFI network as the box, it will black out live events. I'm not sure how I'm going to get around that moving forward.

I remember last year someone else posted this same question and if memory serves, most people responding uses Sling and said it was fine, but a little laggy. YouTube's pay service was recommended as not being as laggy.

I'm also considering Charter's "Internet TV" package....I use them only for internet right now and they keep mailing me an offer for $20/month for all the local stations and then 10 more stations of my choosing, all over the internet. There are about 5-6 sports stations on the list and then I would probably opt for discovery or travel or food network for the wifey. I'm also curious if anyone has used this Charter option and if they like it.

Jul 17, 2018, 10:41 AM

I work for Charter & actually have seen this package with boxes too if people don't want to/can't stream.

I used sling last year with pretty much no issue.

Jul 16, 2018, 4:06 PM

I think it was like $35 and they gave me a free roku device.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

I am currently using a Roku with Playstation Vue as the

Jul 16, 2018, 6:37 PM

service (have tried Sling, DirectvNOW, Hulu, and YoutubeTV). Get all the network channels, ESPN, NBCSports, CBSSports, Big10, and SEC. The package I am using includes DVR, although I don't think the DVR stores longer than 28 days. Have not really been DVR-ing stuff. Have to work on that. This will be the first CFB season for me since cutting the cord, so will have to see how it works. Will be interesting to see if I have to spring for the ESPN+ to get some of the Clemson games.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2018, 6:57 PM

https://clark.com/technology/tvsatellite-cable/streaming-tv-comparison-best-channel-lineup/

I'm facing the same issue, I haven't decided which one yet...but I'm leaning toward YouTube's service based on value/feedback from friends. The link above is great for channel lineup comparisons... More feedback on this thread would be great! I had sling for a while and it wasn't bad but I'm told YouTube's service is better...

Jul 16, 2018, 7:02 PM

https://clark.com/technology/tvsatellite-cable/best-live-tv-streaming-plans-deals-2018/

This was pretty informative as well...

Jul 16, 2018, 8:06 PM

I use Firestick with Kodi download, Morphious or Terranium TV, all free with all the sports channels including all around the world, Fox, cbs, sky, espn and etc.

Just make sure you have a great internet service. If you YouTube how to download for firestick it will take you through all the steps.

I also have PlayStation too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Jul 16, 2018, 8:58 PM

I have used Sling and Vue with great success. I use these services to sign up for the ESPN app too (you have to do this too to get the most Clemson content).

For football, sling has been fine. To watch March madness....I had to switch to Vue.

You can cancel from month to month, so you could try both easily.

Jul 16, 2018, 9:34 PM

I got rid of Spectrum TV about 3 months ago after my bill increased $40 over a five month period, but kept them as an ISP. Switched to Play Station Vue subscribing to the Core package. Have been reasonably satisfied with it. The only service I miss is the History channel. PSVue doesn't offer it in any of their packages, however wouldn't go to a higher level in any instance. Have looked at a similar level package for DirectTVNow which includes History, but doesn't offer the Golf Channel, except at a higher level. One odd thing about PSVue is it includes four Big Ten and two MLB channels. At this point, they've shown the same programming. Would gladly trade them for the History channel.

One downside to streaming is I can no longer use my VHS recorder/player. Have more than 4 dozen CU games on VHS. The device also plays DVDs which I can't use as well. PSVue has DVR but only archives for about a month. At this point not sure I can access the ACC Network on the desktop which will show the Furman game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Jul 16, 2018, 11:28 PM

You can sign up for the watch espn app with Vue login information and get the Furman game.

Jul 16, 2018, 9:37 PM

I have used Vue past two years. HD service at half the cost on more devices. Local channels is only issue and we are on ABC a lot now. I use an HD antenna. I have not DVR'd games bc I don't trust it and I can't avoid society that long anyway. DVR is fine for shows though. I am happy with it. I love sticking it to cable company.

Jul 16, 2018, 9:37 PM

I have used Vue past two years. HD service at half the cost on more devices. Local channels is only issue and we are on ABC a lot now. I use an HD antenna. I have not DVR'd games bc I don't trust it and I can't avoid society that long anyway. DVR is fine for shows though. I am happy with it. I love sticking it to cable company.

Here's a pretty good review from last year that I used

Jul 16, 2018, 9:39 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/6lx25j/its_getting_easier_to_be_a_college_football_fan

Thanks!***

Jul 16, 2018, 10:43 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2018, 1:12 AM

ESPN+ will give most NCAA games for $5/month.
No NFL, if you want to watch Deshaun tear it up, though.

Jul 17, 2018, 11:24 AM

Do you have to have wifi service to use this? Like, Could I use it on my phone with the unlimited data plan I have?

Jul 17, 2018, 12:19 PM

I love Sling.
Get all my sports for $25.00.
(add sports package for $5 during Year, except for summer).
Basic is $20.00.

Jul 17, 2018, 12:22 PM

that includes NFL and other sports channels, that I am not likely to watch as much.

Jul 17, 2018, 1:12 PM

I have used a couple of services - GEARS ($15 a month) and now Eternal TV ($8 a month). Both offer just about everything - from normal cable channels to premium to sports (all the Fox, ESPN, MLB Package, NBA, Sunday Ticket, EPL). Gears was pretty good for football but haven't experienced Eternal TV with it yet. I can say baseball is great on Eternal TV - picture is amazing - one quality it has over Gears and it's cheaper.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic