Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What I want to know is why Football players need to get paid
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

What I want to know is why Football players need to get paid

Aug 3, 2020, 11:02 PM

when they already goin be gettin their Reparations checks soon, right?

LOL, people - that's tongue-in-cheek, for the most part, but the point still stands: All these people have all these ideas about how they're going to tear down the country, but NONE of them have any clue as to how to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

In other words, they simply don't have the personal or collective Vision to express what this so-called changed world looks like. Instead they're like little children running around, engorged with selfishness and self-absorption.

I have long suggested that CFB DOES in fact need to split some of the pie with players, BUT that slice needed to constructed as an IRA or 401k to take current compensation out of the picture. College degrees themselves act like 401k compensation plans - all the return is provided over the coming work career. Having players paid that way keeps professionalism OUT of College Athletics and effectively reduces the ability to cheat to nil (who would care to cheat for something that won't be received for 40 years?).

One thing is for sure: America has been listening to the looney Leftist Media for so long, America no longer knows how to identify good Leaders. SC had a learned and thoughtfully good one in the House, but he quit in Disgust.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wrong board, doofus....***

Aug 3, 2020, 11:08 PM

Re: What I want to know is why Football players need to get paid

Aug 3, 2020, 11:18 PM

Sounds good dirty Mike.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2020, 7:48 AM

Maybe I'm wrong on this,but it's not about paying the players to play,but rather for some sort of stipen for having their likeness sold on posters,or magazines,for jersey sales,and so forth.
Tell me if I am wrong.

Aug 4, 2020, 8:34 AM

That's what it was, until they upped the stipend a few years ago for room and board.

Then they wanted the ability to sell their own NIL in the free market, which it looks like they're getting in 2022 if not before. This will likely lead to schools with money (rich boosters) essentially guaranteeing the stars a certain amount to get them to sign with certain schools.

Now they (Pac 12) are asking for 50/50 split on revenue between the schools and the players... That is just absurd.

This is the world we live in now. It's never going to be enough. People need to learn to work their way up to the top and earn what they have. Most of the athletes at Clemson HAVE worked their way up and earned the opportunity for a full scholarship which includes... a free college education, free tutors, PAW Journey which prepares them for the real world, free nutritionist, free gym with the best equipment, free personal trainers, free coaching to give them the best chance possible to make more in one year than I will likely make in my career.

They should be thankful for the opportunities that they have and take full advantage of them. Even if the pro route doesn't work out for them, they will have a college degree to "fall back on" without having the student loans that many of us have/had when graduating from Clemson. 95% of the players that are going to profit from NIL, are going to make millions in their first pro contract. Most of the guys that don't make the pros are also not going to make much off of the NIL deals.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've not seen a single person even suggest that the 50/50

Aug 4, 2020, 1:01 PM

split is even a meaningful point from which to start a discussion.

Yet since these are young, woke, Black, whatevers, then we're all supposed to play along as if they have a clue of what they are doing.

Personally I think virtually every single Liberal in this country has lost their literal collective and individual mind.

Aug 4, 2020, 1:28 PM

Honestly the only real problem I have with them making some sort of money from at least their image is the fear of that leading to boosters basically buying recruits with promises of endorsements. I honestly think that's the biggest reason a lot of people are against it.

Aside from that, it's hard for me to simply say it's all about them earning an education when the coaches are making millions, and at least a few earning close to 10 million per year now. The SEC brought in over $650 million in revenue last year alone. In addition to that the players get to see their jerseys sold, and no it doesn't have their names on it, but everyone knows the player the jersey is meant to represent. If the jersey isn't meant to represent a certain player, then why not put 99 or 00 or something on it instead of the number of the 2-3 current star players on the team? They also see their faces on the cover of magazines, websites, and television all of whom are making money off of them.

Now they're seeing their fellow students kept home this fall at a lot of places, but are being asked to report to school to play football because the schools can't afford to lose out on the money they make. It just gets harder and harder to say they should just be happy with their education and shut up. I do agree that an education is great, and disagree with anyone who says they're playing for free or that they're like slaves for that reason. However, it stops being simply about education when the schools are bringing in 10's of millions each year for it.

I'm not sure what the pay should be, and I wish they could come up with something that would make it workable and equal for every school, but it's just hard for me to say they don't deserve anything. I personally believe the NFL should step in and help. College football provides a free minor league system for the NFL. The NFL needs college football and we all know it. The NFL should at least share in the cost of paying for health insurance and some sort of set amount of pay for the players. It would be a lot cheaper for them than starting up their very own minor league football league.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic