Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Were regular season conference champ plus 3 at-large
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,150

Were regular season conference champ plus 3 at-large

Nov 20, 2018, 6:36 PM

wrapping up this weekend instead of next week's round of 5 CCG's, we would be looking at the following finish at hand...

ACC: Clemson wrapped at 8-0; seeding game vs SCar

B12: Oklahoma 7-1 @ West Va 6-2. 8pm Friday night. Winner take all. Texas would be out even with win as on 0-2 side of 3-way tie were WVa to win.

B1G: Michigan 8-0 @ OSU 7-1 Noon Saturday; winner takes the B1G crown over NW which would lose on 3-way tie scenario if they won Saturday.

Pac 12: Wazzu vs Washington; 8:30pm Friday night. Winner is Pac 12 champ - straight out.

SEC: Bama vs Auburn; 3:30pm Saturday. With win Bama goes to 8-0 and SEC champ. UGA at 7-1 would tie Bama with Auburn loss. Each 2-1 with common opponents and no head-to-head so hard to say how that tie-breaker would work. Regardless, each would be 11-1 at worst and certainly an at-large at least in the offing.

Others:
Notre Dame 11-0 vs USC 8:00pm Saturday night. Win and they're in, loss and ???
UCF @ USF Friday afternoon 4:15pm. Win and UCF is likely 12-0 at-large.

5 Power 5 champs - 4 of them remarkably being settled with this weekend's games.
3 at-larges. Likely SEC runner-up plus ND and UCF.

Instead of one play-off, two play-outs, one play-in, plus a don't-matter in the 5 conference championship games, just make that a round of 8 a week later for some extra prep and travel time.

Can't think of any part of the regular season game that would have suffered leading up to now, nor a more effective and clear path ahead with one less game even overall to quiet all (most) debate.

Go football.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know the current system isn't fantastic, but i can't

Nov 20, 2018, 6:41 PM

imagine awarding automatic playoff bids based on tie-breakers. You may as well eliminate divisions in that scenario because they would be completely meaningless.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. Exactly. Eliminate divisions entirely.

Nov 20, 2018, 8:36 PM

They're worse than meaningless today. They're an artificial imbalance wrecking better regular season league schedules.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

who cares? the conferences can choose their

Nov 20, 2018, 8:54 PM [ in reply to I know the current system isn't fantastic, but i can't ]

2 best options. put them in their conference champ game, the winner goes to the playoff.

fork this at large crap...fork trying to figure out the best teams in the country. fork polls, committies, and indexes.

conference champs play for the NC , the rest go home.

in my scenerio, if Pitt beats clemson, they move on. ..oh well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Can't do much more forking straight than confernces

Nov 20, 2018, 9:41 PM

producing their champ thru regular season and adding 3 to the mix of 8 that include Indy's, Group of 5's, and near-misses in the Power 5. No auto for a G5 but if they're a legit contender then let 'em play.

Replace next week's 5 conference championship games with 4 conference champions weekend games and it's a better sport. No 4 super-conferences needed. Regional rivals take bigger stages. All games matter. And no rematches until the final if applicable. College football is too special and finite to have rematches unless it's the last game of the year.

Re: Were regular season conference champ plus 3 at-large

Nov 20, 2018, 9:54 PM

If a conference champion got an automatic bid then what would stop a team like Clemson this season from sitting a bunch of key players out against Duke and South Carolina after clinching the division after the BC game?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1. The Duke game mattered. Pitt is 6-1 now with another game

Nov 20, 2018, 11:06 PM

left. Without the W vs Duke we could tie. Who wants that?

2. SCar. Cereal man? Sure, come 2nd half many dudes will take a load off but this is our rivalry. No way anyone takes off here. Many other games like ours out there also.

Doesn't change this at all.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,150
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic