Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We need to change the way we play Offense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,180

We need to change the way we play Offense

Feb 21, 2019, 12:25 PM

Ever notice that the really good teams ATTACK the basket, run like bunnies up and down the court, always looking for the fast break ?

Ever notice that the not so as good teams lollygag the ball up the courts, play hot potato with the ball around the key, and then someone finally throws up a brick and its clunks off the rim or backplate ?

We do the latter

Since the season is late, and really we have nothing to lose, I don't know why we don't take the more aggressive approach. Watching Clemson basketball is an exercise in frustration. I don't know how many times I have yelled at the Plasma "take it to the hoop !", "follow the darn shot !" "get the ball up !", "press 'em gosh darn it !" "don't let that goon get inside !" .... We play rec league style ball, it does not work. Lastly, press them early and often, not wait for the last 1 minute ... Coach B seems more worried about the other team fast breaking ... if they do, they do ... we need to match 'em

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you just now noticing this?

Feb 21, 2019, 12:27 PM

Offense has been stale most of Brownells tenure.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are you just now noticing this?

Feb 21, 2019, 12:40 PM

Yep, I agree.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We need to change the way we play Offense

Feb 21, 2019, 12:39 PM

Can’t say much for previous years but thanks to CBB recruiting strategy and not all on him... but he’s forced to play a deliberate game this year or we’d do good in the first half but totally collapse in the second. We have zero depth and bench presence. With the lack of that, we cannot afford to play your style.

Wish we could.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But recruiting is all on him...

Feb 21, 2019, 12:44 PM

and his recruiting of HS players has not been that great or even good.

Virginia doesn't run much..

Feb 21, 2019, 12:43 PM

Mostly seems to work for them, until March.

Feb 21, 2019, 12:46 PM

1. We are not going to press full game. There aren't actually any good teams who currently do that.

2. We aren't going to rush the ball and try to "attack" when we have the chance. Well I don't really have a good answer for why not on this one.

We do a lot of: 4 guys stand there, 1 guy dribbles until bored, said dribbler throws up a shot that isn't exactly terrible but rarely goes in.

In my opinion the best part of this offensive gameplan is that sometimes the defense is surprised that something actually happened and they aren't ready for the rebound. We get several baskets per game like this.

Feb 21, 2019, 12:50 PM

I think that we attacked the basket really well last year - especially Reed. It seemed like every time we needed a bucket he would go to the hoop and successfully convert. In the game against Miami, we were trying hard to go inside (with some success), but it looks like we turn the ball over a lot when we do that (especially this year). Also, I don't know the statistics but our three point shooting does not appear to be anywhere close to what it was last year.

Feb 21, 2019, 12:54 PM

The bad 3 point shooting is why Reed can't drive as easily as last season.

There is no threat for the kick-out pass, so everyone on defense can come down to help on defense.

you also need the talent that elite teams have.***

Feb 21, 2019, 1:28 PM

Nein !

Feb 21, 2019, 3:01 PM

We got the talent now ... the way we play, they REGRESS !!! Open them up, let them play

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,180
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic