Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We definitely should beat NC State. Here’s why.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

We definitely should beat NC State. Here’s why.

Oct 18, 2018, 8:35 AM

We opened as an 18 point favorite for a reason.

1) it’s at home.
2) they lost 9 starters on defense.
3) their running backs are not as good as last year.
4) we beat them last year at their place with all of that talent.
5) We should be much better than last year. All our D came back. We have an improved running game and now finally some down field passing.
6) it’s NC State and I don’t care how good they are, they suck.
7) if we can’t beat NC State at home, we can’t beat Alabama or Ohio State on the road.

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We definitely should beat NC State. Here’s why.

Oct 18, 2018, 8:53 AM

I agree with most of this post. But, they have a 5th year senior in Ryan Finley at QB. Some are predicting him to be a high draft pick next year. They have two of the best returning receivers in the ACC. Against Clemson last year, these two accounted for 260 yds of receiving. Harmon 155 yds and Meyers had 105 yds. If there is one weakness in our defense, it has been our pass coverage, being out of position, etc. Defense will have to put a lot of pressure on Finly. Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2018, 9:14 AM

I agree that is a concern but Finley was there last year too. Our Secondary is a concern for sure. The front 7 have GOT to bring pressure and stop the run. We’ll see.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2018, 9:20 AM [ in reply to Re: We definitely should beat NC State. Here’s why. ]

Finley is legit,and he will make plays. I don't see us eliminating him, but I do see our D minimizing and containing him. BV does a great job of bend don't break. He also does a great job making in game adjustments. Our D will just make more plays than he does.

Oct 18, 2018, 8:53 AM

I agree with most of this post. But, they have a 5th year senior in Ryan Finley at QB. Some are predicting him to be a high draft pick next year. They have two of the best returning receivers in the ACC. Against Clemson last year, these two accounted for 260 yds of receiving. Harmon 155 yds and Meyers had 105 yds. If there is one weakness in our defense, it has been our pass coverage, being out of position, etc. Defense will have to put a lot of pressure on Finly. Go Tigers!

Oct 18, 2018, 9:12 AM

I don't understand how a team can be 6 and 0 and be 18 point dogs.

Oct 18, 2018, 9:40 AM

James Madison 24-13
Georgia State 41-7
WVU cancelled
Marshall 37-20
UVA 35-21
BC 28-23

They've played 3 non-entities, cancelled their only non-conference challenge (I suppose that's not their fault), and given up 20+ in their ACC games.

That's how.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only wild card is a freshman qb

Oct 18, 2018, 9:21 AM

i know how high is ceiling is but we haven't seen him get in a dog fight and get out of it just yet. Only dogfight was Texas AM and he got pulled for KB. Its important to establish Travis ETN from the outset so it will relieve pressure. I know TL can do it but..he's gotta actually go do it.

Plus factor in that Doeren will have his guys playing to knock people out of the game again and who knows what that entails.

Re: the only wild card is a freshman qb

Oct 18, 2018, 9:36 AM

Good point; ultimately, we will go as far as TL will take us. If he plays anywhere closes to his potential (say 3-4 TD passes, no interceptions), we will win going away. If TL has an average game, we will probably still win on the strength of our defense and running game. If he has a bad game (holding the ball too long and taking sacks, turnovers, unable to convert third downs), we will be in trouble.

I watched last year's game with an NC State and two things were quite evident (as pointed out by others), 1) their receivers are tall and big and made catching look easy, 2) we could not put ANY pressure on Finley because a) he has a very quick release and does not hold the ball for very long, and b) their OL protection was pretty good. I am hoping that BV will have a better plan this year; blitzes did not seem to work out last year.

Of course, being a home game will help.

This game will tell us a lot more about TL. Have a good game against NCS and there is hope against the Bamas and Ohio States. Have an average or poor game and we will probably be struggling the rest of the way.

Re: the only wild card is a freshman qb

Oct 18, 2018, 9:46 AM

I thought Samuels was the guy that hurt us so much last year. Didn’t he graduate?

Oct 18, 2018, 9:33 AM

Finley is a high PROSPECT in the draft. NC State has had two of those: Glennon, Brissett and we all see how they turned out. Being good in the brain of Mel Kiper or Todd Mcshay doesn't translate to actually being good. He is 6'3, they just love height.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic