Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We came back from down 7 with a shot to win at the end.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 3,101

We came back from down 7 with a shot to win at the end.

Feb 16, 2019, 2:08 PM

Despite all of the critical posts here about us not being competitive in crunch time, we made this a game and gave ourselves a chance to win at the end. That’s all you can ask, especially on the road against a top 15 team.

Be upset at the loss, I know I am. But don’t knock the effort or the position we put ourselves in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Great effort.. Never gave up...***

Feb 28, 2012, 2:44 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We came back from down 7 with a shot to win at the end.

Feb 16, 2019, 2:09 PM

0-59 against ranked teams. I think that says where Clemson basketball is

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 16, 2019, 2:11 PM

But don’t some of these close losses feel like wins??
The spirit of Tommy Bowden lives.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

VT was ranked.***

Feb 16, 2019, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Re: We came back from down 7 with a shot to win at the end. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BRING IT!

Re: VT was ranked.***

Feb 16, 2019, 2:14 PM

That’s our road record vs ranked teams if I’m not mistaken

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All that is true. Good effort etc.

Feb 16, 2019, 2:10 PM

But we lost. Again.

If we don't make the tournament, then it's time for a change.

I may not be 100% convinced that it time to change

Feb 16, 2019, 2:16 PM

HC's yet......but I hope when/if they do, they give Earl Grant at CofC a strong look.......he was on Brownell's staff before taking the Cougars' job.....not saying COach Grant is the best fit for Clemson HC, but he's worthy of mention

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fair enough. And I think that would be a good choice, should

Feb 16, 2019, 2:47 PM

that choice need to be made. I'm just of the opinion that there is no reason this team shouldn't make the tourney. It's been 9 years, and more time won't change the trend..if we don't make the tourney. Make it, and we can believe the trend may change. Don't make it, and I see no reason to believe the trend will ever change. I'm not sure how another year could be justified.

That’s great but still a loss and let’s be honest. This team is snakebit. It’s time for a change.

Coming back again and coming up short makes it worse than it would be by losing by 7 pts

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ok with this post you’ve officially proved you enjoy watching Clemson sports but do not really care. You are into moral victories. You’re worse than scar football fans dude

Feb 16, 2019, 2:15 PM

Judge needs to take up throwing horse shoes...

Feb 16, 2019, 2:39 PM

Yep same game over and over. I would overlook this one if we didn't crap the bed against Miami. Either way... crappy season and we can't win the close game. I know Judge likes to post on feelings but data says we can't win close games and that this team is average at best.

Feb 16, 2019, 2:11 PM

Homer...

The Bubble likely burst today in

Feb 16, 2019, 2:12 PM

Yet another close loss where we gave up the lead. But you keep applauding Brownell and the team. 1 tourney in the last nine years and next year looks like it will be much worse. He just can’t recruit well enough to get to the next level.

Re: The Bubble likely burst today in

Feb 16, 2019, 2:18 PM

Exactly. Yes Clemson came from 7 down to have a shot at the end after giving up the lead and letting Louisville get up like that. I didn't expect them to win anyways. Thats a sad statement with a team starting 4 seniors and a team coming off a Sweet 16 run but hey I guess to some thats good enough. It was good enough for Clemson football until it wasn't. So eventually you have to make a choice. Either Brownell is the guy or he isn't and if you just can't make your mind up on that question well then I think you already knew the answer.

How can you not applaud the effort today?!?

Feb 16, 2019, 2:51 PM [ in reply to The Bubble likely burst today in ]

Of course the goal is to win. I’m not debating that. But at the end of the day, all you can ask is for your team to have a chance at the end.

The reasons why we didn’t make the necessary plays is another topic. Feel free to start a new thread about that. I’m happy to discuss it. My belief is that we need more confident leaders. Reed, Mitchell, and Thomas are good players but don’t have the mental approach necessary to lead us to victory in many of these situations. We miss Devoe and Grantham a lot in that regard.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: How can you not applaud the effort today?!?

Feb 16, 2019, 2:59 PM

Grantham was the testicular fortitude of this team. Check out the record after he went down last year. Our wins came on games where Devoe got hot. For as much as Reed gets talked up, he can’t do what Devoe did consistently, especially not against ACC competition.

Lville did everything they could to give that game away.

Feb 16, 2019, 2:13 PM

Coach Mayo can't give the team the confidence they need to close it out. 9 years, same old song.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As I say to the Coots,

Feb 16, 2019, 2:14 PM

moral victories are for losers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

The players put themselves in the position of being 7 down

and needing a miracle. When 4 seniors can't execute in the 4:30 of the last 5 minutes, it's time to hold them accountable. This team has been atrocious in close games. That's on the players

Re: The players put themselves in the position of being 7 down

Feb 16, 2019, 2:54 PM

Exactly. It was a longer stretch than the last 4:30. We went up by nine and the team started coasting. Our offense is still atrocious to watch. How many times will our guards drive into the lane and throw up layup attempts contested by two or more players? They look like all they care about is trying to hit backboard. Eli is our best player and he fights to get open plenty and for the last two years has been ignored for entire stretches of games. How can a college level coach not emphasize feeding our best weapon when we get in these offensive lulls?

They got it to Eli several times today where

Feb 16, 2019, 3:01 PM

he missed shots he should have made. That, plus we have no consistent 3 point threat to stretch the defense

I guess they get a trophy for effort, huh?

Newsflash. . .they still lost. There is no way to sugarcoat it. It’s not like this is a first year head coach.

I’m glad we both agree that our basketball team should be better.

Feb 16, 2019, 3:44 PM

Question: do you think it’s fair to pay our coach a middle-of-the-pack salary among ACC coaches, give him facilities only slightly better than that, at a school with the worst basketball history in the conference, and a mediocre home court advantage, and expect him to perform at a high level?

Because that is what a lot of people here expect, and honestly, that’s ridiculous.

Re: I’m glad we both agree that our basketball team should be better.

Feb 16, 2019, 4:03 PM

So one of the reasons we lose is we are not paying Coach Brownell enough?

I think he is paid fairly based on the results thus far.

Feb 16, 2019, 5:29 PM

But he has missed out on getting several assistant coaches he wanted because the AD wouldn’t approve the necessary budget increases needed.
He has also asked for several support staff he has not gotten.

What he has gotten from the AD has occurred a few years after he started asking. Facilities are but one example of that.

On average, we are a middle of the pack team under Brad. Yet our fans are mad at him because we barely lost to a top 15 Louisville team on the road. Louisville has more 5 star recruits the last 5 years than we have had in our history. They have multiple final four appearances and national championships. I wanted to win today as badly as anyone here, but doing so would’ve been an overachievement based on our basketball standing and investment versus theirs.

Heartbreaking loss.

Feb 16, 2019, 2:22 PM

But they fought until the last second.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 16, 2019, 2:26 PM

Defense broke down in the second half. That's how we will win against good teams. They scored double what they did in the first half. That was the game.

Feb 16, 2019, 2:28 PM

Who the heck cares?! It doesn’t change the fact we lost. This mentality is why our basketball program has stayed where it is.

My expectations are in line with our mediocre fans and administration.

Feb 16, 2019, 3:06 PM

I refuse to blame coaching when our coaches routinely do more with less than almost any other ACC coaching staff.

I’d love to see our AD make basketball a bigger priority. Same goes for our fans. But until that happens, I don’t think we should expect to dominate a basketball power like Louisville on their home court.

Feb 16, 2019, 2:36 PM

Zion be like..I dodged that #### bullet...

Love the effort but it's time to put a few of these

Feb 16, 2019, 2:40 PM

Feb 16, 2019, 2:41 PM

So next year if the football team goes 6-7 with a couple of heartbreaking close losses with good effort, you will be okay with it and not call for any type of change??

We need a new coach that can recruit scorers. You can teach a scorer to play above average defense as a team, but you will never be able to make a team of sub-par shooters into scorers.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL are you seriously comparing football and basketball?

Feb 16, 2019, 3:50 PM

Football at Clemson is the golden child, and gets everything it wants and needs. In contrast, basketball has to claw and scratch for new facilities and an increased budget.

I think we should have the goal of making the NCAA Tournament every year at Clemson, but based on our history and our current level of administrative and fan support, I don’t think that is reasonable.

Do you think Duke football is doing well to be competitive against powerhouse teams? If so, that’s about the same as us being competitive against Louisville in basketball.

Feb 16, 2019, 2:46 PM

I love this team we just don't know how to win close games. It has been that way for years. That is coaching. Losing a few close games is luck but consistently losing close games is on the coach. This is deff not the first year we have had this happen to us. I will never stop supporting and watching but I don't want to keep seeing this same thing keep happening. It's like a replay over and over.

5th year seniors shouldn't need to be coached

Feb 16, 2019, 2:54 PM

to not make stupid plays or screw up easy ones

Re: 5th year seniors shouldn't need to be coached

Feb 16, 2019, 2:59 PM

I would get what you are saying if it just happened this year but it has been happening for years. It is the coaches job to get the 5th year seniors to play smart, not turn the ball over, and put together good O. Blame it on the players all you want but they are the coaches players. If all the players consistently cannot be clutch in crunch time it is the coaches fault.

I would agree to the point that the players on the floor

Feb 16, 2019, 3:06 PM

simply don't have it in them. Even as a freshman Devoe wanted to take the big shot. I don't think he made any until his senior year, but he at least wanted it. Other than Stitt, he's the only guy we've had like that in Brownell's tenure. Guys who really performed under pressure. The guys who do that are the ones not afraid to fail. This group, just like JB's senior year, presses when the pressure is on. That's on them

Re: I would agree to the point that the players on the floor

Feb 16, 2019, 4:59 PM

Agreed but it is BBs job to find those guys and bring them to Clemson. I know it's hard to win in basketball at Clemson. This team could still turn it on and make a good run this year tho. I still have faith. Win our next 3 and UNC comes to town maybe top 5. I just am tired of losing the close games. I want our basketball team to be as good as our football team. I know that has a lot more to do with just the coach but BB has had long enough and has shown us that this is what we are gonna be. A mediocre ACC team. Now many no coach can consistently make Clemson basketball a power house but maybe we can come across a guy like Dabo or a big name that can turn the corner. Maybe BB does it this year but if not I think it may be time to roll the dice. We will never find out if we can be great or not if we stick with the guy that has had us mediocre for this many years. Now maybe we start winning these close games and get back to the sweet 16 further and I will forgive what I have said but if we do not win the next 3 it is time imo. I doubt he goes anywhere with the buyout but if we want to win in basketball like we do football people have to be held accountable and to higher standards.

Feb 16, 2019, 2:55 PM

Louisville is not a top 15 team and just might miss the Dance themselves.
This was a game we could of and should have won.

Feb 16, 2019, 3:03 PM

Louisville is a lock and will make the dance.

Feb 16, 2019, 3:34 PM

Great effort but another loss......Why does CBB have such a hard time winning close games.....he always finds a way to lose the close ones at the end......just look at his record in close games decided in the final minute.... very disappointed again is all I can say.....Go Tigers!!!!!!

At some point players have to make plays.

Feb 16, 2019, 3:53 PM

Talent eventually wins, no matter how good the coaching or effort might be. We have to continue to recruit more talent. It has improved, but must get better.

So you missed when we were up by 7??

Feb 16, 2019, 5:33 PM

And let them come back and eventually go up 7?

You can’t praise our comeback without mentioning theirs. Nice try though ??

Replies: 44
| visibility 3,101
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic