Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Walt & Boyd are right
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,854

Walt & Boyd are right

Aug 14, 2018, 5:57 PM

This VETERAN laden team will have more to say about who starts at QB than anyone else.

They gonna favor the guy that went to battle with them last season.

Cole/DW4 comparison Idjits, no comparison, there was no incumbent QB that year

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amazing that the KB dumpers don't get that...

Aug 14, 2018, 6:10 PM

You can't just bench a veteran leader like that without causing serious turmoil within the team.

An athletic team is a little like a military unit. There is esprit de corps that has to be maintained.

If TL is indeed the better QB, then he will gradually transition into the starter. It can't happen right away. The team will have to see that and buy in.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Been saying for months ...

Aug 14, 2018, 6:19 PM

When Coach and CW say TL can start, TL will start ... pressure is on Coach and KB to win it all. Anything else is a disservice to the talent on this team. It's the best in Clemson history less DW4.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let me get this straight...

Aug 14, 2018, 8:47 PM

“Incumbent QB”, players (not coaches) deciding the starting QB, and to you these are the reasonable, optimal factors that should determine the 1st team QB at Clemson?

“They gonna...”

And you presume to call someone, ANYONE, an “idjit”? The irony there is striking.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Walt & Boyd are right

Aug 14, 2018, 8:54 PM

That's cool... Wonder what that veteran group will have to say if he pulls a Tajh 2.0 FSU 2013 game vs the other team that has the shot to control the Atlantic??

Aug 14, 2018, 8:54 PM

Honestly, I still see BOTH QB's getting a lot of action this year. Even Chase will get a lot of reps IMO. I picture a 2-QB system this year. This has been done numerous times and sometimes it works pretty well. We have 2 excellent QB's so they could have a bad day and still win the game. I don't think Dabo is all that worried. He's still too giddy about it.

Aug 14, 2018, 10:47 PM

That’s what I’ve been thinking. Have kelly in for the QB runs and some short passing plays but have TL in when we need to get the ball downfield. Kelly did make some really good throws last year and i think a lot of people are forgetting about that. He’s had a whole offseason to improve his downfield passing game so we should see him improve in that area. But TL is on a different level when it comes to putting the ball right on the money or at least in the same “zip code” as Dabo put it today. I could see a 2 QB system early on until one separates himself from the other. Don’t forget about Chase, he could see some playing time as well. During one of the spring practice interviews Hunter Renfrow seemed to favor chase over the others

Plus, Walt also pointed out that the most talented QB

Aug 14, 2018, 9:51 PM

will not necessarily start. The QB that is the most capable and ready of leading this team and winning will start. People who think the most talented QB is automatically the one that gives us the best chance of winning are simply wrong and don't have a clue what they are talking about. That is exactly what may apply in this case. I disagree with Walt A LOT, but he's spot on here.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Talent is meaningless if a player hasn’t reached

Aug 14, 2018, 10:40 PM

his potential. Deshaun was the best QB on the roster the second he stepped on campus. In hindsight it’s reasonable to say that he should have started game 1 as a true freshman and remained the starter in 2014 with no interruption.

It’s clear that our offense is designed to stretch the field in order to open up the rushing attack. If the downfield passing threat is diminished, our offense struggles. The threat of Deshaun as a runner made us VERY dangerous... and his ability to run was aided greatly by the fact that LBs and safeties had to respect his ability to pick them apart over the middle, WELL PAST the line of scrimmage. Leggett and Renfrow LIVED there.

We must play the QB who does those things the best. Period.

Letting the team pick the starting QB is ludicrous, regardless of what team or what QB. Any coach who has abdicated that decision to the players has LOST HIS TEAM. I don’t believe that’s the case here. Dabo has said that what you did last year is not what determines your place on the chart this year.

You play the QB who maximizes the offense. Players ought to support their teammates, but they need to stay out of the conversation about starters. To suggest otherwise is to undermine the coaches leadership. When games are on the line that could be disastrous.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The armchair QB'S and OC'S can say what they will

Aug 14, 2018, 11:43 PM

But it was awesome the way Elliot/Scott used DW4's running ability in the back to back NC appearances. They rarely used him on the ground until seasons end, saved his legs for when we needed them.

Our offense is definitely predicated on the long ball and the QB being able to run. When both are clicking the offense is unstoppable.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

In hindsight, it may be reasonable, but we didn't have the

Aug 15, 2018, 12:05 AM [ in reply to Talent is meaningless if a player hasn’t reached ]

benefit of hindsight then, and we don't have it in this situation either. The decision that was made then, with DW, was very reasonable, even if it can be argued, in hindsight, that it was the wrong decision. The suggestion that it was done out of blind loyalty or because Dabo always goes with experience over talent is laughable and downright foolish. DW simply responded to the challenge better and quicker than the coaches thought he could, and when they realized it, he took over almost immediately. There is no lesson to be learned from that; this is an entirely different situation. I agree that we should play the player who maximizes the offense, but leadership, experience, and decision making most definitely factor into that. What's more, we have no idea which player that is at this point. None.

This whole QB "controversy" is nothing more than human nature, and it's playing out again, just as it has many, many times before here on T-Net. People desperately want to believe that the guy waiting in the wings is better than the current guy or the last guy. They become fully invested in the idea, and set about building a case to support their hopes, refusing to consider any other possibility. I understand it.

Also, our coaches understand the importance of stretching the field with the downfield passing game, and the are aware of our shortcomings at times in that area last year. They have talked about it, and the need for improvement this year. I'm 100% ceratin that will factor heavily into their decision.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Geezus people! You want to listen to a pompous yankee that

Aug 14, 2018, 10:24 PM

is wrong far more than he is right and thinks Paul Johnson is the greatest coach in college football?

Re: Geezus people! You want to listen to a pompous yankee that

Aug 14, 2018, 10:30 PM

You from Baltimore and calling somebody a yankee??? Priceless

Yep***

Aug 14, 2018, 10:53 PM

Re: Geezus people! You want to listen to a pompous yankee that

Aug 14, 2018, 10:40 PM [ in reply to Geezus people! You want to listen to a pompous yankee that ]

Great post Baltimore, even fellow Yankees know Dipshitula is a tool!

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,854
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic