»
Topic: Wait a minute. Just how lenient are the representation laws in the Olympics?
Replies: 5   Last Post: Feb 13, 2018 1:28 PM by: henry®
[ Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 5  

Wait a minute. Just how lenient are the representation laws in the Olympics?

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 12:03 AM

A snowboarder from Park City UT could've represented Great Britain cause of his dad, Russia cause of his mom and of course the USA cause of himself.

But who does he represent? Ireland. Because apparently his grandparents were born there? How in the world does that qualify him for Ireland?

Re: Wait a minute. Just how lenient are the representation laws in the Olympics?

[3]
Posted: Feb 13, 2018 1:22 AM

Well, to answer your question the most simply: there aren't laws regarding this. You can represent whoever you want so long as you are a citizen. And if that country finds you useful (ie, you can compete in the olympics) they'll often loosen or waive many citizenship requirements.

So hypothetically (and only hypothetically, because I haven't seen anything about this guy) he barely misses the US team cut and calls up Ireland who likely has a small delegation. He tells them "hey, my grandparents are from there and I'd like to be a citizen... oh and by the way, I'm an olympic-level athlete". Lo and behold, guess who is a newly-minted citizen and is competing for Ireland.

2018 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: Wait a minute. Just how lenient are the representation laws in the Olympics?

[1]
Posted: Feb 13, 2018 1:27 AM

https://www.americanbar.org/publications/insights_on_law_andsociety/16/spring-2016/citizenship-and-the-olympics.html

Interesting read.

And to clarify my other post: there aren't "laws", just olympic rules (which, notably, aren't the same as laws, national or otherwise).

2018 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Ireland specifically has that citizenship policy.

[1]
Posted: Feb 13, 2018 5:03 AM

If your grandparents were born there, you can claim Irish citizenship.

During the opening ceremony

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 6:06 AM

When they wouldn't shut the #### up and just let us watch, one of the things they were yammering on about was the time Azerbaijan recruited a bunch of athletes from elsewhere and they hung the flag upside down outside their apartment because they'd never seen it before.

There was a big stink and their Olympic committee basically said would you rather have no one there at all?

if he identifies as irish who are you to question it***

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 1:28 PM

2018 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg

Replies: 5  
Clemson Gear
Clemson Gear

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Season Tickets
FOR SALE: Selling two season tickets in section UG, row F, lower level, south stands. Asking $1,425 each with ...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre ]
Start New Topic
719 people have read this post