Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Very Odd Decision by Dabo
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

Very Odd Decision by Dabo

Dec 2, 2014, 4:08 PM

Paint me red and tie me to the barn. After pausing for a minute, this can only mean one thing: Dabo plans to get involved in the offense again.

Not good. I had though he'd learned his lesson after the Napier disaster. Apparently not. Chad kept him out of the offense for the most part, which was good. This is Dabo being Dabo. He looks at a guy, likes him, and says "You can do this." Kind of like Stoudt.

"IF" this turns out badly--IF--this is a firing offense in my book for wasting the talent we now have on offense. I honestly wanted Dabo to at least go through the interview process, at the very least to give the "appearance" to the fanbase and boosters that we'd hired the best OC candidate.....but that isn't going to be the case.

The jury's out until after the bowl game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Jeff Scott is 34 years old, not 23.

Dec 2, 2014, 4:10 PM

It's hard to believe that he's not a kid any more, but he is a grown man. We're just getting old !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jeff Scott is 34 years old, not 23.

Dec 2, 2014, 4:11 PM

Scott is an unproven commodity at this point. Age has nothing to do with it. There are good OC's out there in their 20's.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Well, thankfully he is the coach and not you !***

Dec 2, 2014, 4:15 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well, thankfully he is the coach and not you !***

Dec 2, 2014, 4:17 PM

Ad hominem attack? I guess that's all you've got then. Should have known better than to engage someone of your ilk in discussion.

Screw Calford.

Like you really have something. Don't flatter yourself !***

Dec 2, 2014, 4:27 PM

OP has a pathetic agenda he is trying to push.

Dec 2, 2014, 4:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Jeff Scott is 34 years old, not 23. ]

Nothing to see here.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, winning is pathetic according to you?

Dec 2, 2014, 4:37 PM

This place has become surreal.

Screw Calford.

Re: OP has a pathetic agenda he is trying to push.

Dec 2, 2014, 4:52 PM [ in reply to OP has a pathetic agenda he is trying to push. ]

Na, he's just asking questions--which he should. We've got a team full of great athletes, and we didn't even take a look at an OC. This smells.

Dec 3, 2014, 11:07 AM

That talent is at Clemson because of Dabo and Scott and Elliot and the other recruiting coaches.
As far as winning this years seniors won more than any other group including Danny Fords group.

Dec 3, 2014, 12:42 PM

> That talent is at Clemson because of Dabo and Scott
> and Elliot and the other recruiting coaches.
> As far as winning this years seniors won more than
> any other group including Danny Fords group.

I hate it when people say something along the lines of your last sentence. While technically true they became the winningest group of seniors with the 41 wins, no one seems to take into account they have played more games than were available to the group that won 40. The 1990 seniors were 40-8 (.8333 wining %) and one of only 4 programs in the country to win 40 or more games iduring that same 4 year period. Just FYI for those who may not know those 4 programs were Miami, FSU, Oklahoma, and Clemson. This group is currently 41-11 (.7884 win %) with a chance to be 42-11 (.7924 win %) provided they win the bowl game and while I'm not going to look it up for the exact numbers, with the potential 14 games (now 15 if you make it to the NC game) per season, there are more than 4 teams that can lay claim to the 40+ wins in 4 years now so it simply doesn't carry the same weight if did back then. (Even the coots can claim 40 for the last 4 years provided they win their bowl game and 42 for the 4 previous years)

Bottom line - it just irks me that the current stats that are breaking all the previous records are at least qualified by the number of games that were played that it took to accomplish said record. No different than if a RB set a record of 3000 yards in a 12 game season and it was broken by a RB who rushed for 3100 yards in a 14 game season. Total is still greater but the 12 game record was more impressive!

Unproven, look at how many of his receivers are in the NFL...

Dec 2, 2014, 5:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Jeff Scott is 34 years old, not 23. ]

He is a great recruiter. He has been around football his whole life. And his father was a good OC.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jeff Scott is 34 years old, not 23.

Dec 3, 2014, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Jeff Scott is 34 years old, not 23. ]

uproven to to whom. Dabo has worked with him for quite a while and observed him everyday doing his job . Obviously he has proven himself to the person he needed to.

You're 100% wrong, but ok.

Dec 2, 2014, 4:10 PM

Jeff Scott is the play caller. Plain and simple. Dabo will have nothing to do with the offense. Elliott was going to leave, prob to SMU as OC as Scott would have also. Elliott will consult, help develop game plans and me the main person to handle recruiting. The title is a sign of respect to Elliott, just like to Hobby on D.

Really? Then obviously you must know something I don't.

Dec 2, 2014, 4:12 PM

What makes you think Scott will have all the play calling duties?

Screw Calford.

For those in the know, it's been the plan for 2 years.

Dec 2, 2014, 4:24 PM

Dabo has said he doesn't want a great team, but a great program. You have a great system, you keep it running. By going out and trying to find the "next big guy" you tear up that system. If you do it right, like Dabo is trying to do, you keep guys learning and never miss a beat. That's how you build a great program with an indentity.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

"For those in the know"? Is that like the brother of the

Dec 2, 2014, 4:39 PM

next door neighbor whose uncle's cousin (by marriage) used to work with a guy who knew somebody who is a high school coach that knows some of the coaches at Clemson?

Or is that just what some people on Tigernet or WCCP have said?

Or do you personally know somebody in the athletic department at Clemson?

I'm not saying you're wrong, just curious about your sources.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

OK. Please enlighten us how you know Dabo will give full

Dec 2, 2014, 4:44 PM [ in reply to For those in the know, it's been the plan for 2 years. ]

control of the offense to Scott.

I'll hang up and listen.

Screw Calford.

Re: OK. Please enlighten us how you know Dabo will give full

Dec 3, 2014, 12:50 PM

I believe he is doing the same thing you are, making a big assumption. Yours is no better than his. Also, please hang up and never call back...

WARNING: all material posted by kfast600 is not to be taken seriously and can make you dumber than you were before, if that is actually possible.

Was Jeff Scott not deamed Morris' protege?

Dec 2, 2014, 4:27 PM [ in reply to Really? Then obviously you must know something I don't. ]

That's all you need to know...

Calm down.

Dec 2, 2014, 4:41 PM [ in reply to Really? Then obviously you must know something I don't. ]

Jeff Scott is going to succeed

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: Really? Then obviously you must know something I don't.

Dec 3, 2014, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Really? Then obviously you must know something I don't. ]

I am not sure but I do think one of them will have game day duties.. Please use common sense if you and I can figure that out I am sure Dabo can.

Re: You're 100% wrong, but ok.

Dec 2, 2014, 4:14 PM [ in reply to You're 100% wrong, but ok. ]

Elliot was never leaving. He was recruiting guys in Charleston yesterday and talked with a good friend of mine. He was never going with CM. Never even considered it.

And this is simply a way to reward TE for the work he has put in at Clemson. He will game plan and make personnel decisions with JS but JS is the play caller

Re: You're 100% wrong, but ok.

Dec 2, 2014, 4:36 PM

People on here are worse than women...

"Elliot was going to SMU with Morris"....speculating sh*t based off of absolutely nothing...Gossip Queens, man

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

You have ZERO reason to think he's gonna get involved in

the offense. Could he? Sure.

But Dabo is two things: 1. a planner and 2. someone who takes care of his coaches.

This isn't a kneejerk decision. He's drawn the lines and boundaries clearly, well before making this announcement.

Every "co-OC" situtaion, which is quite common, has a single playcaller. The reason's for "co" are numerous, but include keeping your staff under the minimum coaches and helping your coaches advance.

By doing this, we potentially keep both guys as position coaches, leaving us at the NCAA number of 9, with no turnover (after hiring a QB coach).

Dabo also takes care of his coaches, and he could be rewarding Tony for his work with the title. The title alone will get him interviews in the years to come.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: You have ZERO reason to think he's gonna get involved in

Dec 2, 2014, 4:13 PM

Obviously Dabo takes care of his people. That wasn't my point. But will he get more involved in the offense now? You bet he will.

Screw Calford.

I think that's what you want to happen... so when we don't

Dec 2, 2014, 4:16 PM

move the ball... you can go after Dabo again

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: I think that's what you want to happen... so when we don't

Dec 2, 2014, 4:19 PM

No, I just don't want him play calling. He's a good CEO, not a play caller.

And no, Dabo won't be the target. It will be the AD for letting this happen.

Screw Calford.

Dec 2, 2014, 4:19 PM [ in reply to Re: You have ZERO reason to think he's gonna get involved in ]

Do you think he wasn't involved with Chad? Really, I am not saying he told Chad what to do, how to do, our anything like that but yes he was involved. Would you rest your job on sometime else and not be "involved"

Dec 2, 2014, 4:21 PM

Obviously he's involved, get real. I'm talking about play calling, which he really left to Morris. That wasn't the case when Napier was there and we all saw what happened.

Screw Calford.

As you said in this post...

Dec 3, 2014, 12:51 AM [ in reply to Re: You have ZERO reason to think he's gonna get involved in ]

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=16411434

...how can YOU be so sure Dabo will call plays? Like Dabo says...back away from the ledge!

Dec 3, 2014, 11:29 AM [ in reply to Re: You have ZERO reason to think he's gonna get involved in ]

Dabo has always said the offense is a Clemson offense not a Morris offense. I cant believe any one thinks Dabo was not involved in the offense and defense already.

Do you honest think Dabo wasn't involved with this offense?

My ###, he's the head coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This isn't a knee jerk reaction on Dabo's part......

as it's safe to say he's been planning for some time for Morris to get hired away - you can be sure he's had plans in place for when it happened.

Dabo will live or die as a HC by these types of decisions...

Dec 2, 2014, 4:13 PM

and while I think this is a risky move, if Dabo is determined to try to hang himself, the least we can do is give him all the rope he needs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Dabo will live or die as a HC by these types of decisions...

Dec 2, 2014, 4:15 PM

It is risky, which is exactly my point. I don't see any upside here to make this announcement so soon.

Screw Calford.

If you are going to promote form within, there are upsides***

Dec 2, 2014, 4:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Upside: recruits aren't left hanging, Scott and Elliott are

Dec 2, 2014, 4:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo will live or die as a HC by these types of decisions... ]

prolific recruiters and our recruits love them. They will know that we aren't going to a different offensive philosophy by bringing in someone from the outside.

Re: Upside: recruits aren't left hanging, Scott and Elliott are

Dec 2, 2014, 4:36 PM

I don't disagree with that. That obviously weighted into the decision as both Dabo and JS went on the recruiting trail today with some in-home visits.

Screw Calford.

Re: Dabo will live or die as a HC by these types of decisions...

Dec 3, 2014, 12:26 PM [ in reply to Dabo will live or die as a HC by these types of decisions... ]

dabo is set for life in that he has an eight year contract with a 29 million dollar buyout and over 3 million a year in salary. you better have some expensive rope and a lot of it if you think he hangs himself or we can fire him. if things go bad he fires one or both oc guys and moves along and places blame on them and not himself and hires the next oc. see napier and steele and repeat.

Charmin, Angel Soft, work well...but since

Dec 3, 2014, 12:44 PM

you shop at wal mart you might save money with White Cloud...since you need so much of it right now

It was a risky move...

Dec 3, 2014, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Dabo will live or die as a HC by these types of decisions... ]

hiring Morris, and that seemed to work out pretty well all things considered.

I have been FAR from being a Dabo "pumper", but in this case I trust his decision. If he thinks Jeff Scott is ready, and that having Tony Elliot collaborating will allow us to continue our process on offense, I'm fine with it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Very Odd Decision by Dabo

Dec 2, 2014, 4:14 PM

You're so right!!! It makes so much sense to judge this decision by the bowl game! Call Dabo and share your idea. You may have just had the best thought in CU history. Please call. CU needs your brilliance!!!

Dec 2, 2014, 4:16 PM

Because everyone who is inside the program is reporting that he will be the play caller. Dabo has been planning this for years. Chad groomed Jeff to take over. There was never going to be another candidate. Jeff is the guy and the majority of us understand that and trust him as a play caller.

This a brilliant move imo.

Dec 2, 2014, 4:21 PM

Both men have what it takes to do the job, they are ALL IN TIGERS, AND it keeps our recruiting duo together. This will help the team offensively, and recruiting. I'm totally on board with Dabo's decision. The man knows what he's doing.

do you honestly think chad's move to smu surprised anyone,

Dec 2, 2014, 4:32 PM

especially dabo ? he has thought about this move for a while. it is in no way a knee-jerk reaction nor an stop-gap measure. do we know who else we are bringing on staff - no. so at least give him the opportunity to complete his staff without ********* about what you perceive to be a bad move. it may be to help shore up our commits and future recruits,etc. it might just be the best move we can make at this time to keep this train rolling !!!!
jeff scott has 1 high school title, the chad had what - 2, in how many more years of coaching h.s. ball ? jeff has been around football his entire life, i am sure he knows a thing or 3 about the game. chad had been in college ball what 4 years ? how about jeff ?
tony elliott has done a good job as a collegiate coach so far, but i just don't know as much about his pre-clemson coaching roles as i do jeff's, but i'll trust dabo on this - until it is time not to.this is no way a slight to tony, as he is a clemson man and i am sure "all-in".

Exactly...well said!***

Dec 2, 2014, 4:38 PM

Care to explain how you arrived at this conclusion?***

Dec 2, 2014, 4:35 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Dec 2, 2014, 4:39 PM

Dabo is keeping the situation calm and stable. Letting the offensive recruits see the house in order, not in chaos. Imo

Here is exactly why they are Co-Coordinators...

Dec 2, 2014, 4:46 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Deon-Cain-153402;_ylt=AwrBT_wdMn5U1bAAXfhXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzOTQ0ajVxBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDU0OV8x

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-RayRay-McCloud-142415;_ylt=A0LEV1qJMn5Uk.YA7F1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzc2tsdXN2BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDU0OV8x
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Mitch-Hyatt-143422

Look who is listed as their recruiters....

Dabo is rewarding the coaches as well as keeping things in recruiting in tact...Thats probably the only "diabolical" scheme that Dabo has going on right now...

Message was edited by: jsebe10®

Message was edited by: jsebe10®

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

I trust Dabo on this...

Dec 2, 2014, 4:46 PM

Since 2011, he has anticipated Morris moving on. This is not a quick decision. He has strategized for years on this and prepared accordingly. Yes, the Napier experience did not work out, but he dealt with that quickly, as he did in firing Spence upon becoming Interim. Steele looked like it was trending good and then the bottom fell out and he dealt with it quickly. Morris was a home run. Venables has so far been a home run. He knows what he is doing. If it plays out bad, he will deal with it.

I wish DW would have started from the get go, but it only took just over 2 games before he became QB1. And while I don't get it, I imagine there is something behind that decision that ultimately helps DW for his career here and for his life in general.

This is pretty common actually.

Dec 2, 2014, 4:54 PM

A little research will show you that Ohio State, Auburn, Oregon, and TCU among many other schools have co-coordinators. I'd say it's working out ok for them.

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

100% correct ^^^^^***

Dec 2, 2014, 5:24 PM

100% SPECULATION***

Dec 2, 2014, 4:58 PM

Dec 2, 2014, 5:30 PM

Change your name to RidgelandRooster

Here's my theory

Dec 2, 2014, 5:38 PM

Like everyone else has said its a reward to two young and very hard working coaches. Scott will probably be the play caller and will have Elliot consult him during game planning. Also let's say four years down the road Scott leaves to become HC somewhere else, we already have a great transition to Elliot as full time OC.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Dec 3, 2014, 11:03 AM

Well thankfully the powers that be pay no attention to you or your opinion.
Dabo has made nothing but great choices sense he has been at Clemson. People like you just do not like him and you question everything he does. The only problem is he just keeps winning and winning and getting more and more and even better players.
Please just give the Dabo bashing a rest. The talent you acuse him of wasting is here because of him or one of the assistant coaches Dabo hired. ( I am quite certain Dabo can coach offense or defense)

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic