Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Urgent - possible ESPN - problem beware !
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Urgent - possible ESPN - problem beware !

Apr 21, 2018, 6:21 PM

It appears ESPN is now locking down different content on the watch ESPN app . I have valid access to the access to ESPN 3 through my tv provider. All the ACC network content is now not available as well as all content not actually shown on my tv . The games are listed , but when selected I see a message that states “ content not available through my tv subscription “ . Example Clemson Wake baseball game not available. This is a New issue.

It appears to me eSPN has changed the content availability through watch espn/ espn3 apps.

As old and slow as I am, I am certain that u am not the first to discover this. Can someone please shed light on the issue, and any solution? My blood pressure is rising, and I am having nightmares about what this will mean for football season?

TIA
-esso

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I noticed the same.

Apr 21, 2018, 6:26 PM

I can watch ACC/E$PN content on my iPad, but I can’t cast it to my TV via Chromecast. But, I can watch the content on my TV via the E$PN app on my Roku stick.

Go figure.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

I think that as soon as your Roku stick

Apr 21, 2018, 6:33 PM

I think that as soon as your Roku stick updates your watch espn app, you will lose the ability to see it that way. That just occurred on my Roku box. This is scary going into football. It looks to me like ESPN is locking down subsets of content .

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What number is your Roku box? I was watching the

Apr 21, 2018, 6:40 PM

baseball game on my Roku 4 stick.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: What number is your Roku box? I was watching the

Apr 21, 2018, 6:42 PM

I have the roku Premier+ , it is one step behind the Ultra

Re: What number is your Roku box? I was watching the

Apr 21, 2018, 8:13 PM

and I have no idea what you two are talking about. Apparently, the Roku Box has not hit my home town.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

here is the roku box

Apr 21, 2018, 8:50 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can use the app.

Apr 21, 2018, 6:26 PM

No problem here, Esso. I have DTvNow for what it's worth.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I can use the app.

Apr 21, 2018, 6:30 PM

When is the ACC network supposed to launch?

Apr 21, 2018, 6:31 PM

I think ??

No issues here.

Apr 21, 2018, 6:30 PM

I'm not having trouble streaming it on my PC. I'm on Comcast Xfinity.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No issues here.

Apr 21, 2018, 6:35 PM

I am on HULU and it seems lots of stuff that was available live last week through the Watch Espn app is now locked down in Knoxvile TN

Re: No issues here.

Apr 21, 2018, 6:41 PM

That's weird. But if you suspect it's location-specific, you might want to look at VPN masking software.

Also. we won 4-3. =)***

Apr 21, 2018, 6:42 PM [ in reply to Re: No issues here. ]

Re: Urgent - possible ESPN - problem beware !

Apr 21, 2018, 6:34 PM

They just started that "ESPN+" thing that's got a lot of added content, but it requires an additional subscription.

You should still be able to stream whatever ESPN channels you have - in my case I have DirectTVNow so all I have is ESPN and ESPN2 - but I do NOT have a subscription for, say, SEC Network or Longhorns Network or ESPNU so I can't watch or replay anything that appears on those channels.

"ESPN+" is like that, just an additional channel. That might be what you can't get.

Apr 21, 2018, 6:39 PM

quozzel said:

They just started that "ESPN+" thing that's got a lot of added content, but it requires an additional subscription.

You should still be able to stream whatever ESPN channels you have - in my case I have DirectTVNow so all I have is ESPN and ESPN2 - but I do NOT have a subscription for, say, SEC Network or Longhorns Network or ESPNU so I can't watch or replay anything that appears on those channels.

"ESPN+" is like that, just an additional channel. That might be what you can't get.

I expected that was the probable culprit , but can't figure out if ESPN+ is something that can be subscribed to from espn or if it has to be available through your tv provider? in my case hulu. Hulu acted like I was crazy when I was trying to explain that , I had lost half my content overnight

Apr 21, 2018, 6:42 PM

I think it's an additional $4.99 a month.

I was actually eyeballing it because there is some pretty durn good added content on there. Like MLS games are hard to get, normally, but they're all bundled up in there.

Probably a money-grab by ESPN, but they are giving with one hand while taking with the other.

Apr 21, 2018, 6:44 PM

quozzel said:

I think it's an additional $4.99 a month.

I was actually eyeballing it because there is some pretty durn good added content on there. Like MLS games are hard to get, normally, but they're all bundled up in there.

Probably a money-grab by ESPN, but they are giving with one hand while taking with the other.

Where did you see it listed ? i.e 4.99 per month? I havent found where I can subscribe to it from, at least not through the Hulu app.

Apr 21, 2018, 6:48 PM

https://plus.espn.com/

my understanding is that ESPN+

Apr 21, 2018, 6:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Urgent - possible ESPN - problem beware ! ]

Is strictly a Roku thing. I just watched the game streaming from Amazon Firestick. Also had no problems streaming on iPhone and iPad. My advice would be to spend $39 and get a Firestick. I have 3 of them as well as an Apple TV and an older model Roku.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 21, 2018, 6:40 PM

no problem here??

Apr 21, 2018, 6:58 PM

I had the same trouble earlier in the year. I uninstalled the ESPN app then re-installed. Been working fine since. Hope this helps.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 21, 2018, 7:01 PM

Problem solved , but you A'int gonna like this.....

Apr 21, 2018, 7:08 PM

All the content that was available to you on the watch ESPN app, but that was not included on a channel available on your actual TV through your TV provider (ATT, Hulu, Cox, Charter etc) is in the process of being or has already been restricted.

Indeed the Watch "ESPN Plus" , under the cover of adding new original content and etc, alos includes all those channels that they have now, or will soon have restricted from the "Watch ESPN" app. They are doing this through controls in the "Watch ESPN app". This is somwhat brilliant money grab by ESPN! They make you subscribe to the 4.99 per month "add on" outside of the tv provider model.

They can now , cut the cable and TV content providers " out of the loop and go directly to the consumer to sell added content. I cant think of a way the TV providers can stop ESPN from doing this , short of stopping offering espn, and they cant do that.

I proved this to be the case by signing up for the "espn plus" 7 day free trial . And magically I got my content back within the watch espn application. My test case was Clemson baseball. The very end of the broadcast.

It would seem, that ESP would be able to easily offer pay per views , and everything else if they chose to.

I am not concerned about the 4.99 per month, but is does give ESPN a great deal of power going forward.

-esso

Re: Problem solved , but you A'int gonna like this.....

Apr 21, 2018, 7:54 PM

Did you read this somewhere, or did you just get access by doing the ESPN+ preview? The reason I'm asking is I have a Roku and I didn't have any trouble bringing up ACC Network. Did you make any changes to your TV plan recently that may have screwed with your access?

Re: Problem solved , but you A'int gonna like this.....

Apr 21, 2018, 8:19 PM

I just did it by adding the preview. I do not think ESPN has made the changes for all versions if the watch ESPN app. I don't think it has anything to do with your TV provider ” unless”, somehow TV providers have the option of ”eating” the 4.99 per month for their subscribers. I did notice that now in my Roku settings on the ESPN app that there was a new option yo sign In from my espn+ account in addition to my tv provider. I did that with my trial ESPN plus app and the content was then back

Apr 21, 2018, 8:53 PM

With Sling, I still have all ACC and other ESPN spinoffs.

Apr 21, 2018, 9:00 PM

You do for now... But they are working through the list. They can't make the change until they get the add on app ready. I am no expert, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last year

Apr 21, 2018, 9:18 PM

I too have recently had the same situation. Spectrum acquired Time Warner in the Midlands and once football season entered this calendar year I started getting the content message.

I have not tried to watch from my phone recently, but will call Spectrum if I continue having issues.

Apr 21, 2018, 10:24 PM

Direct TV has been having this issue for some time now. I called and they said they are actively working on it...... that was 2-3 months ago??

Apr 21, 2018, 11:20 PM

Direct TV has been having this issue for some time now. I called and they said they are actively working on it...... that was 2-3 months ago??

To me it is just an aggravant right now. Come football season, it will be a mess !

Got yesterday’s game

Apr 22, 2018, 8:58 AM

on my Commodore 64.

No problems.

Apr 22, 2018, 11:45 AM

Comcast Xfinity & an older model Roku work just fine for me.

Apr 22, 2018, 12:18 PM

Means if you don’t pay for ESPN multiple package
You can’t stream.
Do you pay for ESPNU ?

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic