Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tre Lamar is the key to beating Auburn
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Tre Lamar is the key to beating Auburn

Aug 15, 2017, 4:53 PM

They are the only O-line that our D-line won't man handle this year imo.

Our D-line will make plays, but Pettway will have a hole or two because Auburn's O-line is really good.

I think we beat Auburn, but if Lamar gets caught flat footed or is in the wrong spot & Auburn can get balance on offense they could exploit our depth on the d-line by getting us tired. If we can't make them 1 dimensional they can outscore us imo.

I do think he will play well though. He didn't play much last year, but when he did he was where he needed to be & made big plays.

But imo, that's where the rubber meets the road in that matchup.

What say you?

Go Tigers!

???

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tre Lamar is the key to beating Auburn

Aug 15, 2017, 5:00 PM

Huggins, Pinckney, and Robinson are no slouches coming in off the bench...Add to that the praise Williams has been getting in camp and I think we will be more than fine...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2017, 5:13 PM

I think those guys are good too, but Auburn avg 6'4.5, 318 along the line with a lot of talent, a big RB, & a QB that can sling it.

Auburn would have the advantage if those guys are counted on for too many snaps. This is where losing Pagano hurts. He commands a double team, those guys don't imo. Not yet at least, but they could surprise me.

Go Tigers!

???

Aug 15, 2017, 5:08 PM

"they can outscore us" .. so you are predicting that if Tre Lamar is flat-footed during the game we will lose? I think there are much more important match-ups that will determine the game than this brief insight.

Aug 15, 2017, 5:21 PM

> "they can outscore us" .. so you are predicting that
> if Tre Lamar is flat-footed during the game we will
> lose? I think there are much more important match-ups
> that will determine the game than this brief insight.

I would have to disagree.

Against Auburn HUNH & Sugar Huddle tempo offense there is no more important role than that of the MLB.

If they can get to & by him & he's not on his P's & Q's, then you're in trouble...especially with their QB this year. If they can run play action they can beat us, cause I think we score 24-27 points against them.

If our D ##### down Pettway we are able to tee off on the pass rush, Auburn will score less than 24 imo.

Go Tigers!

???

Aug 15, 2017, 5:22 PM

If our D shuts downs pettway**

Not sure what the edit was

Go Tigers!

???

Aug 15, 2017, 5:44 PM

That's always been the killer with a Malzahn offense. It resembles ours in a lot of ways - there's no doubt Morris borrowed the core concepts from Malzahn - but whereas our passing game has some really elaborate option routes and checks and about 34 flavors, their passing game is a lot more basic - and they have 34 flavors in the running game.

Like us, they want to cause some indecision with the eyeline of the LB's. Step late, read late, hesitate...whatever, that's what Gus is looking to create and he'll do it with a ton of eye candy.

The ironic part is, Kelly Bryant really is more of a Malzahn-type QB whereas Stidham would have suited what we do to a T - so Clemson and Auburn are likely going to trade offenses this year. But Stidham or no Stidham, I do think Clemson basically focuses on crushing the run and winning the LOS - and, incidentally, getting to Stidham.

Stidham is really good. He was a 5-star coming out of high school and posted some good numbers in the 2.5 games he started for Baylor in 2015. He threw for 419 yards and 3 TD's his first start, on the road at night against K-State, for instance. There's a caveat to that: K-State ranked 106th in defense that year. He lost his next game at home against Oklahoma (ranked #39 in total D that year, also crushed by us in the playoffs) and threw two picks. He had thrown for another 258 yards and a TD against Oklahoma State the next week before repeated hits (from the Cowboys' #100-rated D) took Stidham out for the remainder of the season. He transferred after 2015 and hasn't played a college game since.

So he looked good - against some absolutely dreadful defenses. It will be another thing altogether to face Clemson's D, at night, in the Valley, in what will be only his second start for Auburn. He might pull a Matt Ryan. He may also die an ugly death like Jake Bentley did.

But yeah, Lamar is the one who can control Pettway - and we need to keep him rolling downhill. I agree Malzahn will try to slow him with the eye candy and hopefully he'll be up for that. Given his background in high school (Roswell has the same offense Clemson and Auburn does), and how often he sees the Clemson O, I think it'll be easier for him than for most SEC defenders, who are used to 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust trench warfare, and not much eye candy.

Aug 15, 2017, 7:12 PM

You remember when we went to auburn and almost beat them the year they won it all, but they broke our QB. I could see a role reversal this year with Cdubs breaking Stidham in half.

First time I've ever agreed with you

Aug 15, 2017, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Tre Lamar is the key to beating Auburn ]

but I still think that Tre Lamar should be more weary of Kerryon Johnson than Kam Pettway. Kerryon is the shifty back that will get the edge. I think Tre's downhill style vs Pettway's bruising running is a perfect example of strength vs strength.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: First time I've ever agreed with you

Aug 15, 2017, 10:34 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VE-13u-NfVo

Go Tigers!

???

Aug 15, 2017, 6:07 PM

Sorry--I don't buy the Auburn hype. That program is 23-16 over the last three years. And that QB has never seen anything resembling our defense in Death Valley at night.

Clemson will beat Auburn for the 4th straight win over those people . . . and Auburn will not renew that series again. They'll have had enough of Clemson

...and next year, Dabo unseats Sumlin. ;~)***

Aug 15, 2017, 6:14 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tre Lamar will be the Grim Reaper of our defense

Aug 15, 2017, 8:06 PM

He is gonna punish ####### all year long.

I'm more confident in our LB than any other level of our defense. They will all be good though.

Aug 15, 2017, 10:36 PM

The key to us beating Auburn is just like the last couple tries ...show up and be Clemson .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic