Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Travel to College Station
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Travel to College Station

Jan 17, 2018, 8:23 PM

Planning to go this year. Advice on trip? Where to fly in to? Rental car? Hotel? Etc
Thanks for advice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Travel to College Station

Jan 17, 2018, 8:35 PM

I am sure that it has changed, but in 1976 I flew into Bryan/College Station on a small plane with 6 people. The flight back was me and the pilot.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2018, 9:20 PM

Can fly into College Station but costs about twice what it would to fly to Houston and get rental car. Worked there in 1955-57 and met my wife, a TCU girl. Would like to go back but too much strain for these old bones.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

D’ya think air travel MIGHT have changed a bit in 42 years?

Jan 17, 2018, 9:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Travel to College Station ]

??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

yep you can't smoke anymore***

Jan 17, 2018, 9:28 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: D’ya think air travel MIGHT have changed a bit in 42 years?***

Jan 17, 2018, 10:40 PM [ in reply to D’ya think air travel MIGHT have changed a bit in 42 years? ]

Jan 17, 2018, 10:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Travel to College Station ]

Is no one else curious what happened to these other people?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’ve never been, but I would think that flying into Houston or Austin

Jan 17, 2018, 8:51 PM

would make the most sense. You could rent a car and drive the 1.5-2 hours from there to College Station.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Houston IAH then 2 hr ish drive.

Jan 17, 2018, 9:04 PM

Rental car should be easy.

Definitely go for a Freebirds burrito, and go down to Northgate and check out the bars and the Chicken especially. Very good chicken fried steak.

Try Pappasito’s mexican restaurant before you fly out of IAH on your way out...

I live in Houston and went to both Clemson & A&M if you have any questions. Would take me 90 minutes to drive to CS from North Side of Houston.

Should be the best stadium we visit all year by a mile, and they are no pushover especially early in the season.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Houston IAH then 2 hr ish drive.

Jan 17, 2018, 9:20 PM

If you want to fly into CS, there is Easterwood Airport, but you'll pay extra for it. Tickets should be cheaper thru ABIA in Austin of George Bush Intercontinental on the north side of Houston. Get a rental or there is a shuttle service to CS from those airports if you have a hotel close to campus and like walking....

Freebirds is good along with Blackwater Draw and The Dixie Chicken for Northgate stops. A couple of Austin restaurants (HopDoddy Burger Bar and Torchy's Tacos) have expanded into CS.

Jan 17, 2018, 9:24 PM

I literally just happen to be speaking with my friend about this. The hotels in College Station are all already going for over $300 a night so we're going to be trying to get a room in West Houston since it's only about 90 minutes from College Station.

Look at Cypress, TX

Jan 18, 2018, 1:47 PM

I live in Cypress. It is 1.5 hours from College station and an easy drive. There are plenty of hotels in the Cypress area to choose from. E-mail me if you want more info on the area. I'd be glad to help. 1997tiger@gmail.com

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Look at Cypress, TX

Jan 18, 2018, 9:46 PM

Thanks man!!

Re: Look at Cypress, TX

Jan 18, 2018, 9:47 PM [ in reply to Look at Cypress, TX ]

I actually just looked up Cypress on the map, and I think that's where my friend had already planned on booking a hotel there! Great minds think alike!

It has been on my bucket list of venues.......

Jan 17, 2018, 10:35 PM

....already got the hotel. I also want to do a return trip to Austin. What a great place to visit.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CU TLGTN

What's the closest airport that can handle a G550???***

Jan 17, 2018, 10:36 PM

Re: What's the closest airport that can handle a G550???***

Jan 18, 2018, 2:16 PM

I don't know but I will drive the rental car if you take me!! :)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2018, 11:52 PM

Fly into either of the Houston airports (HOU or IAH), or Austin (AUS). From any of them it's about 90 minutes to 2 hours to College Station.

Good luck with a hotel, we booked 3 months ago and the pickings were starting to get slim.

Went in 2004

Jan 18, 2018, 2:17 AM

We flew into Houston and drove about 90 minutes. It's a fun trip.

You might be able to catch the Astros if they are home then.

Lots of good Tex Mex food and visit the Dixie Chicken in College Station.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hotel or AirBnB try

Jan 18, 2018, 1:21 PM

Try Brenham, Navasota, or Bryan Tx as options that are all less than a half hour away-ish.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fortunately, I have a large family scattered across the

Jan 18, 2018, 6:26 AM

Houston and southeast Texas area, so I'm planning on flying out and staying with them.

A large segment are A&M alumni and fans and are excited about traveling to the game with their Clemson kin, as they consider our game to be prime time.

I've flown from Charlotte into both Hobby and Bush and think the Hobby trip to be easier. Many family members live in the Sugar Land area, and there are a number of nice hotels facing the 59 (now I-69) off the US 90-A exit (Techniplex Drive area.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2018, 1:42 PM

I've been living down here in Texas for about four years now. I lived in New Braunfels, TX which is almost half way between San Antonio and Austin. I now live in Houston. I'd say that if you're going to fly that you can choose either San Antonio, Austin or Houston, then rent a car and drive up. I'd suggest flying in to Houston as you have two airports to choose from which drives prices down. Austin is perhaps the most expensive airport to fly into but San Antonio would give you the longest drive. I'd suggest staying in Houston or the Cypress area of Houston (NW corner) then take HWY 290 out of town to HWY 6 North to College Station. It's only about one hour and forty-five minutes from Cypress to College Station. I'll be going to this one for sure so if anybody needs any more local advice feel free to contact me: 1997tiger@gmail.com

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It would be great if the Texans had a game that Sunday

Jan 18, 2018, 10:21 PM

In Houston.... might have to make that trip.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic