Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Top Scoring Offense and the D's they've played
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Top Scoring Offense and the D's they've played

Oct 17, 2019, 3:17 PM

I was curious to look at the top scoring offense in the country and see the D's they've played. The top 4 offenses are LSU leads the way with 52.5 PPG. They are followed by Bama, OU and tosu. Clemson comes in at #14. There's nothing earth shattering in these numbers. I looked at the NCAA ranking of scoring defense and total defense. I also looked at the team's ranking. CBS ranks all teams from 1-130. It's probably not perfect but it's something.

Some notes
- Sorry about the weak graphic, but you get what you pay for :^)
- FCS teams are in red. SD St is actually a top 25 FCS team. NW State is probably near the bottom. Regardless, I ranked them 131 in all stats. Only USC and GT lose to FCS teams so they should rank low.
- P5 schools are Bold and Blue

Takeaways
- LSU has played a bunch of horrible D's. Their only saving grace is playing UF which has a respectable D unit by the numbers.
- The D's Clemson has faced are looking average at best. Based on this, our offensive numbers should be better. Okay, I know GT is redoing their offensive scheme, but their D should be this bad. Louisville's D is horrible so we should light up the scoreboard this weekend.
- Who would ever think you could say with accuracy "FSU is the worse D we've played and it isn't even close."
- OSU has probably played the "best" D's which isn't saying much.
- Of the teams on this list, the average SEC has the 70th ranked scoring D and 80th ranked total D. The ACC teams average the 73rd and 80th in the same categories. So the slogan should change to, "The SEC, it just means a little bit more."

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What the numbers don't account for...

Oct 17, 2019, 3:28 PM

are teams like Bama and Ohio State (as an example) playing their starters late into the third or early fourth quarter and, in ds doing, posting a bunch of gaudy videogame like stats.

Dabo has said time and time again that he's not going to do that. He wants to win but he's going to do it with class and not try to embarrass opponents. He's more interested in playing backups and building experienced depth.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

yep, and that is why everyone else is tired at the end

Oct 17, 2019, 3:34 PM

of the season. I am surprised that the competition hasn't caught on to that yet.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: yep, and that is why everyone else is tired at the end

Oct 17, 2019, 7:11 PM

They haven’t caught on that you need to be balanced either. OSU finally got the message. We’ll see, but lack of a balanced attack and defenses giving up lots of points are not hallmarks of great football teams. I’m also not impressed with LSU’s or Bamalama’s abilty to pressure the QB.

Re: yep, and that is why everyone else is tired at the end

Oct 17, 2019, 7:14 PM

Bamalama’s great teams would maul offensive backfields. This years Bamalama defense isn’t even in the same universe.

There's more to it than just that

Oct 17, 2019, 3:45 PM [ in reply to What the numbers don't account for... ]

Our offense has looked plenty clunky in the 1st halves of games too (and the entire UNC game) and i looked up Trevor's "usage" this morning (passing attempts + rushing attempts) and its only a fraction less than Tua and Fields and about 10% less than Hurts.

Trevor - 189
Fields - 198
Tua - 199
Hurts - 211

Also all of the good metrics filter out garbage time. Your starters play a half or so, build a big lead, and then none of the stats from the rest of the game are even counted.

Dabo's liberal subbing does play a small role in the metrics not liking Clemson as much, but not nearly as much as people are suggesting.

Don't get me wrong...

Oct 17, 2019, 3:49 PM

I'm not trying to defend the fact that Clemson's offense has looked "plenty clunky" (as you say) at times this year, which it has.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: What the numbers don't account for...

Oct 17, 2019, 3:54 PM [ in reply to What the numbers don't account for... ]

There's nothing wrong with that.

That's a whole lot of

Oct 17, 2019, 4:16 PM

D's to analyze!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

I’ll help.***

Oct 17, 2019, 5:02 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

D's what?

Oct 17, 2019, 5:04 PM [ in reply to That's a whole lot of ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

\D' estblished replacement

Oct 17, 2019, 7:18 PM

for Hunter. We do not have one clearly established. so opposing D's are not as harassed.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic