Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tom Luginbill says Clemson is superior to OSU at QB, OL,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 3,717

Tom Luginbill says Clemson is superior to OSU at QB, OL,

Dec 7, 2016, 11:01 AM

and DL.

OSU fans started freaking out.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What about WR?***

Dec 7, 2016, 11:05 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think that one goes without question.***

Dec 7, 2016, 11:25 AM

Re: Tom Luginbill says Clemson is superior to OSU at QB, OL,

Dec 7, 2016, 11:55 AM

Keep our foot on the gas and we win easy. Play up and down and we hold on to survive. This offense is unstoppable when we play fast ask Bama.

I agree, sad that we have gotten away from the really fast

Dec 7, 2016, 1:02 PM

pace for the most part this year. I HATE it when the QB fakes the snap and then looks over to the sidelines for the play, us or anyone else.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2016, 12:10 PM

Luginbill is right.

We are substantially better at QB, WR, OL, TE, and DL.

They're better at RB and LB, and that's probably it. Gallman and Mike Weber have almost identical stats for the year, but their best player is technically a RB, Curtis Samuel, who they sort of use as a Swiss Army Knife and play all over the field as a RB/WR and try to get favorable matchups in space for; Samuel has got more than a little CJ Spiller in him. I like our LB's but Raekwon McMillan - who we just missed out on - is a cut above, looks like a 1st-round NFL guy.

I'd call it a "push" at DB. They're probably faster and more athletic - though Tankersley and Jadar Johnson will both be drafted, and fairly high for us this coming April - we're more experienced.

I keep saying it: Ohio State does exactly what we do...we just do it better. JT Barrett is an experienced vet, but the rest of OSU is more than a little green around the edges and is probably a year away. Keep in mind they lost twelve guys in the first four rounds of the draft - which is an NFL record, by the way, and as such probably the single biggest talent hit for a college program in a single year - and while Urban has recruited and coached up admirably they still look, to me, like a very young if talented team that muddled their way through with some guess and by gosh and good fortune. Good, convincing wins are hard to find...their best win, by a bunch, is that Oklahoma game, but Oklahoma's defense is putrid too and OSU ran roughshod over them.

They muddled past everybody else good they faced, and nobody seems to much care because they were deemed "great" wins. They mounted a fourth-quarter comeback against Wisconsin but still were outgained on the game and needed a 4th-and-goal stand to survive. I'm dubious; Wisconsin this year looks like Wisconsin most every year; they just happened to beat an LSU team that fired their coach a game or so later, so somehow they're a Top-10 squad? Unconvinced. They turned around and lost to Penn State the next week, then squeaked by 6-6 Northwestern in unconvincing and ersatz fashion 24-20 the next week (again, which isn't held against them for whatever reason.) They did crush Nebraska but Nebraska is squishy-soft and folds against anyone who can dominate the LOS, as the Huskers 40-10 thumping against Iowa in their regular-season finale showed. They then squeaked by (and were again outgained by) a 3-9 Michigan State team 17-16...and won only because Spartie went for two in the closing seconds after tying the game up. (Again, no one commented.) THEN they somehow bumbled and stumbled into overtime - again scoring only 17 points in regulation, and again being outgained in regulation - before sort of Forest Gump'ing their way to victory courtesy of an extremely controversial spot that still has Jim Harbaugh gibbering incoherently; I hate to agree with Sunny Jim on anything just on general principles, but the replay does suggest he may have a point.

Ohio State, IMHO, was a great team last year, probably more talented than either us or Alabama, but they dropped one weird game to Michigan State and missed out on the playoffs. But to me they made the playoffs with a worse team that happened to get the bounces this year.

There is never any such thing as an easy game against Urban Meyer, but we are the better squad...and when you see how many games the Buckeyes struggled to throw or protect Barrett, and how many games they were outgained and outplayed in, you start looking at them more as a youngish 9-3-type squad that's probably in a bit of a rebuilding year than the 11-1 playoff contender people regard them as. They're good; they are not as good as people perceive.

Excellent post.. Summed up everything I've seen. Their

Dec 7, 2016, 12:47 PM

highly touted DBs haven't faced anyone of DW's or our WR's ability. It'll get answered on the field. +1...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

summed up very well....my only real concern is how we handle

Dec 7, 2016, 1:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Tom Luginbill says Clemson is superior to OSU at QB, OL, ]

Barrett. I did not think we did a very good job on VT's Evans and have traditionally struggled with QB's like Barrett, but will also add that they never seem to beat us....case in point Braxton Miller! It seems like either we never have a "spy" on their QB or for some reason never have someone fast enough (particularly a LB) to do so. On their side McMillan is both fast enough and big enough to cause us problems, so we are going to have to find a way to block him.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2016, 1:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Tom Luginbill says Clemson is superior to OSU at QB, OL, ]

You cannot argue that they are not that good because of their close Ws. We have had just as many close Ws. I would argue Mich St, Northwestern, and Nebraska would all destroy Troy.

I think their secondary is better***

Dec 7, 2016, 1:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Tom Luginbill says Clemson is superior to OSU at QB, OL, ]

great job Qman***

Dec 7, 2016, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Tom Luginbill says Clemson is superior to OSU at QB, OL, ]

Urban Meyer with a month to prepare is a Bear

Dec 7, 2016, 10:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Tom Luginbill says Clemson is superior to OSU at QB, OL, ]

I don't care what players he's got. But he just so happens to have all 4-5* studs everywhere.

He will find our weakness and hack away at it in every facet.

Best thing to me feel good wise is we have not yet come close to playing our best this year.

Could go either way, but for some reason I feel like we are ready to go nuts on someone this year. Like we've been waiting for this game for a year or something...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2016, 12:30 PM

I thought we are better every position except secondary, and that is close.

Dec 7, 2016, 12:35 PM

McMillan is better at LB in my opinion. We recruited him hard too.

Dec 7, 2016, 1:17 PM

I do agree but lets not act like Ohio St is going to be a walk in the park. They are as talented as any team in the nation including us. They have shown they can score. They have had some bad games this year but so have we. If we both bring our A game it will be close but I do not think anybody can stop our O and when our D is playing right and BV gets the calls right and everybody executes we are pretty hard to move the ball on.

Dec 7, 2016, 1:21 PM

Just think what this team would have looked liked had we gotten Cook, Lawson, and Raekwon McMillan and I am sure there are others but these are 3 we thought at one time was going to be a tiger.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2016, 1:24 PM

I doubt it would be any better than it is today.

Just like Oklahoma was the hottest team in College Football

Dec 7, 2016, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Tom Luginbill says Clemson is superior to OSU at QB, OL, ]

last year before the Orange Bowl and looked virtually unbeatable???

You mean like that?

Dec 7, 2016, 9:48 PM

Tom Luginbill is one of my favorite analysts, because he just calls it like he sees it. I trust his analyses of teams and match-ups. I have hardly watched ESPN outside of games this season, because of what I considered undo bias last season by many of the talking heads, but I am glad he is still doing his thing. The other analyst that I like and trust is Michael Felder of the Bleacher Report. He's been spot on with his analysis of teams.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

At least they have the kicking game.

Dec 7, 2016, 10:40 PM

They can ask Santa to bring them lots of field goals and really long punts.

Replies: 19
| visibility 3,717
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic