Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Todd Gurley
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

Todd Gurley

Aug 21, 2014, 12:32 PM

I would like honest opinions from Clemson fans here if possible. What kind of game do you expect Gurley to have against the Clemson D? Any supporting facts to that prediction? Just curious. I like hearing from the other side about their opinion and analysis. Thanks in advance.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I will freely admit that he is probably the most talented

Aug 21, 2014, 12:35 PM

RB in the country, and stopping him will be quite a task.

I think if anybody's going to do it though, hopefully it's our front 7.

If the secondary can lock down the passing game, that would certainly help.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Re: I will freely admit that he is probably the most talented

Aug 21, 2014, 12:52 PM

Definitely agree with this analysis. It depends on your secondary locking down the pass game, with a combination of your front 7 playing a very good football game(which they are more than capable of).

He's going to get his yards

Aug 21, 2014, 12:35 PM

Just need to avoid the big play and we'll be OK.

^^^This

Aug 21, 2014, 12:45 PM

He's going to go over 100, no doubt. Maybe even approach he 155 he had last year. We just have to eliminate the big gainers and make every yard he gains punishing.

Re: He's going to get his yards

Aug 21, 2014, 12:53 PM [ in reply to He's going to get his yards ]

Great points here. It will be hard to keep him from getting any big gains along the way, but if you consistently stop him for mediocre yardage it will provide what you need to get your O back on the field.

Re: Todd Gurley

Aug 21, 2014, 12:36 PM

Waiting to see weather forecast? Rain ? wind ? humidity? OL suspended between now and then? do leghumpers fall behind early and go pass, pass , pass ?

In short, I dont give a ####! Let's play and find out

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2014, 12:55 PM

Not really what was requested in the post. I do agree with the "let's play and find out" portion of your assessment. Also, not really sure why you would respond by using the term leghumpers, when I have been nothing but respectful to all tiger fans and players while posting on this board. You have a great set of coaches, and a very solid football program. Looking forward to next weekend.

I predict similar to last season's game. He'll get his and

Aug 21, 2014, 12:37 PM

have a big run. But he'll get banged up and have to get some locker room treatment.

Lucky for you guys that you have a good bit of RB depth.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: I predict similar to last season's game. He'll get his and

Aug 21, 2014, 12:56 PM

He is not prone to injury. He had lingering issues last season because he was not given the full allotment of time to heal. His freshman season was without this type of injury during the season and I personally expect im to return to this form.

I just think he is like other backs of his skillset...

Aug 21, 2014, 12:59 PM

TA McClendon, Maurcie Clarett, Marcus Lattimore... all world freshmen that were overused as underclassmen and beat up during their senior seasons.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: I just think he is like other backs of his skillset...

Aug 21, 2014, 1:01 PM

He really did not get enough carries last year to be "overused". He just had a nagging injury that he did not have time to heal from. As far as carries go, he never had as many as lattimore and the others last year.

Clarett and latti played their senior years?***

Aug 21, 2014, 1:02 PM [ in reply to I just think he is like other backs of his skillset... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Aug 21, 2014, 12:37 PM

Gurley is an ALL American. I expect him to show up. He may or may not break one, but I feel like with Georgia's depth at RB, he'll have to share. I hope we shut him down. My guess. 16 rushes 90 yards with 2 catches for 15 yards

Aug 21, 2014, 12:57 PM

Shared yardage will definitely lower his numbers and carries. If you hold him to 90, then you should have a very good showing against our dawgs.

75-95 yards. ***

Aug 21, 2014, 12:39 PM

nm

Aug 21, 2014, 12:40 PM

I think UGA has the best running backs in the country and think it will be hard to stop Todd. Not sure where Keith Marshall stands after his acl surgery. Seems he got the injury late last year.

Aug 21, 2014, 12:58 PM

Supposedly Marshall is full speed and has been for several weeks. Time will tell once your D-line lays a few hits on him.

He's a huge talent. His legs are like tree trunks and I like

Aug 21, 2014, 12:41 PM

his running style.
That said....it's less about Gurley and more about the UGA O-line.
That said...it's less about the UGA O-line and more about the front 7 of the Clemson D.
The UGA line simply wont move the Clemson D line enough to let Gurley have a super performance. Gurley will get some yards. It would not shock me if he were held under 100. I also think the Oline will get frustrated and pick up some costly penalties. Grady the Junkyard Dog might just injure someone....but let's hope it's not too serious.

Re: He's a huge talent. His legs are like tree trunks and I like

Aug 21, 2014, 1:00 PM

Very true. I think even a poor running back can gain yards with a great offensive line. Gurley is the type back that gains 2-3 when he was not supposed to be able to gain any on a given play. You have very good analysis and understanding, and I agree whole heartedly. Our O-line has to create some space in order for him to have a very successful day. I think it will probably be an average showing, but I hope that he dominates of course:p

Aug 21, 2014, 12:43 PM

Unless our D is much improved against the RUN, then Gurley will have a 150+ yard game against us. I expect him to score 2-3 times. I don't see us stopping Gurley very well unless we really key on shutting him down.

FWIW: Gurley is the ONLY weapon that I think UGA has to beat us. If Gurley can't get his big gains, then UGA will crash-and-burn. There will be weeping in the stands.

Aug 21, 2014, 1:02 PM

He is definitely not our only weapon. However, he is our most valuable one without a doubt. I think your D will do a good job this season and look forward to the game.

Gurshall

Aug 21, 2014, 12:53 PM

Gurley doesn't scare me as much as Marshall due to their running styles. Where Gurley does his best work he'll be running straight into the teeth of this defense. Marshall, if healthy, (any info on him??) scares the hell outta me. A good screen game is exactly what UGA needs to slow down our DL and get Hutson Mason going and Marshall is phenomenal in this aspect

Re: Gurshall

Aug 21, 2014, 1:05 PM

Marshall is healthy according to all reports from Georgia and other sources as well. I think Gurley will get his yards. He is definitely a down hill runner, but he can also find gaps and make cuts to confuse a defense. This was evident in film from last year. I think as long as your defense stays in their respective lanes then you should do well.

I think the idea will be "contain", not "stop"

I think he's simply too good to completely shut down. That having been said, we've done it before - for example we shut down Andre Williams last year, and he was one of the best backs we faced. But I think we can hold Gurley to moderate gains and frustrate his ability to make critical plays.

Re: I think the idea will be "contain", not "stop"

Aug 21, 2014, 1:06 PM

Containment is definitely the strategy to go for. No one would come into the game expecting to stop him. However, if you did it would be a game deciding factor for sure. Holding him to moderate gains would wear him down some and force us to play Marshall and the others more for sure.

Hoping to keep him around 100 yards and bottle up others

But I don't think you can ever really completely shut him down. If we can keep him from hitting a bunch of big plays, then we'll have done what we came to accomplish even if he gets to that 100 yard plateau.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hoping to keep him around 100 yards and bottle up others

Aug 21, 2014, 1:07 PM

Very true. I agree.

Who is he?

Aug 21, 2014, 12:59 PM

;)

Re: Who is he?

Aug 21, 2014, 1:08 PM

ha.. I am not sure. I have a sneaky suspicion your DC is familiar and coming up with a gameplan to contain him though.

Oh, that cat....

Aug 21, 2014, 1:14 PM

Yeah, he's pretty good.

I think they will give him the ball 16 times. He will be tackled 15 times. 4 of those tackles will be behind the LOS, 2 right at the LOS. He will finish one in the endzone, but hopefully for you guys your WR don't celebrate it.

Re: Oh, that cat....

Aug 21, 2014, 1:18 PM

Yeah forreal. We can't afford to lose anymore receivers like that. I feel bad for Mitchell. He has had injury problems since High School. He is a very talented athlete, but unless he is healthy soon it is really going to hurt his chances at a future in football.

Aug 21, 2014, 1:01 PM

Barring injuries I don't see anyone just shutting Gurley down I feel he is the best RB in the nation but if we hold him to 100 or less I think we have a chance! The key will be can our O move the ball and keep him on the sidelines long periods of time!

Aug 21, 2014, 1:09 PM

100 or less and I think we will have a very hard time beating Clemson.. I think your absolutely right.

He gets 100, plus/minus 10...

Aug 21, 2014, 1:06 PM

primarily because our DLine and LB's shouldn't give up another 75 yard run. take away that run, and he gets less than 80 yards for the game with most of those coming in chunks. Gurley is going to be motivated because 1)they lost to us last year, 2)we slow played him as a recruit because the staff wanted Marshall more, but uga gets both...
but our front seven is just as motivated, so he doesn't break the bank on us this year...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He gets 100, plus/minus 10...

Aug 21, 2014, 1:10 PM

Your point is true. Take away that one and he only gets 80, but the other 80 came on only 11 carries. I think the key to stopping him will be whether or not Mason presents a threat through the air.

Re: He gets 100, plus/minus 10...

Aug 21, 2014, 1:40 PM

absolutely. and to your point, he had several runs of 8+ yards including the 12 yard TD run. he only got the 12 carries because we banged him around pretty good too. so, we keep his average down, and he gets worn down. if he gets 80 yards on 20-25 carries, i can live with that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought he was hands-down the best RB in the country last

Aug 21, 2014, 1:16 PM

year and was the best player I saw in person until Winston played at DV.

I think he'll have around 100 yards. I don't think he'll have more than 1 TD.

Re: I thought he was hands-down the best RB in the country last

Aug 21, 2014, 1:20 PM

This thread proves that Clemson fans are very rational people. A lot of people discredit other fan bases, but I have seen nothing but legitimiate answers from everyone. Thanks for the response.

We treat respect with respect. If you come on here like

Aug 21, 2014, 1:24 PM

superdawg, acting like a ########, you're gonna get it back.

Aug 21, 2014, 1:25 PM [ in reply to Re: I thought he was hands-down the best RB in the country last ]

Crow, this thread just proves that you're more boring in here than on our board and have the ability to put Dawgs and Tigers asleep better than a handful of percocet....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz<

Aug 21, 2014, 1:56 PM

Who is crow?

Aug 21, 2014, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Re: I thought he was hands-down the best RB in the country last ]

This thread sparks people to think and give valid opinions. I personally think Gurley is a beast and will have a career showing, even if it means churning out tough yardage all night. However, I do not think you saying something like this adds any value whatsoever to the discussion. Why dont you post your opinion on how he will do and join the conversation?

We were one cafeteria meal from getting him....

Aug 21, 2014, 1:28 PM

Wish he was here

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We were one cafeteria meal from getting him....

Aug 21, 2014, 2:05 PM

We seriously lucked out getting him and Marshall. I was telling a few friends that Gurley looked like the type of back that could push Marshall and even take over the starting spot. I just didn't realize he would be as good as he is.

Aug 21, 2014, 1:47 PM

I believe he will get 20 carries and marshall will get 15 if the other two or three are going to play then that probably means about 1/2 to 2/3 of your snaps will be runs. With that being said we are going to sell out against the run like we did against USC and Ohio State. We will be susceptible to the pass but improved from last year. That being said, Mike Davis averaged 1.5 yards per carry against us. I don't believe Mason can run quite like Shaw.

Gurley could get about 80 with 1 maybe two touchdowns. I see Marshall busting a big run so he will probably get around 50. The other guys combined will probably land around 50. Adjusted for sacks, I estimate UGA's running game will produce about 150-175 yards.

This puts a lot of pressure on Mason to win the game. Now back to the Ohio State and SC games. We won one and lost the other, gave up some points but we were a tough punishing D nonetheless. Difference between those two games and the UGA game this year. You have a career backup and they had great, experienced quarterbacks.

All in all, Gurley will get his fair share but not sportscenter worthy. In for a long night if these running backs don't surpass my expectations.

Aug 21, 2014, 2:04 PM

4 yards per carry is a very stout goal to set for your D. If you manage this, then you will be looking at a very good night of football for Clemson. I don't think it will be an 80 yard game for Gurley though.. I say at least 100, but leave room for a large variance because of his playmaking ability once he gets in space.

He'll get his 120 and 1 or 2 TDs. Gotta hope that's all

Aug 21, 2014, 1:52 PM

he'll get in order for the Tigers to keep up. More than that and the Tigers will be in for a long long night is how I see it.

Re: He'll get his 120 and 1 or 2 TDs. Gotta hope that's all

Aug 21, 2014, 1:58 PM

Mike Davis is a good back and you did very well against him last year. You definitely have a stout defense, it just depends on which team shows up and shows out.

Aug 21, 2014, 1:56 PM

Gurley will go over 100 yards, and break a 30+ yarder most likely. However, I don't think his performance makes or breaks the game.

If we can lock down the passing game, maybe pick off Mason 1-2 times, I think that'll be enough to get the W.

I expect that our O will move the ball decently well, score around 25-30.

Aug 21, 2014, 2:00 PM

His performance has made a lot of games, even some during limited action. However, if you lock down the passing game and are able to key in on the run, then we could be in for a long night against you.

20 carries, 95 yards, 1 TD***

Aug 21, 2014, 2:01 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 20 carries, 95 yards, 1 TD***

Aug 21, 2014, 2:03 PM

If you hold him to 4.75 yards per carry like you are saying here, then Clemson will have a great night.

Great game

Aug 21, 2014, 2:09 PM

or bad game.

Hope it's the latter.

Re: Great game

Aug 21, 2014, 2:13 PM

Hope it's the former. hehe

Replies: 54
| visibility 1