Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Time to make a change...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Time to make a change...

Mar 15, 2013, 12:29 AM

Yes, Brad is a great defensive coach, but obviously that alone isn't going to hang any banners in Littlejohn. His lack of offensive knowledge shines through Milton Jennings, whose lack of production is magnified by a confused and inactive offense. I can't understand how we can be so aggressive and disciplined on defense, and then on the other side of the court we can't make a FG, or a FT, and rarely pull down an offensive rebound. Except for KJ Mcdaniels, and maybe Jordan Roper, It looks like another dismal season to come. Point blank, we need a new head coach, someone that knows how to score, and has the ability to bring in talented kids. Keep Brad as an assistant on defense, don't think he's gonna be getting any offers anytime soon, it's time to make a change.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Won't be any coach hanging banners in LJ soon.***

Mar 15, 2013, 12:50 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Time to make a change...

Mar 15, 2013, 5:10 AM

Point blank,you do not know what you are talking about.
First off,you need to understannd the condition of the program when Oliver bolted unexpectly.I know of two defections,Hill and Johnson that hurt this progam.
Then injuries this season cut our team by two players,players(Blossingame and Coleman)that were expected to contribute offensively.
Next is the lack of a true inside game.Booker,who actually got better as the season went on is a power foward at best( more of a small foward) but was asked to post the middle.Many games he was undermaned and undersized but he battled.Hard to pull down a rebound when the other team has players equally as tall,and in most cases more depth.
Guard play was another achilles tendon.Hall is adquate bring the ball up court,but at times made terrible decisions in distributing the ball.Our team also dribbled too much instead of developing a crisp passing motion.We seldonm had open looks at the basket
Yes,our shooting is horrendous.Hopefully this new kid (Rooks) will help and if Bloss and Coleman can come back strong,we might become more competitive.
Now as far as Jennings goes.I am going to defend him in one aspect.Coming out of high chool Milt was touted as having a silky smooth 15-18 foot(mid range jump shot) but he was recruited by a coach ( Purnell) who wanted him to run up and down the court.Milt,imo, was the only true basketball player( other than Trevor)on those teams.The other players were athletes who could run up and down the court,could shoot occassionally,missed more lay ups and free throws than they made( or so it appeared)but they were not NBA material,which you should know that is what most of these chipper athletes want,and why they are recruited by the Dukes,the Tarheels,Louisville,Notre Dame etc.etc.
Futhermore,most people knows a coach needs time to devlope his program.That is usually five years.Brad is completing his third.So next year should be the year this team moves up.If not then you might consider a change.
So fire him if you want,but you had better have a short list of coaches "who would love" to coach Clemson,who would leave their program at the end of the season,and who can recruit as well.
Give me two names.
Also keeping Brad as an assistant is not only a stupid idea,but a bad one as well. Why would you keep him? Why would he stay? Why would a new coach want an old coach as an assistant?
Brad knows x's and o's Maybe he should look to hiring an assistant to help with recruiting.
I know of two assitant coaches who coach at the schools they played for.Maybe you have heard the names;Wojo( don't know the complete spelling) at Duke and Hubert Davis(UNC).

Mar 15, 2013, 6:03 AM

Leftie, you hit the nail on the head so I will say "ditto" to your post. Firing a coach after 3 years is suicide for a college program but that is what some idiot alleged fans post about. If we are going to replace something, how about some of those alleged fans!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

X and O?

Mar 15, 2013, 6:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Time to make a change... ]

Again I will ask, tell me one game where his X and O excellence has enabled us to win a game?

Re: X and O?

Mar 15, 2013, 6:25 AM

This is not about x's and o's.
It's about recruiting.If Brad has a problem ,a weakness,it is in recruting ,especially shooters,and especially shooters who "want" to come to Clemson.As a school Clemson has a lot to offer.As a football school they are showing signs of being rather good.But Clemson is not a basketball school and even a Coach K. or a Roy Williams would have a hard time recruiting players who can win.They can teach them x's and o's all day long,but I don't know if you can teach some one to shoot.
Someone asked in a post yesterday ( I think) how Roy would do with this team. I would say not much better.
I would also ask you if yuo think a Coach K,or Williams,or a Calapari,or a Tubby Smith could successful recruit the type of players they can get to come to Clemson.
Just my opinion,but I doubt it.Brad is a good coach.Maybe he just needs a to retake Recruiting 101 .

Mar 15, 2013, 6:29 AM

We would be a lot worse with Roy coaching this team. You hit the nail on the head. I love brownell but he has to get better at recruiting... we need to give him the fire power to help him also..The administration needs to get seriously commited to winning...we need to give him facilities and money to get really good assistants also. I think scoring will be better next yr with coleman and blossomgame though

Mar 15, 2013, 6:25 AM [ in reply to X and O? ]

LOL....his coaching kept us in games because of the defense...we just were short guys who could score...we will get that back next year. Brownell has said that his best teams were all gaurd heavy so we shall see

Re: X and O? LOL?

Mar 15, 2013, 6:33 AM

I LOL! Once again, no one can give me even one game. L O L !

Mar 15, 2013, 6:44 AM

Give me a game where his coaching lost i

Mar 15, 2013, 6:50 AM

Many! This team has come out flat and unprepared many times this season.

Mar 15, 2013, 6:57 AM

LOL ok buddy

Mar 15, 2013, 6:58 AM

I really LOL about all the BB lovers.

Mar 15, 2013, 7:01 AM

Notice how Furious Frank has not responded to any of this?

Mar 15, 2013, 7:07 AM

Thats what the coots do...come over and stir the pot....they are a bunch of losers

Leftie???

Mar 15, 2013, 7:37 AM [ in reply to Re: X and O? LOL? ]

I noticed YOU never responded to my post to you about X & O.

Mar 16, 2013, 3:16 AM [ in reply to Re: X and O? LOL? ]

Trust me leftie, none of your weak arguments have me convinced one bit, but I work for a living and can't play on message boards all day. You can throw all the stats at me you want, cry about injuries, and tell me how many close games we've had, I still don't want to see BB on the sidelines next year (btw keeping him as a defensive assistant was obviously a joke, sorry you didn't pick up on that.) As a longtime season ticket holder(football) and a big supported of the basketball program, attending at least 10 games each year, I'm not some fair weather fan jumping ship after a bad year. But after three years, what do we have to look forward too, the players OP recruited have gotten worse, and who is coming in to replace them? I understand the setbacks of hiring a new coach, but if we can hire someone with an ability to build a program fans as a whole will be patient as long as there is something to look forward to. Our football program has given us the ability through national attention and income to hire a national championship caliber basketball coach, and BB is not and will not be that any time soon.

Miami game at home was a perfect game plan.

Mar 15, 2013, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Re: X and O? LOL? ]

We just left a guy open at the end.

Every one of them and the ones where we were in position to

Mar 15, 2013, 5:41 PM [ in reply to X and O? ]

win with a free throw or two, or maybe just another made shot or two. With our lack of depth and experience, friggen John Wooden wouldn't have done any better.

I bet you wanted to fire Swinney after USF and WVU too, huh? I bet you said he couldn't coach, didn't you?

You comments only convinced me more that BB should be...

Mar 15, 2013, 4:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Time to make a change... ]

...gone.

BB clearly had no idea how to "re-develop" Jennings and could not teach his players how to hit layups and free throws, i.e even marginally eek out some talent from his athletes.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Just shut up you ignorant bass turd.***

Mar 15, 2013, 5:38 PM

Re: You comments only convinced me more that BB should be...

Mar 15, 2013, 5:48 PM [ in reply to You comments only convinced me more that BB should be... ]

poor sad little UNC fan.

null

Exactly

Mar 15, 2013, 6:53 PM [ in reply to You comments only convinced me more that BB should be... ]

Every problem he named is something a good coach would correct.

Then we have never had a good coach, because I'v watched us

Mar 15, 2013, 7:10 PM

blow lay-ups and miss FTs for 35 years...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 15, 2013, 5:30 AM

you coots are ready to get rid of frank martin already?

Mar 15, 2013, 7:38 AM

Coots love him. They love "jerk" coaches.

Mar 15, 2013, 7:53 AM

As an old timer, I have seen a lot of Clemson b-ball, some good and a lot of bad. But it hasn't been much worse than this. We are not competitive now in a very weak ACC. You guys that think one or two more years of this coach is going to turn it around are dreaming. Even the biggest of Brownell fans think he has a problem with recruiting and more of this is not going to make that better. I'm not saying fire him because it can always be worse but unless you are happy with what we've got, it's time to pull the plug. It's less painful getting teeth pulled without Novacaine than watching this team play. I, for one, love Clemson basketball, and want to see better, whatever has to be done.

Mar 15, 2013, 7:54 AM

Any of you goobers that want to fire coach after 2 recruiting classes are let me guess the same goobers that wanted dabo fired after year 2. How is that working out for you idiots.

have you ever played basketball??? if so then you would

Mar 15, 2013, 8:45 AM

understand how someone can be good defensively and not as good offensively...

Re: have you ever played basketball??? if so then you would

Mar 15, 2013, 4:01 PM

All players have their strengths and weaknesses, doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that one out. Good coaches have the ability to COACH their players, on both sides of the ball, that's what it takes to win.

Furious and Clueless ^^^^^ !! *****

Mar 15, 2013, 4:05 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 15, 2013, 5:03 PM

you are so stupid! BB doesn't shoot the ball; many, many times they have open shots, that just don't drop. You evidently have no basis to complain.

Re: Every one of them and the ones where we were in position to

Mar 15, 2013, 6:39 PM

Haha, do you watch football? Swinney came straight in winning, built his own staff, won a conference title, and btw has had a top 15 recruiting class the last four years. Not a valid comparison whatsoever.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic