Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Time to hold Dabo accountable for "Best Decade" comment
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Time to hold Dabo accountable for "Best Decade" comment

Dec 9, 2019, 11:50 AM

Time to evaluate Dabo on his (reckless) “Best Decade Ever” comment for Clemson football

With the 2010s decade coming to an end, it’s time to hold Dabo accountable for a bold, “reckless” prediction. Many, including myself, considered it crazy – even foolish – at the time it was said. But Dabo said something after the 2010 season ended that can now be evaluated.
And evaluate it we must!

“But then-Clemson AD Terry Don Phillips was there to reinforce his belief in Swinney, not fire him. And Swinney soon after publicly declared that the Tigers would have their winningest decade ever by time 2020 arrived.”

I vividly remember sitting in Charlotte watching Clemson’s futile comeback attempt against South Florida in the CarQuest Bowl to end a 6-7 season. It was not pretty. Clemson showed some life in trying to comeback – but for much of the season, Clemson’s offense had not shown a clear identity. The defense had been a bit inconsistent through the year, which might have been partly due to the offense’s troubles. Many people were questioning if Dabo was the right guy. The future of Clemson football under Dabo was dubious at best.

Dabo made a statement soon afterward. Withing days, Dabo said that at the end of the current decade (the 2010s decade) that Clemson fans would look back and say it was Clemson football’s best decade. I admit I gave him no chance of pulling it off. Best ever?

I was a student at Clemson in the 1980s. I remember Danny Ford’s great defenses. I remember watching Clemson compete with the best college football had to offer. I remember Clemson wining multiple ACC titles. Beating powerhouse programs and, of course, winning the 1981 national title.
Clemson was 91-22-4 in the 1980s (76.7%). I was certain Dabo had made a prediction for Clemson that he would not (perhaps could not) deliver.

I could not have been more wrong!

As the 2010 decade comes to a close, Dabo has, without question, led Clemson to its greatest decade ever.
Two national championships.
Seven MAJOR bowl appearances including three Orange Bowls, two Fiesta Bowls, one Sugar Bowl, one Cotton Bowl.
2010s decade record: 116-22-0 (with one 2019 game remaining).

Time to evaluate Dabo’s bold, reckless, statement: A+ (Greatly Exceed Expectations!) Win or lose on December 28, Dabo's reckless comment was spot-on.

Best Decade Ever!

Words cannot express the gratitude Clemson Nation feels for Dabo and his staff (DC Venables, OC Elliot, OC Scott, RC Streeter, and all others). Or for the great young men who have played for Clemson this decade.
Go Dabo! Go Clemson!

https://apnews.com/bd7ad29f8c1744b39636312c277d5120

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson: Academic Excellence! Athletic Excellence!

Re: Time to hold Dabo accountable for "Best Decade" comment

Dec 9, 2019, 12:00 PM

great post, I suppose the decade has been okay :)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2019, 12:03 PM

I hope he says it again this year :D

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen! I had that same thought, Bill

Dec 9, 2019, 2:11 PM

Right after winning the 2016 season National Championship, we all remember Dabo saying that "the best is yet to come."

Some time after that, he said that we had not even "begun to scratch the surface of his vision for Clemson" football. Here's hoping that comment is STILL the case!!

Re: Amen! I had that same thought, Bill

Dec 10, 2019, 7:23 AM

I'm still waiting for him to say "the best is yet to come" this year.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Dec 10, 2019, 7:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Time to hold Dabo accountable for "Best Decade" comment ]

Yep, if he can give us another decade of great FB, that will about cover the rest of my life, and that would be an awesome gift for a man on his out!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2019, 12:04 PM

THE BEST IS "YET" TO COME!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great Post

Dec 9, 2019, 12:44 PM

Awesome Post!

This is all great, and true, except the decade isn't over

Dec 9, 2019, 12:48 PM

The decade runs 2011-2020. We have one more year in this decade.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is all great, and true, except the decade isn't over

Dec 10, 2019, 4:34 AM

2020 begins with a '2'! Dabo said the '1's'! ;)

Re: This is all great, and true, except the decade isn't over

Dec 10, 2019, 6:50 PM

The "decade" (10 years) begins with a "1" (2011) and ends with a "0" (2020). Think of counting from 1 to 10. We have the Romans to thank for this... they did not have "zero" as a counting number, so all of their counting started with "1."

Dec 9, 2019, 12:53 PM

Terrific post!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

many of us looked at the 2011 class

Dec 9, 2019, 12:58 PM

And knew that help was on the way. We had Sammy and bellamy and Steward Tay Bryant and Peake Jarrett Goodson Dodd Humpries Battle and others coming

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2019, 12:59 PM

Harrumph!!! Harrumph!!!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Dec 9, 2019, 2:33 PM

I also remember in 2011 or 2012 he said something along the lines "you better beat us now while you can because in a few years its going to be very very hard". I wish i could find the actual quote but man was he right. Its crazy how accurate he was about this programs future.

Dec 9, 2019, 3:59 PM

Wait a minute - I thought that the "best is yet to come"!

:)

Congratulations to Dabo and his team for an amazing decade; AND here is to the new decade starting with a NC for the Tigers!

Dec 10, 2019, 4:39 AM

I am surprised anyone ever doubted it happening. I didnt.

Dec 10, 2019, 7:27 AM

Carl I didn't have a clue that it would be as good as it has been, but I was for the hiring of Dabo Swinney. For me, I felt that Dabo was right for Clemson at that time....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2019, 7:18 AM

As a very young boy in 1962, I become a Clemson fan on November 24, 1962. It was the first FB game that I had ever seen, and it was 3 days before my 10th birthday on November 27, 1962. On November 27, 1952 I was born on Thanksgiving day, and my mother would always say I was her turkey when I was born, but I became a Clemson Tiger by the time I was 10 years old, and 57 years later I'm still a Clemson Tiger!!! In those 57 years as a Clemson Tiger fan I have lived through and seen some good years, and I have lived through and seen a few really bad years. The Danny Fords years had been some of the best years as a Clemson Tiger, but there hasn't ever been any better years than the Dabo Swinney years of my 57 years as a Clemson Tiger. The Dabo Swinney years have been the greatest years of my 57 years as a loyal Clemson Tiger fan. As a young SC boy who knew nothing about Clemson or Clemson FB until I was almost 10 years old, I made the right choice when I chose Clemson as my team to be be a fan of college sports!!! I Love Clemson and our Clemson Tigers!!!

Dec 10, 2019, 7:32 AM

You were wise even as a child. Go Tigers!!

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Dec 10, 2019, 2:02 PM

That day was my very first ever of seeing a FB game being played. It was only two teams, Clemson and the coots, Gamecocks I was told way back then, and some selected names that a almost 10 year old best not repeat with anyone but my best friend George. It was his mom and dad that took us to see my first FB game. Clemson won that day, and I have been a Clemson fan from that day to now, 3 days before my 10th B-day. That present has lasted 57 years this past November 24th. Mr and Mrs Tindal are probably gone now, but it was the best B-Day gift ever that has become a treasure for me!!!

I'm with you, All Orange...

Dec 10, 2019, 7:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Time to hold Dabo accountable for "Best Decade" comment ]

I attended my first Clemson football game in 1956 at the age of 7. I met Frank Howard that day in Fike Fieldhouse. I have been hooked ever since. I've been following Clemson football for 63 years. In fact, I have attended at least one clemson football game every year since 1956. It struck me the other day when Dabo referred to the 2019 Tigers as "Team 124" that I have seen more than half of every Clemson team since day one take the field. I thank God for giving me this opportunity. And even more, I thank Him for sending Dabo to lead the Tigers. I am honored, Almighty Father, and I praise your name for it.

Go Tigers!

I was there for the Clemson/USF game and tailgated beside

Dec 10, 2019, 7:52 AM

a USF group. They were extremely nice and we enjoyed the banter between the two. After the game, they didn't say much out of the way about Clemson's loss. I even joking said, you all can rub it in if you want, but be kind. They laughed and we had a couple of hours together before they had to leave. They were impressed how Clemson continued to fight and almost made a great comeback. I remember watching Boyd, Nuk and Ellington and told my then wife that Clemson had a pretty good young players. Lord and behold, we didn't see what was about to happen.

I have wondered from time-to-time, if those USF fans remember us that day and know we are smiling pretty big.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2019, 4:05 PM

Great article. I am amazed when I think of Dabo's vision and faith and TDP's insight. A lot of people have been touched positively because of those guys, and a lot more people will be.

Dec 10, 2019, 4:05 PM

Great article. I am amazed when I think of Dabo's vision and faith and TDP's insight. A lot of people have been touched positively because of those guys, and a lot more people will be.

Awesome post but for one fact that was wrong...

Dec 11, 2019, 8:09 AM

Let’s correct a small error in a great post..... correction

As the 2010 decade comes to a close, Dabo has, without question, led Clemson to its greatest decade ever.
Seven MAJOR bowl appearances including three Orange Bowls, two Fiesta Bowls, one Sugar Bowl, one Cotton Bowl.
2010s decade record: 116-22-0 with Two wins remaining. ( 118-22-0 Three National Championships)

Time to evaluate Dabo’s bold, reckless, statement: A+ (Greatly Exceed Expectations!) Win two wins to go, Dabo's reckless comment was spot-on.

Best Decade Ever!

Words cannot express the gratitude Clemson Nation feels for Dabo and his staff (DC Venables, OC Elliot, OC Scott, RC Streeter, and all others). Or for the great young men who have played for Clemson this decade.
Go Dabo! Go Clemson!

CBProf said:

Time to evaluate Dabo on his (reckless) “Best Decade Ever” comment for Clemson football

With the 2010s decade coming to an end, it’s time to hold Dabo accountable for a bold, “reckless” prediction. Many, including myself, considered it crazy – even foolish – at the time it was said. But Dabo said something after the 2010 season ended that can now be evaluated.
And evaluate it we must!

“But then-Clemson AD Terry Don Phillips was there to reinforce his belief in Swinney, not fire him. And Swinney soon after publicly declared that the Tigers would have their winningest decade ever by time 2020 arrived.”

I vividly remember sitting in Charlotte watching Clemson’s futile comeback attempt against South Florida in the CarQuest Bowl to end a 6-7 season. It was not pretty. Clemson showed some life in trying to comeback – but for much of the season, Clemson’s offense had not shown a clear identity. The defense had been a bit inconsistent through the year, which might have been partly due to the offense’s troubles. Many people were questioning if Dabo was the right guy. The future of Clemson football under Dabo was dubious at best.

Dabo made a statement soon afterward. Withing days, Dabo said that at the end of the current decade (the 2010s decade) that Clemson fans would look back and say it was Clemson football’s best decade. I admit I gave him no chance of pulling it off. Best ever?

I was a student at Clemson in the 1980s. I remember Danny Ford’s great defenses. I remember watching Clemson compete with the best college football had to offer. I remember Clemson wining multiple ACC titles. Beating powerhouse programs and, of course, winning the 1981 national title.
Clemson was 91-22-4 in the 1980s (76.7%). I was certain Dabo had made a prediction for Clemson that he would not (perhaps could not) deliver.

I could not have been more wrong!

2010s decade record: 116-22-0 (with one 2019 game remaining).

Time to evaluate Dabo’s bold, reckless, statement: A+ (Greatly Exceed Expectations!) Win or lose on December 28, Dabo's reckless comment was spot-on.

Best Decade Ever!

Go Dabo! Go Clemson!

https://apnews.com/bd7ad29f8c1744b39636312c277d5120

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Re: Awesome post but for one fact that was wrong...

Dec 11, 2019, 8:38 AM

Just depends on perspective. Does the January 13th, 2020 championship start the 20's with a bang, or end the 2019 season and the 10's as an encore? Either way it is a beautiful thing.

Love it!

Dec 11, 2019, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Awesome post but for one fact that was wrong... ]

Thanks, HS!

Here's hoping your corrections prove to be accurate!

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic