Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Time for a reality check
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Time for a reality check

Sep 18, 2018, 4:39 PM

I have grown tired of people saying that we struggle with Georgia tech... That's the past, the last 3 years GT has put up 230, 124 and then 230 TOTAL YARDS. They have had 10, 11, and 12 first downs in the past 3 years against us. We have possessed the ball longer each of the last 3 years despite our fast hurry up style offense vs their run heavy slow offense. The scores haven't been close in any of these games. GT doesn't "give us trouble" since we hired BV outside of his first year which every coach struggles with. Last time we lost to GT was 2014 when our leading passer was DW4 who threw for 21 total yards and Stoudt came in to throw 3 interceptions 2 of which were pick 6s so our defense only gave up 2 scores realistically even.. I don't worry about GT because their style of play is out dated, we dominate the run and they'll try to play our strengths which they will not win. Tigers win this week easily and the claim that "GT always has Clemson's number" will be put to rest.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, the option offense is gimmicky.

Sep 18, 2018, 4:43 PM

It worked okay up until the 90s, at which time players became faster and stronger and defensive coordinators became smarter. Now, option offenses only work consistently against lesser opponents.

Our defense is too athletic, too smart, and too disciplined to be dominated by an option offense. I'm sure GT will have a few big plays against us, but I'm not worried about them scoring more than 15-20 points on us.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I agree, the option offense is gimmicky.

Sep 18, 2018, 4:50 PM

They'll be fortunate to get that many points. I'm thinking 31-10, Tigers.

Sep 18, 2018, 5:02 PM [ in reply to I agree, the option offense is gimmicky. ]

I was with you until you said too disciplined. Hopefully BV will get that worked out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have been very disciplined against GT under Venables.

Sep 18, 2018, 7:50 PM

Although I agree that the A&M game calls our defensive discipline into question somewhat.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Sep 18, 2018, 9:18 PM [ in reply to I agree, the option offense is gimmicky. ]

The option works. The problem is that it is considered a "system" offense that does NOT showcase players for the NFL. You will not attract big talent to play in that system. Its a catch 22. Given the talent it works, but you can't get the talent.

I could understand a top QB not wanting to play in an option

Sep 18, 2018, 9:29 PM

offense. Same for really talented wide receivers. But I would think that talented RBs would love to do so, and linemen wouldn't be opposed either.

In the 1980s, when option offenses were big in college but not in the NFL, teams had no trouble recruiting players for it. Still, it had significant limitations and you didn't see nearly the offensive efficiency, yardage, or point totals you see today with more advanced offensive systems.

In our case, we ran the option mostly to control the football, run the clock, and minimize mistakes with the hope that our strong defenses could win the game for us. It worked well in 1981, but virtually every other season it typically resulted in 1-2 losses. Considering our all world defensive talent many of those years, and even the great offensive line, running backs, and fullbacks we had then, I would argue that we should've had at least one season in the late 80s where we finished better than 10-2. Don't get me wrong, those were very good seasons, but I can't help but wonder if we would've seen more success with a different offensive philosophy.

I think the problem now for recruiting to that system is that it is less common. Most college programs, at least on the FBS level, don't use it anymore. Heck, a lot of high schools don't use it anymore. Finding players who ran it in high school and want to run it in college are harder to find. I suspect that is a significant issue in terms of recruiting, perhaps more than the perception that it isn't good preparation for the NFL - because it hasn't been used in the NFL in a very very long time. Heck, the Bears in the 1980s tried it with Steve Fuller and it was a flop, and even then it was considered outdated in the NFL.

Re nobody runs option in the NFL

Sep 19, 2018, 1:05 AM

During the strike season in the NFL, when they played 3 games with scabs--was that '88??--Bill Walsh ran some option against Bill Parcels on MNF and BP was cracking up over it.

The strike had been settled and this was the last game ever between scabs. Walsh put that poor scab QB at risk in ways he never would have with his normal HoF QBs.

Sep 18, 2018, 9:38 PM [ in reply to I agree, the option offense is gimmicky. ]

It's hardly a gimmick . . but you need the right personnel. And that
means across the board. In todays time . I bet that is very difficult to find . .kids that want to play this way.

Over the last 5 wins vs GT

Sep 18, 2018, 4:52 PM

We've won by an average of 19 points.

Message was edited by: TigerCC®

Re: Over the last 5 wins vs GT

Sep 18, 2018, 4:55 PM

Over the last 5 wins we've won by 92 actually...

Keyword: AVERAGE

Sep 18, 2018, 6:36 PM

Nm

Re: Keyword: AVERAGE

Sep 18, 2018, 6:54 PM

Key phrase "this message was edited" so my response was valid at the time.

If we hold onto the ball, we win easily. Simple as that.

Sep 18, 2018, 5:16 PM

If we turn it over, then things might get iffy.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If we hold onto the ball, we win easily. Simple as that.

Sep 18, 2018, 6:32 PM

They will still have to move the ball, something they're unable to do against us anymore. Like another poster said their offense is gimmicky, you know what they're going to do and you can stop it due to that the option only works if you're the more athletic team which they won't be on Saturday.

we are going to struggle THIS year***

Sep 18, 2018, 6:59 PM

CPJ ain't no dummy and Ga. Tech has athletes.

Sep 18, 2018, 7:04 PM

Streaks in this game don't matter. Never, ever, let your guard down against Ga Tech. That's exactly when you get stung in the ###.

Message was edited by: wildblulou®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Time for a reality check

Sep 18, 2018, 7:12 PM

While I agree with practically everything you've said...there is one little catch. In the last 14 years worth of meetings (half being in Clemson, half being in Atlanta), Clemson has only won in Atlanta 1 time. For some reason, we've had issues through the past in Atlanta. Though I do agree, since getting Venables, he's fairly well had their number...but it still is in Atlanta, and no QB's on our roster have won there, yet. Hope that changes in a few days.

I wont worry about you not worrying***

Sep 18, 2018, 7:54 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2018, 8:23 PM

We will dominate the first half be leading 24-3 at half come out in the 3rd and look terrible.
GT will get it to 24-10 and then we get a early score in the 4th .
After that it will be kill the clock time
Tigers Win 31-17

Sep 18, 2018, 8:34 PM

Some people get stuck in mental ruts .
Like haven't you met that guy in 2018 wearing the cut off Jean shorts , a tank top and sporting a mullet ...listening to Molly Hatchet ?
You want to tell them it's all different now , but they're having so much fun .
Best to let them be surprised all over again in Atlanta ... maybe the amnesia wears off in 2019 .

DB23

Sep 18, 2018, 9:15 PM

We struggled with GT pre Venables.

Sep 18, 2018, 9:15 PM

We struggled with GT pre Venables.

Sep 18, 2018, 10:04 PM

I know Coach V has owned GT The last 3 years, but those 3 wins were all dominated by the D Line (which I believe will happen again Sat.) plus some extraordinary play from Dorian O’Daniel. The loss of DOD and our suspect play at safety could lead to some big play action pass plays that GT will probably attempt 6-8 times. Through the first 3 games of the season, we’ve seen our safeties bite on the PA pass, and I could see that biting us in the #### a few times Saturday. But BV has seen these issues as well, and I’m very confident he’ll have our boys ready. 34-10 Tigers!!!

Sep 19, 2018, 6:54 AM

This is my first post so I would like to say hello and let everyone know that I have followed Clemson football for a number of years. I live in NE Georgia and yep, its right in the middle of mutt country. I have also followed Georgia Tech football for a long time and do pull for them, especially when they play Georgie. This being said, I think Clemson will win by a good margin Saturday. Paul Johnson's offense is difficult to defend when he has the players that can run it. I remember when he first came to Tech. He taught the TO to a group of players that Chan Gaily had recruited. These were talented players and PJ had almost instant success on the flats. He has had a few good teams since those first few years but as some of you have said, not many guys want to play in his offense. Tech's defense is not very good this year. As a matter of fact, it has not been good for a number of years. Pulling for the Tigers Saturday and if they play mistake-free football, I don't think there will be much of a struggle winning this one.

Sep 19, 2018, 7:35 AM

The thing to remember is that we are the game that everyone else is up for. We can't let Tech be this year's Syracuse or Pitt.

Sep 19, 2018, 8:02 AM

The things that always worries me most about playing GT is injuries on our D due to all
of the chop blocks. Every year I wish we had a by-week after the GT game to give our D a chance to heal.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic