Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tigers "Self-Implode" Against Terps, 20-17
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Sep 27, 2008, 7:22 PM

Clemson left the field after the first half to the roar of a Death Valley crowd that appreciated a hard-hitting, if not somewhat error-prone, team that took a 17-6 lead into halftime. A similar effort in the second half should have been enough to put away Maryland. Instead, another Maryland team appeared. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

way to insult the admin***

Sep 27, 2008, 7:30 PM

'we' didn't coach so sharp either, stupid!***

Sep 27, 2008, 7:30 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: Tigers "Self-Implode" Against Terps, 20-17

Sep 27, 2008, 8:15 PM

1st half looked pretty good to me. We had a couple of errors, but survived them. O-line was working well together opening holes for JD, and CJ. What went wrong was the coaching. Not making adjustments. Blame this one on TB and Spence all the way. A shame that we may have to pay TB $4 million to leave, but it will be worth it in the long run.

OUT-COACHED!

Sep 27, 2008, 8:19 PM

Uh, no, it was not a matter of getting out-played.

It was a matter of being out-coached!

The Maryland coaching staff made adjustments, while the Clemson coaching staff crossed its collective finger hoping we'd win!

RIDICULOUS!

Sep 27, 2008, 9:08 PM

WhynotWilly?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 27, 2008, 9:26 PM

We come out with a gameplan, be it a great plan or terrible one....we refuse to ever make adjustments either way. Kind of like playing poker, turning your cards up, and going all in on an every hand. I just don't know what to say.

Oh, and the ACC's best team, got beat by Navy!

Sep 27, 2008, 11:11 PM

After another bad loss,how long will it take for some fans to admit that we have to make a change in coaching?We were the preseason favorites to win the ACC with all the talent that we had coming back.Tommy Bowden could have all the talent in the world and find a way to lose.He is a bad coach and should be fired.After ten years,we have had enough of excuses for losing games like this.Get rid of this jerk.

Sep 28, 2008, 6:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Tigers "Self-Implode" Against Terps, 20-17 ]

exactly. it's just bad coaching....we can never make adjustments.

One coach talks adjustment, the other blames players? Ouch***

Sep 27, 2008, 9:38 PM

TNet Staff: We're 3-2 now, not 2-2***

Sep 27, 2008, 10:10 PM

only one 1-AA can be counted per season***

Sep 27, 2008, 10:24 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 28, 2008, 12:06 AM

Can we start the petition to fire Bowden and Spence already? The 2 best talents Clemson football has seen in a LONG time and our coached do not know how to use them. Everyone bring your dollars to the next game and start throwing them on the field so we can start paying off the $4 million needed to get rid of Tommy. I can't wati to hear more of his excuses tomorrow on his show. Ten years of excuses is 10 years too long. BYE BYE BOWDEN!

I'm leaning towards not getting season tix next year.***

Sep 28, 2008, 1:25 AM

Re: I'm leaning towards not getting season tix next year.***

Sep 28, 2008, 7:53 AM

Another option is to flood Dr. Barker with emails of our disgust over Tommy Bowden.Granted,all Barker cares about is the academic side of the equation,but he does care about money.Quit giving to the academic fund and watch how fast we get his attention.This tatic worked two years ago when we had the AARC mess.I have the email adrress for those that want it.

I'd like that email info***

Sep 28, 2008, 11:53 PM

I say we give Tommy his buyout in $2 bills.***

Sep 28, 2008, 1:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Tigers "Self-Implode" Against Terps, 20-17 ]

Re: I say we give Tommy his buyout in $2 bills.***

Sep 28, 2008, 6:24 AM

I say we get a judge who will sentence Bowden to do community service for impersonating a football coach!! no money--- he should have to give the school money --- this person is living off of his dad's reputation!!

tommy = wide receiver coach, dabo = head coach

Sep 28, 2008, 8:07 AM

lets give dabo an extended interview as head coach for the remainder... just to see what happens. hah!

Sep 28, 2008, 8:07 AM

Where are the TB/Spence supporters? Their silence is deafening. Perhaps there are none?

Sep 28, 2008, 10:40 AM

When are the rest of you TB/Spence supporters going to wake up? That was coaching period!

We are the worst second half team in football. When was the last time we won a second half that was not a cupcake like SCstate or Citadel? We have the worst coach in the ACC now that Duke has a real Coach.

Didn't UMD understand that we were PICKED to win the ACC?

Sep 28, 2008, 11:31 AM

Coming into Bowden's TENTH season, the Bowden fans' latest excuse was that we shouldn't have expected Clemson to win the ACC under Bowden because Clemson was never PICKED to win the ACC before. (Never mind that Jim Grobe did it without being picked-- and with less player-talent and worse facilities.) So I don't understand. This year, Clemson was picked overwhelmingly to win the ACC. And those same sports writers picked us to beat UMD in Death Valley. But we lost. There must be some mistake.

In order to win the ACC, it looks like we'll have to win-out, and UMD will have to get beaten by two more ACC teams. So based on the sports writers' pre-season prediciton, the rest of the season will be a great one for Clemson. I can't wait.

ESPN & Washington Times think Bowden under-achieves...

Sep 28, 2008, 12:26 PM

Clearly, the out-of-touch media doesn't understand what a brilliant coach Bowden is...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/d1scourse/2008/Sep/27/road-to-perdition/

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/acc/0-2-257/Clemson-continues-to-underachieve-under-Bowden.html

It hurts to read it, but it hits the nail...

Sep 28, 2008, 4:51 PM

right on the head. It's embarrassing, really. Here's my favorite TB & RS quotes from the ESPN blog...

"I just don't think you can go out there and run the ball up and down the field and just move it and score at will when you play good teams." - TB - What he doesn't get is that "running the ball up and down the field just to move it and score at will" is exactly what GOOD teams do other teams. Is that not what we're trying to be, TB?

"I think we're playing as hard as we can. I think we're playing as hard as we can, and I can't define that as underachieving. We're doing the best we can. We struggled obviously in critical situations today." - RS - Now this is the kind of mindset that motivates people to do their absolute mediocre. To think that the players on our team are playing to the best of their abilities is naive at best and just plain dumb in reality. Our players should have a fire in their bellies to always find ways to raise the level of their game, and that motivation comes from within as well as from their coaches. The idea is to get better and better each week as the season progresses, right RS?

Like I said, it really is embarrassing.

I graduated in '99...

Sep 28, 2008, 10:04 PM [ in reply to ESPN & Washington Times think Bowden under-achieves... ]

and was present in the media room as a member of the Collegiate IPTAY Club when Bowden was presented as Clemson's new head football coach. I remember how excited I was about where Clemson football was headed.

Fast forward 10 years. I've been a staunch supporter of CTB during his tenure here. I wish him the best in his future endeavors where ever they may be as long as they're not at Clemson.

I was in the stands this past Saturday and witnessed one of the most pathetic halves in Clemson football history...aside from the Alabama debacle. What happened in the second half is clearly an example of what bad coaching will get you. It's time for a change.

10 w/o a championship is enough...

Sep 28, 2008, 12:30 PM

and don't tell me the season isn't over because if you think that, you haven't been paying attention the past 10 years. You are only setting yourself up for more disappointment. I like Tommy Bowden. He is a nice guy, nice sense of humor, and I appreciate his effort and desire to make Clemson a champion. But he has had more than enough chances to accomplish that goal and it is time for a change.

Chris Simmons
class '06

BUBBLE SCREEN!

Sep 28, 2008, 12:30 PM

if i see one more bubble screen or tunnel screen on 3rd and long one more time then i don't even know. It's absolutly crazy!!!! the worse part is that we're not even throwing downfield at all. We have 6'5 all ACC reciever and a speedster in Kelly and Ford. This is just plain stupid
-point is, try to get ron zook

Get Ron Zook????Get more of the same as we have....

Sep 28, 2008, 1:52 PM

as for me - I'll take someone a bit more of the Saban style (coaches tough, prepares tough, adjusts to the opponent's adjustments, can think, doesn't tolerate softness, is a leader). The only thing I can think of that Tommy does VERY well is recruit.

Re: Get Ron Zook????Get more of the same as we have....

Sep 28, 2008, 6:43 PM

I agree. However, to get someone like Saban it costs about 4 Million per year. Our admin will never pay that.

Why only ONE downfield pass in 2nd half? (And it worked.)

Sep 28, 2008, 4:31 PM

I just re-watched the 2nd half offensive plays to see what went wrong. Maryland played tougher and adjusted to put more guys in the box and stuff the run. And Clemson had lots of breakdowns. But what kills me is that Clemson only threw downfield ONE time in the second half. (A 20-yard sideline pass to Grisham which got a defensive pass-interference call.) And FOUR-of-FIVE (arguably five-of-five) of Clemson's 2nd half drives effectively ended because Harper didn't throw past the 1st down marker on 3rd down. I can't tell if that was Spence's fault or Harper had to check down due to coverage. But it's maddening that with star receivers like Kelley, Ford, Grisham, Dye, (and Spiller) we can't throw a ball downfield once in a while, and we can't throw past the 1st down marker on 3rd down.

2ND HALF DRIVES
1st Drive End: (3rd & 7) Harper under-threw Grisham (who was 4 yards short of the 1st down marker and would have likely been tackled short.)

2nd Drive End: (3rd & 23) Swing pass to Kelley 22 yards short of the 1st down marker. Gain of about 14.

3rd Drive End: (3rd & 9) Pass to Ford 5 yards short of 1st down marker. Gain of 4.

4th Drive End: (3rd & 10) Harper sacked by unblocked LB.

5th Drive End: (3rd & 18) 5yd pass to Spiller, 13 yards short of the 1st down marker, who runs for 12 more, but ends up just shy of the marker. (This lead to Harper's 4th down QB "sneak" for no gain which effectively sealed the loss. Never in a million years would I put the game on Harper's running abilty when I have a stable of star running backs, but that's another story.)

I watched several games on Saturday. It seems like the good teams stretch the field and keep defenses honest by throwing downfield once in a while. Clemson hardly ever seems to throw more than about 7 yards beyond the line of scrimmage-- even to get past the marker on 3rd down.

Coming into this season, I had visions of Ford, Kelley, Grisham, Spiller, and Dye burning opponents for big passing plays at least a few times each game. I just don't understand why we have no downfield passing game.

Harper has an artificially high completion ratio because (as Spence openly admits) Spence prefers to call high percentage short passes. Of course lately those "safe" passes are resulting in turnovers including a pick-6 and yesterday's backward-pass/fumble. And then Bowden defends his choice to play Harper because Harper's completion ratio is high. (Nevermind the turnovers.) It just makes no sense to me.

Can somebody help me understand?

The problem is not the 3rd down plays....

Sep 28, 2008, 4:37 PM

The problem is what got us into these kind of crappy down and distance situations to begin with. Guys in the NFL have trouble converting these kind of 3rd downs

1st Drive End: (3rd & 7)
2nd Drive End: (3rd & 23)
3rd Drive End: (3rd & 9)
4th Drive End: (3rd & 10)
5th Drive End: (3rd & 18)

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

But NFL teams throw past the 1st down marker (and downfield)***

Sep 28, 2008, 5:05 PM

great analysis***

Sep 28, 2008, 6:48 PM [ in reply to Why only ONE downfield pass in 2nd half? (And it worked.) ]

Sep 28, 2008, 8:04 PM

It marks the seventh time in Bowden's 10 seasons at Clemson that a ranked Tiger team has lost at home to an unranked opponent.

Enough said! It's time for Bowden and Co. to GO!

Sep 28, 2008, 8:41 PM

How about a Tiger Poll: Do you want to keep Tommy Bowden at Clemson? I would love to see the numbers on that.

Oh yeah we cant do that b/c then Terry Don would no longer accredit tigernet.com

Sep 28, 2008, 9:40 PM

I, for one, was a supporter of TB and Co. At least in the last couple years when people wanted him out. I definitely have a change of heart now. First, it was the AL debacle. And now losing to MD in this manner, again! Enough already! As a loyal Tiger fan, the hurting has been too much and too often in the last 10 years!

I am sure there are many out there like myself now who were supporter of TB until the start of this season but not any longer.

As Clemson fans, we are forced to deal with just too much pain and heartbreaks - all because of how our players are coached or lack thereof. Embarrassing games and disappointments must stop now! FIRE BOWDEN!

The Saddest Thing

Sep 28, 2008, 10:47 PM

The saddest thing about this loss was the realization that struck me as I was sitting there watching time expire in the fourth quarter: Somewhere in the back of my mind I expected this. As I was quietly filing up the steps and out of the stadium after the game, I realized that I wasn't as mad or depressed about the way we lost this game as I would have been in the past. I think it's called complacency. It's what happens when you are used to the same thing happening over and over to the point where you become satisfied with it. I feel guilty, but the truth is I have become satisfied with underachieving. I have become satisfied with underachieving because that is what I have been given for so long and there hasn't been anything I could do about it. My expectations about the Clemson Tigers have been gradually eroded over the past few years. Attending the heart breakers like Boston College in 2007 and South Carolina in 2006, or the flat out embarrassing ones like Alabama this year or Virginia Tech last year have all contributed. Maybe it's the fact that we are destined to lose at least two ACC games per season. I just don't want to be like the South Carolina fans who know the are going to lose a game before the kickoff, regardless of opponent, but I fear my heart is moving in that direction.

Sep 29, 2008, 1:19 AM

on a side note..... Cullen is now 3-5 on td/ints..... and 66% on completion % of which 95% of his passes are under 5 yards so it should actually be around 50%. And throw in 2 fumbles also.

If we change nothing and spence continues to not use our tallent, what are some predictions on how this season will end.....?

I say at best 9-3 at worst 6-6 but i'll stick with 8-4 as usual.

Lets face it, with coaching like we have had this season we could possibly lose to any of the following:

@Wake (great coach)
GT (new spread off. and new coach looking good)
@BC(I know they suck this year but 0-3 is hard to argue)
@FSU
Sadly....@Duke (remember '04 under bowden)
and USC (Spurrier = good coach, Bowden = bad coach)

I hate to be negative but being a clemson fan these last few years has sadly made me expect the worst and hope for the best. Set your standards low because most likely that is what you are going to get.

Good luck ( we sure need it ) and Go Tigers!

Seems to me that Rob Spence is the one that needs to go.....

Sep 29, 2008, 9:07 AM

I know that the buck stops with Bowden, but the recruiting, the facilities and the most important to the school... the money, that has come because of him it is going to be hard to make that a reality. I think the push from everyone should be focused more on Rob Spence and not Bowden. I don't believe that spence has quite the contract that Bowden has and HE is he one responsible for play calling....just one man's opinion. Listen I was at Clemson during the Tommy West era...and if fans keep filling the seats and the school keeps making the money like they are...why would they have any reason to stop. You stop the donations and the tickets sales...then you'll see change...until then... its not going to happen. Though mediocre with us the fans is not exceptable...the money that football generates for the school is up...and doing better than ever. Why would they have any reason to change...it is still a business.

Sep 29, 2008, 10:07 AM

Everyone wants him out. 1 guy said bring in Ron Zook. That did not seem to generate much excitement. Who would you replace him with? He's get canned today.....Who do you want to bring in? I think that would make an interesting topic? Is it Sweeny's job to loose?

Sep 29, 2008, 10:51 AM

In my opinion I would love to try and steal skipp holtz, but getting another coach would not be a problem. Clemson is a dream job for coaches with or without current coaching jobs. Great new facilities, Beautiful campus, Great college town wrapped up in football, Boatloads of skill players. If UNC can get Butch Davis, USC can get Spurrier, Michigan can get Rich Rod., Duke can get Cutcliffe, I'm pretty sure Clemson could get whoever we want. Finding a better coach is not a problem!! Clemson could snag just about any assistant coach from premier teams and give them a shot as the head coach also. Think if we had Dan Mullen from Florida or Dave Chritensen from Mizzou for example. There are so many options I don't know where to start.

Pick one, they are all better than what we have.

I agree. There's a long list of coaching candidates.

Sep 29, 2008, 12:15 PM

Candidates would be lining up to coach at a lovely warm-weather, lakeside school like Clemson, with great facilities, middling academic standards, a proud football tradition, and big fanbase... and where they give you at least a decade to win a conference title in one of the weakest conferences.

I wish they had hired Butch Davis or Steve Spurrier when they had the chance. I'd like to see them steal a proven HC like Jim Grobe. Although USC's OC, Sarkisian, might be a good choice if you want to give a non-HC a chance.

I wouldn't trust anybody on the current staff to be head coach. I think they're all cut from Bowden's nice-guy, everybody-loses mold.

Sep 30, 2008, 9:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Tigers "Self-Implode" Against Terps, 20-17 ]

I live in Greenville, NC and go to the ECU games....Skip Holtz is not the answer. That would be even worse. Great Conference USA coach, but not an ACC coach. Someone said how much they would love to have Spurrier...that makes me sick to my stomach...take your ### off this chat board if you believe that. That's TREASON!!! Ha!

Our OL coach, Brad Scott, was head coach at South Carolina!

Sep 30, 2008, 12:06 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/football/07/bscott.jsp

Let's see. Spurrier won the ACC title at Duke. He won 8 SEC titles and a national championship in 12 years at Florida while keeping Florida in the Top 15 each year. He won a Heisman and coached a Heisman QB. I think I could live with Spurrier as a head coach at Clemson. I said that I wish Clemson had hired him before he went to SoCar. But I'd still hose the stench off of him and take him now. :) If we can stomach having former SoCar head coach, Brad Scott, as or OL coach, then I think we could live with Spurrier.

Re: Our OL coach, Brad Scott, was head coach at South Caroli

Oct 1, 2008, 10:51 AM

Look at how horrible B. Scott was at SC....why in the heck did we hire him in the first place??? I have asked this question since day one. I understand the difference between head coach and OL coach, but it was ridiculous to begin with. Now it is really shining because we have two prolific runners and B.Scott can't get our line to give them a hole. I am tired of the good 'ol boy system we have at Clemson. Fire some of these idiots and bring in some fresh faces.

"They need some tough-guy coaches" - Joe Bostic***

Sep 29, 2008, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Re: Tigers "Self-Implode" Against Terps, 20-17 ]

Re: "They need some tough-guy coaches" - Joe Bostic***

Sep 29, 2008, 11:35 AM

WHO EXACTLY WOULD THAT BE?

Re: "They need some tough-guy coaches" - Joe Bostic***

Sep 29, 2008, 12:00 PM

“Any time you have two pretty good teams and one self-destructs, that's the one that will probably lose the game," No S*** T.B. ! We have the suckiest coach ever. What a p**** !

The Death of Clemson Football

Sep 29, 2008, 2:20 PM

I fully support the idea of having Tiger Town Graphics print up and sell black T-shirts with the orange tiger paw on them if we keep Bowden and Spence. The black symbolizing the death of tiger football, but the orange tiger paw as the support for our players on the field. President Barker will end up looking more like a hero to tiger fans when he gets rid of those 2 terrible coaches. The ACC Championship is slipping away fast. The bye week is the perfect time to get rid of these jokers.

Oct 1, 2008, 8:11 PM

Ok so we all know that Bowden has not proven himself on the field and obviously we need a change b/c of that. I have beef with him on a different level though as should every clemson fan.

Since I came to Clemson in 2003 as a student, and since graduated, I could not wait for football season with team and coach pep rallies/ hard nosed/ won't take losing as an option football! Problem.......

Tommy, during my entire tenure at Clemson, Never once tried to relate to the students through any type of pep rally or really any other form. Things that I saw at other programs that look like such a good time never happened at clemson. The whole "Clemson Family" is a great thing but I have never considered Tommy as part of the "Family". Never in his entire 10 years here at Clemson has he made an effort to cater to his loyal fans or the most important part, THE STUDENTS (who will one day come back to Clemson as alumni hopefully without a bad taste in their mouths because of the negativity surounded by Tommy's boring press conferences that tell us nothing, a lack of accepting when he and his staff are wrong, and total lack of interest for students).

I use to love when coach Purnell for basketball would at least send an email to all the students asking for support in big games, and then sending us all an email after the game thanking us "as students" for our encouragement to the team. Who would have thought that CLEMSON, destined to be at the bottom of the ACC in basketball forever, would finally fire their coach? now look at us!!

A lot of coaching is definitely on the field performance, but a good coach also has some personality and the ability to have good public relations. Tommy is an "ok" at best coach on the field, but his PR work is absolutely aweful and often embarrasses us in the national spotlight.

Just my Two Cents that is unrelated to his performance on the field for those who need more proof of his underachieving.

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic