Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tigers Overcome Early Miscues, Rout S.C. State, 54-0
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Sep 20, 2008, 8:02 PM

The cannon mis-firing, two early interceptions could have spelled trouble against another opponent. S.C. State, however, offers little resistance and the Tigers romp to an easy win. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tigers Overcome Early Miscues, Rout S.C. State, 54-0

Sep 20, 2008, 8:26 PM

That article a little more negative than it should be. I personally thought that was the most complete game we've played this year. I'm not saying we don't have any concerns, but I do think we played pretty well. I'm getting pretty tired of all the negativity about our season up to this point. Quit yer bichin.

Sep 20, 2008, 11:13 PM

The writer(s) must be one of those "slippery slopers". I thought the Team looked great.

Thumbs up

Sep 21, 2008, 12:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Tigers Overcome Early Miscues, Rout S.C. State, 54-0 ]

#####!

I think the aticle is just being realistic. Haven't we

Sep 21, 2008, 12:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Tigers Overcome Early Miscues, Rout S.C. State, 54-0 ]

destroyed cupcakes before only to struggle against conference opponents? I always remember mistakes in those easy games were the same mistakes we made in tougher games. They cost us dearly in the tough ones though.

Re: I think the aticle is just being realistic. Haven't we

Sep 21, 2008, 8:12 AM

We will find out how good we are in the next four games.

Sep 21, 2008, 8:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Tigers Overcome Early Miscues, Rout S.C. State, 54-0 ]

Those negative fellings certainly describe me.THe Alabama loss was a disgrace by the way we lost.However,Alabama looks like a pretty good team.We got a long way to go,but i hope we are on the right track.The three wins prove nothing about our improvement.The State win looks better with their win over ECU.We still only completed about 30 percent of our third down conversions yesterday.That is a concern.Cullen Harper is not the same quarterback that he was last year in terms of production.Major concern!However,we are 3-1 and should be proud of it.The hard part of the schedule comes in next few games.Maryland is tough and physical and averages 320lbs per man on the offensive line.Wake Forest is physical and fundamentally sound.Ga. Tech is very much a better team this year with Paul Johnson at the helm.BC always give us fits.Tiger Nation,the road has got a lot tougher.If those key improvemnts have been made,we wil know in the next four games.For thr future and championship aspirations of the fans,players,and coaches,I hope we see them come to pass.The talent is there to win the ACC:we just have to use our players in the best possible positions and plays.Lets win the ACC and go to the BCS!

Sep 20, 2008, 10:48 PM

I saw that Stanley Hunter was injured late and it appeared to be something with his left leg, does anybody know the extent o the injury.

Sep 21, 2008, 8:13 AM

They said on the radio that it was a slightly sprained ankle and should be okay.

Pryor > Boeckman. Taylor > Glennon. Korn > Harper?

Sep 21, 2008, 2:49 AM

I know we've only seen a bit of Korn so far, but it seems to me that he's at least as good at passing and definitely better at rushing and scrambling than Harper. I wasn't on the Korn bandwagon last season or earlier this season. But at this point, it looks like he'd give Clemson a better chance to win. If Harper is throwing picks and fumbling against SCSt and NCSU, I'm afraid it could get ugly against Wake, FSU, GT, UNC, VT et al. Does Harper really have that much better of a command of the offense than Korn? As a casual spectator, it's hard for me to see that. I guess I should trust that the coaches know best. I absolutely believe that the coaches know which QB is best. I just don't trust them to be disloyal to their senior captain QB. I could be wrong.

Cullen Harper

Sep 21, 2008, 9:20 AM

Heres the problem I have with BOWDEN on Cullen.
1st off,I am not down on Cullen,by no means.And
no I am not ready to bench Harper.
But!When other players on the team make mistakes,
such as mis tackles,fumbles,drop passes or what
ever.Alot of times they are caught by our coaches
on the side line and are basicly laid into(fussed
at?)And many times are forced to sit a spell on
the side lines.But nooo,not Cullen Harper.No one
ever says a word to him when he messes up.Why
shouldn't he have to set a drive or 2 when he turns
the ball over. I guess nothing is his fault,is that
right Tommy?
With that said,I expect.Or at least I hope Cullen
gets it together and I look forward to him having
a great game against Maryland.

Clemson-31....Maryland-17

This isn't USuCk, You don't bench your starter for an INT..

Sep 21, 2008, 11:15 AM

unless he isn't your starter. If you want a QB controversy, then bench away. If you subscribe to the Ole Ball Sac's rotating QB cluster f###, than be my guest.

However, we have a chance to win the ACC title. You play your record breaking senior quarterback because he gives you the BEST chance to accomplish your season goals.

Re: This isn't USuCk, You don't bench your starter for an INT..

Sep 21, 2008, 12:43 PM

If you are talking about the Cullen Harper of last year,there would be no doubt that he is the best qb on the field.Since he came up shaking his shoulder against Alabama,he throws the football like he is hurt.His throws are high and limited to the short throwing game.He threw 2 ints in the first quarter against SC State.Mistakes like that will cost us against better competition and and maybe an the ACC title.We need to play our best healthiest qb and not worry about a qb controversy or hurting somebodys feelings.These are grown men and should be treated accordingly.

Thank you!

Sep 21, 2008, 6:03 PM

Glad someone understands!

3 INTs & a fumble in the last 2 games. Tressel & Beamer did.

Sep 21, 2008, 1:17 PM [ in reply to This isn't USuCk, You don't bench your starter for an INT.. ]

AN interception? Harper gave the ball away FOUR times in the last two games against WEAK teams. He fumbled away to NCSU, and he threw 3 interceptions including a pick-6. He basically threw a second pick-6 against NCSU but the NCSU defender dropped an easy interception at the Clemson 10.

If you really hate SoCar, I guess you can question the judgement of one of the best coaches and QB coaches in the history of college football, in an irrelevant analogy. But Tressel & Beamer are now playing (not rotating) their dual-threat underclassmen QBs over perfectly good, senior championship-winning QBs. Are they wrong to do so? And how is Clemson's situation different?

I'm not saying that Korn is the better choice. All I'm saying is that from what I'VE SEEN, Korn can pass at least as well, and can DEFINITELY run better-- not only in a scramble to avoid the sack, but as a true dual-threat runner. What makes Harper better than Korn? I'd have to guess it's something that's invisible to the casual fan (like leadership, poise, or command of the offense), because it LOOKS TO ME like Korn's dual-threat capablity would give Clemson the better chance to win-- especially in light of the questionable O-line play. Does loyalty to a senior have NOTHING to do with the coaches' decision? I wonder.

Re: 3 INTs & a fumble in the last 2 games. Tressel & Beamer did.

Sep 21, 2008, 1:26 PM

Remember we went through this with Will Proctor.Tommy refused to make a change to Harper saying that Proctor was our best qb.We all know how that turned out.Whether it be senior loyalty or just plain stubborness,you have the question the wisdom of our staff.If we lose a chance for the Atlantic Divsion or ACC title over this,then it is time for a coaching change this year.

Re: 3 INTs & a fumble in the last 2 games. Tressel & Beamer did.

Sep 21, 2008, 4:35 PM

Every week, if this happens then it is time for a coaching change...yadda, yadda, yadda. Can some of you guys never be satisfied. We won 54-0 as should have happened...fine....case closed. Good job!

Of course we can do better but if.....

If snows this winter - time for a coaching change
If you have turkey for Thanksgiving - time for a coaching change
If the cowboys don't win the NFC East - time to fire Tommy
If I don't get promoted at work - time for a Clemson coaching change.

Obviously, this is a bit obsurd but come on. Let's get ready to play the Terps and make a run at a title!

So we can't analyze & discuss ideas for improvement here?***

Sep 21, 2008, 6:50 PM

Re: So we can't analyze & discuss ideas for improvement here?***

Sep 21, 2008, 7:38 PM

Yes, of course. Sorry if I sounded negative. I am just willing to let the season play out and not pack it in with a ton of doom and gloom. Bowden obviously HAS to prove something this year and I guess time will tell.

Go Tigers!

Sep 22, 2008, 7:29 PM [ in reply to So we can't analyze & discuss ideas for improvement here?*** ]

You have never had a positive post.....

Sep 24, 2008, 8:20 PM

Go Tiger! Let's go 2-0 in the ACC.

Sep 24, 2008, 8:20 PM [ in reply to Re: So we can't analyze & discuss ideas for improvement here?*** ]

Go Tigers! Let's go 2-0 in the ACC.

You can't make a comparison of QBs on that game

Sep 21, 2008, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Pryor > Boeckman. Taylor > Glennon. Korn > Harper? ]

The starting QB (Harper) plays against a 1st string defense who isn't tired yet, and is fired up through 2 quarters. A backup QB (Korn) is playing against either 2nd/3rd stringers, or an extremely tired 1st string who's lost all hope.

Give Harper a lot of credit this season. He is commanding the offense well, keeping his linemen comfortable under chaning snap counts, has improved his timing, and doesn't hold onto the ball very long. Harper is an excellent QB who has done nothing but improve since day one.

Korn will have his day. But he's not the savior that many people make him out to be, and a lot of people are going to be dissappointed... probably the same people who called for Whithurst's head after some bad losses.

Re: You can't make a comparison of QBs on that game

Sep 21, 2008, 1:06 PM

I completely agree. Harper is the starter because he has better command of the offense and gives Clemson the better chance to win. Racking up 7 for 7 in 4th quarters against the tired 1st string or the 2nd or 3rd string defense means nothing.

Re: You can't make a comparison of QBs on that game

Sep 21, 2008, 4:36 PM

Agreed

Good point. But didn't Korn have tired/2nd-string offense?

Sep 21, 2008, 1:52 PM [ in reply to You can't make a comparison of QBs on that game ]

You're right that it's tough to compare. I'm not sure if Korn was playing against 2nd and 3rd string defenders, but I'm pretty sure he was surrounded by a tired and/or 2nd-3rd string offense-- yet Korn still looked better. (And whatever string, it's apparent that Korn is a better runner & scrambler.) So I guess the case for Harper is that he has a better command of the offense? I could buy that argument. But I wonder.

Re: Good point. But didn't Korn have tired/2nd-string offense?

Sep 21, 2008, 4:40 PM

In my opinion, Harper should certainly be the starter and take most of the snaps but It could be beneficial the give Korn a few series a game to keep the D on their toes...but who knows.

Re: Good point. But didn't Korn have tired/2nd-string offens

Sep 21, 2008, 8:34 PM

This is STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!

FINALLY!

Sep 21, 2008, 10:59 PM

have a point for stating the obvious

thank you!

Sep 22, 2008, 2:26 PM

Cullen has thrown 3 tds and 4 ints so far against a good Bama team, 2 non BCS schools and a NC state team that is questionable for the worst team in our division....and don't forget the fumble... A 3/5 td/turover ratio ..... wow!

And don't forget cullen's -12 net rushing yards on the season so far and a QB rating of 133...... also impressive! Most people don't think that stat is important but from a defensive standpoint if you know the QB won't run or is terrible at it, it makes their job much easier by focussing on the pass only. It also keeps us from ever running one of the best offensive plays in football. THE OPTION is not an option with cullen.... Those screen plays and play action sets would work a whole lot better if cullen would work on selling the play fake better too.... He is terrible at that!!!

No one is jumping off the bandwagon and we all hope for a good ending to our season no matter who the personel are, but a good majority of us agree that personel changes or substitutions every now and then could help out a good bit to see what works BEST. That does not mean we are going to quit cheering, donating, going to games, or any other nonsense. It just means that even the fans can see and point out bonehead moves by our coaching staff. You have to look at the stats and realize they are not what they were last year, in fact they are Terrible! The easy part of our schedule is over, get ready folks.

More Stats

Sep 22, 2008, 3:13 PM

Here are the td/int, QB rating, and rushing numbers in the ACC for DECENT teams.

1. T.J. Yates 6-1 167 UNC -34 rushing
2. R. Skinner 5-0 140 Wake -3 rushing
3. Christian Ponder 6-3 140 FSU 75 rushing
4. Chris Turner 5-5 137 MD -46 rushing
5. Robert Marve 2-1 136 Miami 0 rushing
6. Thaddeus Lewis 5-0 136 Duke 107 rushing
7. Cullen Harper 3-4 132 Clemson -12 rushing
8. Josh Nesbitt 1-1 121 GT 290 rushing
9. Tyrod Taylor 0-2 92 VT 150 rushing

Just for kicks...
Willy Korn 1-0 169 Clemson 18 rushing CMP% 78
Cullen Harper 3-4 132 Clemson -12 rushing CMP% 66

Although Korn only played as a closer those numbers are hard to argue with. I would like to see what he could do with the first string in the first half. It can't be any worse than what we have.

Re: More Stats

Sep 22, 2008, 7:36 PM

You and razzmatazz should get married......or get on some strong anti-depressants.

Wow...We still have 8 reg. season games left.

Sep 22, 2008, 9:00 PM

Are you cullen's relative or something......?

You should grow a pair of balls and realize other people have opinions. Or go to SoCar who are destined for mediocracy. You seem to be happy with that...... How narrow minded can you be to go and bash other people on a Clemson forum for not having your same opinion? Coot!

Sep 24, 2008, 5:11 PM

You were the guy that made his sister cry.......No class.

Sep 23, 2008, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Re: More Stats ]

Apparently GWC doesn't like it when people express differing opinions in a calm, mature, intelligent manner, without name calling-- especially if those opinions are backed by statistics which contradict his opinion.

Sep 24, 2008, 5:20 PM

That sounds about right......You have CH having to defend his family instead of worrying about the Turtles defense. I am stupid enough to think we can still win 10 or 11 games this year....sorry it just gets old.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic