Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tigernet Disservice
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Tigernet Disservice

Aug 18, 2018, 7:53 AM

IMHO … with Clemson football finally in a position to bring in a full class of 25+ recruits, that means 80-100 offers will be extended … including some that would be considered "flyers". (In my mind, the recent offer that was extended to the OL recruit from CA was a "flyer" since he was making a decision w/o ever visiting Clemson). That means that for every one Clemson commitment, we're going to have maybe four kids that elect to go elsewhere … that's a batting average of just .200. When Tigernet highlights (in orange) almost every recruiting decision on its front page, especially the long-shots, collectively, this creates the impression that Clemson is being regularly rejected and that recruiting is not going well. Maybe we need to focus on who we get … and not who we don't.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Read this

Aug 18, 2018, 7:59 AM

https://herosports.com/college-football/college-football-recruiting-sec-rankings-offers-tennessee-iowa-state-ahah

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Perspective

Aug 18, 2018, 8:30 AM

South Carolina offers twice as many recruits as Clemson. TN, Ole Miss, Miss State, KY offer 3X as many recruits. Clemson offers fewer than the vast majority of Power 5 schools. So our .200 batting average is really, really good.

As far as 'too much coverage' on TNET, I respectfully disagree. Here's why:

1) Recruiting is THE big news in the off-season. National signing day is a huge deal and everybody wants to know where we stand versus other teams in the recruiting rankings. We all know that recruiting wins championships. Look to Bama and their consecutive years of having the #1 recruiting class. Which leads to...

2) Clicks make money. I'd be willing to bet that recruiting articles get just as many clicks as any other content TNET publishes. And with Clemson only offering ~90 recruits a year, there's probably not as much content as they'd like.

On the other hand, imagine being a fan of USC or UT where you're reading rejection articles 200-300 times a year!

Re: Perspective

Aug 18, 2018, 10:53 AM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Just-a-reminder-1802416

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Great article, tu for posting!***

Aug 18, 2018, 2:03 PM [ in reply to Read this ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Read this

Aug 18, 2018, 6:47 PM [ in reply to Read this ]

We offered 156 players.

Valid point on “over-reporting”, but

Aug 18, 2018, 8:02 AM

Is it really a big deal? It’s not like TigerNet headlines make the ESPN ticker, and maybe the fact that one OL chose elsewhere makes another of the “fliers” more likely to seriously consider his Clemson offer?

I am all for accentuating the positive, but reporters report.

Re: Tigernet Disservice

Aug 18, 2018, 8:17 AM

You're probably going to catch a lot of flak for that post, and I agree with you.

Clemson is very selective about who gets offered and has a ridiculously high hit ratio compared to other schools. You don't exactly get that impression by reading Tigernet, which can be very misleading.

Personally, I don't care about the ones we don't get. Especially ones that we never lead for, and were only in their Top 5 because we're Clemson and everybody we offer automatically lists us in their top 5. I only pay attention to the ones we get, and to be perfectly honest I really care until they've signed their National LOI.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2018, 8:34 AM

I agree with you all and have posted similar in the past and taken heat for it. Which personally, i don’t think anyone should catch flack on their posts...

A lot of people read this site that don’t have any ties to Clemson as well as competition wanting to point any negative they can. As for other commits seeing it, I’d say our coaches are on top of it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2018, 10:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Tigernet Disservice ]

I agree with you. What I object to is the ticker tape headline announcing that a reecruit has picked another team and recently one of those stayed up for a couple weeks (it felt like). Why would that be important headline news for Clemson fans? Seems the ticker tape headline should be reserved for the most important bit of news.
I certainly don't want my words to come across as a criticism of the great work by the staff. Maybe they don't realize the impact of the headline each time someone comes to the site.

Aug 18, 2018, 8:25 AM

Absolutely agree. The Todd Gurley, Geno Hayes, Rashan Garys of the world? Absolutely. Report all you want on their committing elsewhere. But when the entire industry knows a kid only has Clemson in his final 5 only because Clemson is sexy right now, we don't need to hear how Clemson missed out on his commitment.

Message was edited by: dposton

http://www.mtv.com/onair/two_a_days/assets/season_2/images/flipbooks/episodes/finale/fb_10.jpg

Disagree

Aug 18, 2018, 8:33 AM

If TNet is going to cover a specific recruit's entire process in depth, then it needs to at least post a blurb about the final decisions.

If it doesn't then the boards will be even more inundated with stupid posts asking for an update because - no - those folks probably wont go hit Rivals for the scoop.

It doesnt make Clemson look bad to any person who understands the recruiting game. TigerNet should not serve as a 100% sunshine pump propoganda machine.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Disagree

Aug 18, 2018, 8:43 AM

Thanks. +1, didn’t even think about that, good point.

It even happens once it’s posted, it’s like some just read the comments section and forget to look on the front page.

At the same time, I agree with the original post that it does jump out at you and looks like another recruit “turned us down “ when in fact they were never really considering us and vice versa.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Disagree

Aug 18, 2018, 11:04 AM

I agree with raven. We don't need to post who we don't get.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think those scholarship won't all be filled in one class.

Aug 18, 2018, 11:59 AM

I doubt we'll offer that many or accept a full compliment of recruits. The burden of vetting so many would be heavy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, I said the same thing not long ago...

Aug 18, 2018, 12:06 PM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Re-PSA-to-all-you-recruiting-Debbie-Downers-(long)-23771242

Re: Yep, I said the same thing not long ago...

Aug 18, 2018, 12:14 PM

Agreed. Why not just post it in recruiting for those that want an update?

Aug 18, 2018, 12:35 PM

I agree

Gave you a TU for interesting topic, but...

Aug 18, 2018, 2:11 PM

Tigernet is giving us the info. Its up to each user to be knowledgeable and distinguish when there is a problem and when there isn't.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic