Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on the game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Thoughts on the game

Sep 28, 2019, 11:25 PM

So was only the 2nd game on the road I've ever got the chance to go to. Thought today would be a comfortable win considering we had won what I considered our 2 toughest games (A&M and 'Cuse) comfortably.

So in that aspect, I was disappointed with how today's game went. I feel that today was a combination of our team playing down to UNC's level & UNC playing up to our level. I thought today was the day we'd get into an offensive rhythm & we just never did. The false starts, TL being off the mark on some of the shots he did take, & being unable to get Etienne unleashed was troubling to watch. Defense yardage wise did great but we didn't get to their QB enough given that UNC had given up so many sacks going into the game. Overall felt we also never got the plays to just totally swing momentum - no turnovers on D, no big play on offense or special teams that would break their will, & seemed to let them off the hook defensively when we desperately needed to get them off the field.

But despite the things that went wrong, that UNC did everything in their power to win & our team did everything in their power to lose, at the end of the game, Clemson came out the victor. We just managed to cobble enough together offensively to get into the endzone, and Higgins made a great effort on the TD reception to get the lead. Special teams didn't get that big play that would've turned momentum, but Ngata is gonna break 1 loose before the year's out. & with all the momentum on UNC's side, our defense managed to make the play that mattered & keep UNC from converting the 2PT conversion.

So obviously there's alot that needs to be fixed going into the bye week. And we know that we're not going to be #1 after this performance. But maybe that will be a good thing. Get rid of the burden of being the top ranked team in the land, let the talking heads spew their garbage & fondle themselves over Bama/LSU/OSU, etc. Clemson needs to spend the bye week focusing on improving Clemson, then get ready to defend home turf against Florida State on the 12th.

5-0 is still 5-0 and I'll take an ugly win over a pretty loss. GO TIGERS!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thoughts on the game

Sep 28, 2019, 11:31 PM

glad we won. wish Potter had made the first half field goal. UNC played well but a lot of our stops were self inflicted. D was general good. they started slow but got better as the game went on. Ngata is going to take a kick off back this year. You can see that coming

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 28, 2019, 11:43 PM

Does anyone know why Ngata and Ladson aren't playing more? I only ask because Dabo religiously rolled 8-9 wr's through the rotation last year no matter who we played. Seems like we rarely see anyone other than Higgins, Ross, and Rogers on the field...

I'm just curious, obviously we're winning and Tee has been a stud this season. Trust/playbook just not there yet?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's been said that playing time increases . . .

Sep 29, 2019, 12:25 AM

for receivers when their run blocking ability improves . . . don't know that this is the reason . . .

just sharing what I've heard/read before . . .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2019, 8:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Thoughts on the game ]

parsdog said:

Does anyone know why Ngata and Ladson aren't playing more? I only ask because Dabo religiously rolled 8-9 wr's through the rotation last year no matter who we played. Seems like we rarely see anyone other than Higgins, Ross, and Rogers on the field...

I'm just curious, obviously we're winning and Tee has been a stud this season. Trust/playbook just not there yet?

I was thinking we should see more Tee, Ross and Rogers. I like playing a lot of people but when the offense needs to find a groove I say stay with your number 1's. Our offense will get on track soon or we will find ourselves on the losing end of a game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 28, 2019, 11:37 PM

Two things come to mind;
1)Was Tommy Bowden coaching?
Because our preparation reminded me of several games during his tenure when we got outcoached,and lost.
2) When did we bring back Rob Spence to coach the offense?
I'm seeing way to many "bubble" screen passes when Trevor should be passing downfield.
Oh, and please show me a "pretty loss"!

Sep 29, 2019, 12:29 AM

Come on dude. Your SEC teams have those “pretty losses” every time they play each other.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2019, 8:41 AM

Wake up call. Hope it works. We can’t be vanilla on Offense and expect to score easily. Glad TL is running more. Bubble screens are not working but perhaps they set up other routes.

Linemen moving. 6 times? What is with that? Are we keeping them in the set position too long?

On D, the three man front cannot stop the run. Except for Simmons, our LBs seem to lack size. But the D plays with intensity.

Too many missed FGs. Potter is great on kick offs, but if we can’t rely on FGs then we need a plan.

We don’t deserve to be #1. Still think we should win out and win ACC. After that, who knows? We don’t look like a top 4 team right now. Bama, OSU, OU, should finish undefeated. The other SEC teams (UGA, LSU, Auburn, Fla) will have at least one loss.
If we win out there should only be 5/6 teams with no losses. We should get in over UCF, Memphis and the one loss teams.

Maybe.

The media seems to want new teams in. Not that we can control that.

We just need to keep playing like we have something to prove. After last night, we do.

Thanks for bringing back a win

Sep 29, 2019, 8:42 AM

I am sure it was not the most comfortable day for visiting fans...gut check, reality check

I guess we could blame you for our performance, but I am going to credit you for pulling us through, instead

Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic