Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on the QB situation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,371

Thoughts on the QB situation

May 21, 2018, 4:28 PM

Really feel that we should've redshirted HJ last year if he wasn't going to end up being the starter. Tucker's health issues IMO are what kept the coaches from doing so. I was one that thought that he (HJ) would surpass KB as starter during the season since the redshirt never became an option - the fact that not only did that not happen, but that being lodged @ #3 behind Cooper & not getting meaningful snaps make me feel like we wasted a year that we could have let him hone his skills, get stronger in the weightroom, & came out this spring ready w/ a chance to win the starting job.

Ideally felt that with having both HJ & TL coming onto campus back to back, that redshirting HJ last year & redshirting TL this year while HJ, KB, & Brice competed for the starter job would've been best route. We still would've been in good shape QB wise & still be in title contention this year that way then really been set up for next couple years w/ KB graduating & TL joining the fold after a year of learning the system & hitting the weights. Now we've gone from having a good problem to have w/ QB depth to hoping that we're not hit by the injury bug @ QB in such a way that could have us mirroring what happened @ FSU last year when Francois went down.

I know TL is gonna be something special, KB has proven he can put us in position to content, & if the coaches had thought Brice couldn't come here & win, obviously they wouldn't have recruited him to start with. Let's just hope the football gods spare us any more misfortune for awhile so that regardless of who plays, we're in title contention & hopefully winning it all again this year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This isn't misfortune, it's college athletics in 2018

May 21, 2018, 4:33 PM

We have three quality QB, how is that misfortune? Belk clearly didn't want to be here, that's not misfortune, it's an 18 year old. We're loaded on the DL this year and will reload next year. Misfortune is a career ending injury, this isn't close to that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thoughts on the QB situation

May 21, 2018, 4:37 PM

I really feel that Zerek Cooper couldn't hit the broad-side of a barn, but that didn't stop them from playing him last year either...lol.

I wish HJ the best, but knew his transfer was probably inevitable if TL looked like he was going to pass him on the depth chart. I don't think redshirting HJ would have kept him from transferring, I've heard the kid wants to start and honestly, he's good enough to start on most teams right now. I really don't blame him, or our coaching staff.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thoughts on the QB situation

May 21, 2018, 6:12 PM

maybe now we have an idea what the coaches saw everyday. Just maybe HJ wasn't quite there. Going to Big 10 with their pro-set offenses and a red-shirt year might be best thing. Who knows maybe coaches wanted to red-shirt him this year but he looked on the recruiting board and saw what was coming.....

I've said this many times in the past but you just don't

May 21, 2018, 9:16 PM

redshirt 5-star players. You only benefit from redshirting a player if they stay for 5 years, and that almost never happens with 5-star kids. That's also assuming they are even willing to sign with you and redshirt to begin with which definitely will not always be the case.

Let them play their true freshman seasons and get some live game experience. That's worth infinitely more than a redshirt season that they will likely never use.

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,371
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic