Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on VT
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 2,317

Thoughts on VT

Oct 9, 2019, 11:48 AM

"VT" on the helmets needs to be changed to "###"

For the life of me, I can't understand how this program dropped so fast. Maybe Beamer hung on a few years too long. I thought Fuente was a good hire and a good fit at VT. I was impressed he made the ACC championship game in his first year. I thought that would help build some recruiting momentum for them.

Two years later, the only bowl they have a chance for is the Toilet Bowl (and they'd probably get flushed in it.) There's no excuse for VT not to be a 10 win team this season with their weak schedule. They play both BC and Wake from the Atlantic which both should be winnable games; but they have already lost to BC and Wake looks like a loss. Their OOC is Delaware, RI, ODU and Furman. That OOC schedule should illegal if not laughed at. Four easy wins. They're current SOS ranking....-4.35, That's right NEGATIVE.

Now they probably won't make a bowl. I don't know what's going on up there, but Fuente is obviously not getting it done. For a program know for being hard runners, they are 78th in rushing offense. Their passing offense isn't helping them either at 91st in the country. And it appears Bud Foster has stayed a year too long. Their scoring defense is 91st in the country. They have a -3 turnover margin which ranks them tied for 101st in the country. This doesn't sound like Beamer Ball to me.

I think VT needs to cut ties with Fuente ASAP unless they should marked improvement in the last 7 games of the year. Their recruiting is average as well ranked #26 right now. They are headed in a death spiral and they need to pull out. Justin isn't the pilot to do that.

VT is a proud program and deserves better.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope they get it together in the coming years

Oct 9, 2019, 11:53 AM

The ACC can use them being legit. They have one of the few fanbases in the league that REALLY cares.

Packman's opinion is that Fuente is a good coach but is not

Oct 9, 2019, 11:56 AM

a good fit at VwTf

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Hey bob, thanks for the reply. How about you just

Oct 9, 2019, 12:14 PM

let Pack on SiriusXM speak for himself on here from now on?

K thx bye

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

He did spoke for hisself...

Oct 9, 2019, 1:54 PM

I heard it.

Moran.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

It's hard for bob to have an original thought, like this one

Oct 9, 2019, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Hey bob, thanks for the reply. How about you just ]

I cut an pasted...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Thoughts on VT

Oct 9, 2019, 11:57 AM

Hope they keep him. I have heard that some of their fans want VT to come after Tony Elloitt. That might be a good job for him if he can get alumni ans administration support.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My thought on VT is that I sincerely hope they

Oct 9, 2019, 11:58 AM

lose every game they play in unless they are playing against the coots one day.

And you can call that OOC schedule "four easy wins" but ODU beat them last year. To he!l with VT and their crappy fans, I hope they suffer with a terrible football program for the next several decades.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I too thought Fuente was a good hire for them...

Oct 9, 2019, 12:05 PM

but so far that's not proving to be the case.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Oct 9, 2019, 12:10 PM

For a long time I thought of VT as one of the "good guys" in college football. Beamer had a Danny-esque approach to the game, and Blacksburg is like Clemson in a lot of ways.

Then, there were the reports of Bud Foster's arrogant comments in his interview for our HC job that Dabo got...and Aubrey Hollifield's comments last year when Dax signed with VT over us kind pushed me over the edge.

Now I love watching them lose. The ACC probably needs VT to be strong, but I just laugh when I see post game scores and the defense of the "best DC in college football" getting dragged up and down the field.

But, that's just me.

Oct 9, 2019, 1:35 PM

It's been a long time Bud Foster's defenses have been good.

Here's the insider scoop from SW Virginia.

Oct 9, 2019, 12:21 PM

One of my friends here in the area is former VT faculty and his partner is current faculty. I saw him at a conference in September and we were talking about how in the world did Fuente not work out at VT while Mendenhall is doing well at UVA? Everyone here predicted the exact opposite.

Turns out, the simple explanation from my friend is that the players don't like Fuente. I thought he was a good guy and a good hire, but apparently he is widely disliked by the players. So they don't want to play for him. Simple as that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Surprised people thought Mendenhall wouldn't work out

Oct 9, 2019, 2:55 PM

at UVA. He was very good at BYU and that's not an easy job.

Oct 9, 2019, 12:35 PM

Appreciate your thoughts as I have also been astonished at their fall from grace. They were for so
long a strong program and a fierce place to play. Winning up there was a big deal. Almost
as baffling as FSU.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2019, 12:35 PM

Agree. Who schedules their nonconference opponents? They already have it easy in conference with BC as their permanent cross rival and they avoid Clemson, FSU, Syracuse etc most years.

VT - may never come back!

Oct 9, 2019, 12:46 PM

Unless you can find kids who have a love of history; they may not be looked at as a destination school by young players. UVA will get the more talented players in Virginia and Maryland if they continue being consistently solid.
I am not aware of the contract Fuente has: but I can't imagine people in the athletic program are going to put up with the sub par output much longer!
They should at least be a team that's ranked 20 - 25 every year! Same with Miami while we are at it. They still get a good share of top talent per recruiting rankings!
At the end of the day - I really don't want them to be good enough to knock Clemson off. Just good enough to challenge and make us elevate our game!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

VT joined in 04. they won 10-11 games each year from '04-'11

Oct 9, 2019, 1:10 PM

2011 was the year we beat them twice - and really they were never the same since then. They won the ACC in 2004, 2007, 2008, and 2010. In 2005, they finished the regular season 11-1, but lost the ACC Title game to Unranked Florida State. They clobbered us in 2006 & 2007. '06 was in Blacksburg on a Thursday Night the week after the Georgia Tech College Gameday Spiller game. 2007 it was 31-8 at halftime after a Pick 6, a KO Return for a TD, and a Punt Return for a TD

Best Is The Standard

I was in attendance for that Thursday night debacle in 06

Oct 9, 2019, 2:09 PM

Clemson had 166 yards of total offense that night and Will Proctor couldn't hit water if he fell out of a friggin' boat.

Glennon certainly wasn't spectacular for VT either, but the Clemson defense couldn't stop Branden Ore. I believe he ran for 200+ yards on nearly 40 carries.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I wonder how many teams in CFB history have given up the

Oct 9, 2019, 2:57 PM [ in reply to VT joined in 04. they won 10-11 games each year from '04-'11 ]

non-offensive TD trifecta in a single half before. Somehow not surprising that a Tommy Bowden team would do that.

06 was less than FIVE DAYS after the GT Homecoming/Gameday

Oct 9, 2019, 3:59 PM [ in reply to VT joined in 04. they won 10-11 games each year from '04-'11 ]

epic beat down.

Thanks, Swofford.

There's something in these hills.

Oct 9, 2019, 1:37 PM

#1 If they use the ###, then what will an undefeated Wake team sport.

#2 Back when Beamer was there, it was about as toxic as a Jimbo Fisher team but Beamer could keep it smelling better. He was like a really good can of febreeze. Thus when he left, well, the stink came back.

Fuente is a good coach... but he is in the middle of a massive CULTURE shift - with the biggest legacy issue also in the same room: Bud Foster. Sadly, I don't think that Fuente has the ability to over come the current problem - and Bud Foster is horrifically bad against RPO schemes. See Clemson 2011 and now just about everyone they play. If a QB can read VT's D, it does not matter if they are Duke or ODU, they will beat Bud Foster. Basically, Fuente is as good at culture shifts as Tommy Bowden is at mid-quarter motivation speeches as Bud is at RPO.

#3 Two-Year Collapse - Ped State and Franklin are now much MUCH better at poaching Virginia talent. I know about 2 years ago, almost all of the Ped State team's skill positions from from VA. Add in a few other teams like Clemson poaching the 703/571/757 area codes and VT just isn't competitive.

I agree they need to cut Fuente. And Foster. Mostly cut Fuente because he would not cut Foster last year. Sadly this years coaching talent pool is a LOT weaker than what it was last year. Satterfield would have been a great VT hire but I don't know who they will now tab.

Satterfield's Mistake. Joining an Atlantic team

Oct 9, 2019, 1:53 PM

Satterfield and his staff should have waited and got in a Coastal division job somewhere. Now, they have to go through Clemson and FSU if they ever make it back. I think CU will be good for a while(of course right). I think WT will turn FSU around then get fired and someone else will take the credit. Either way, FSU is too talented not to win 9- 10 games a year!

Wish Satterfield & his staff had taken over at Miami!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Satterfield's Mistake. Joining an Atlantic team

Oct 9, 2019, 3:56 PM

I think Satterfield has an eye on another gig.

Louisville is an interesting spot because it can go 9-3/10-2 (even in the Atlantic) and then the Coach jumps to a Tier 1 school. See Petrino or Strong. Maybe FSU but my guess is an SEC school in a couple - like Auburn. It is likely a better stepping stool than NC State or most any coastal. Honestly, the Atlantic is not a bad place for a young coach considering how bad things are right now in the 2-7th spot. I don't see any Coastal teams being a good stepping stone beyond VaTech at the moment.

Oct 9, 2019, 3:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Thoughts on VT ]

Foster announced this summer that this would be his last season.

My take on that was that, not only do players not like playing for Fuente, but Foster doesn't like coaching for him.

Oct 9, 2019, 4:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Thoughts on VT ]

I never liked Beamer either. He was a Bobby Bowden clone. He never disciplined his players for off the field stuff.

"VT is a proud program and deserves better"

Oct 9, 2019, 4:04 PM

Clemson is a proud program that went through Hatfield, West, and Bowden. So I ain't feeling sorry for VT anytime soon.

a dozen years ago stupid media up here was all over vt

Oct 9, 2019, 4:15 PM

had not lost to clemson in 22 years
there had only been 5 games
it's now been 12 yrs since they beat us
hate them

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They didn't beat us for 32 years between 1954-1986

Oct 9, 2019, 4:51 PM

9 games. I, too used to somewhat like VT. I was at Beamer's first game as head coach (a loss to us).

But starting with the 1998 game, I can't stand those punks. We had one of my wife's Clemson classmates and her VT husband down for that thrashing. Free place to stay, free tickets, and that dude was all over me (until then basically a total stranger) for the rest of that weekend. Then I made the mistake of going to the Thursday nighter in Blacksburg the next year...oh, the KEYS! Seems like that was the first time that there was talk about them joining the ACC.

I have been around those fans at home, at Lane, and at the ACC championship, and they have been trash everywhere. I wouldn't care if they never won another game. They are neck and neck with NCS for my most hated team in the ACC.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 2,317
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic