Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on Sun Trust Park (long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Thoughts on Sun Trust Park (long)

May 16, 2018, 1:46 PM

Made my first visit to SunTrust Park last night with my dad. Some thoughts...(This is long. You have been warned)

Preface: I am currently 28 years old. Born & raised in metro-Atlanta roughly 30 minutes south of the former Fulton Co Stadium/Turner Field. Dad shared season tickets with friends growing up, so I went to roughly 10-15 or so games every year from birth until the last couple seasons.

As a lifelong Braves fan & Atlanta homebody, I was very disappointed upon hearing the news of the Braves relocating up to Cobb County. I know the move might have made sense for the organization financially in the long run, but I've always been of the thought that the sports teams belong within the actual city limits!

Anyways, I held out long enough but decided it was time to check out the new park. Most of my friends attend games regularly, and I remember davidhood® writing a review sometime last season, so I had an idea of what to expect.

I will say that the "Battery Park" area outside the stadium gates is very cool. Lots of different places to eat, drink, & hang out without needing a ticket to the game. The main knock on Turner Field was the lack of infrastructure & amenities surrounding the stadium, so this was a big upgrade. If the stadium wasn't located in one of the absolute worst parts of "Atlanta" for traffic, I would consider coming up without tickets just to watch a game from time to time.

Inside the stadium, everything is very new and nice, and seems to be a lot more "pedestrian friendly" than Turner Field was, especially in the outfield. I found this surprising since everything is so much noticeably smaller than The Ted was.

Unfortunately, these were the highlights of my experience, and pretty much everything else went downhill from there.

First, T.O.M. (The Old Man) and I decided to sit in the chophouse restaurant for a bite to eat and a brew; We snagged a table right as the starting lineups were being announced. Once the game started, the restaurant started blasting obnoxious rap music over the speakers. Again, I'm under 30 and I like hip-hop music. But this was not the time nor the place. Why not play the broadcast of the game over the speakers? Would have made for a much more appealing atmosphere. To make matters worse, they had some random "emcee" guy with a microphone that kept yelling out random nonsense every few seconds like he was a hype man killing time before the main act at a concert went on. Very annoying and totally killed the vibe, if there was even any at all.

Furthermore, you can't see the field from the restaurant, so they have several TVs set up....which would be fine, except half of them weren't even showing the game! The one to our left had a hockey game on, and the one in front of us was showing a movie...a movie! We asked if they could change the channel, but the server said 'no' because "the NBA playoff game was going to come on that channel."

So here I am, sitting in the flagship eatery inside the Braves new stadium, and I'm having to turn around 180 degrees and squint at a distant TV to even have any sort of idea what's going on in the game....THAT WE ARE ALL HERE FOR! I mean ####, if I was more interested in the NBA playoffs I would have stayed home to watch! I could understand if some of the bars outside at The Battery had other games on, like any other sports bar would, but INSIDE the stadium itself? TOM and I were both laughing at how ridiculous the situation was. At least the food was decent, but overpriced (to be expected.)

So as far as the actual ballpark itself...as I was sitting there in our seats looking around, I couldn't help but get a ping of sadness. I grew up loving going to Turner Field. At the very least, I was hoping SunTrust would be different enough from The Ted so that I wouldn't be drawn to compare the two. But alas, SunTrust Park is basically a smaller, watered down version of Turner Field: Bright, but not as big Delta & Coca-Cola signs over left field. The usual, but smaller, Home Depot and Napa Auto Parts signs flanking the big screen in center. New "Coors Lite" Chophouse restaurant over right center. Small, stupid, out of place looking "Home Depot Clubhouse" thing in left-center. No uniqueness or flavor to anything, just plastered with corporate logos everywhere. No more "Sky Field," which I actually found pretty cool as a kid and still enjoyed venturing up to as an adult. No skyline of Atlanta with the sunset in the background...

I will say that it was relatively easy to walk back & leave the parking deck. But that's really the only favorable impression that I was left with at that point...aside from getting to spend the evening at the ballpark with my dad, just like the good ol days. I just wish I could still be sharing these moments in Fulton County instead of Cobb!

In conclusion, I think DHood said it perfectly when he described the new park as a great place for folks who are there to eat & drink & be entertained, but leaves a lot to be desired for true baseball fans.

So I apologize for the long winded "negative nancy" post, but that's just how I feel about it. I'm interested to see what others think. That being said, it's good to see the Braves showing signs of life again, and I like the direction the franchise seems to be headed with all this young talent. I won't be surprised if I venture up to The Battery to hang out and watch a game from time to time, but I expect it will be a long time before I start to embrace SunTrust Park as the new "home of the Braves."

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thoughts on Sun Trust Park (long)

May 16, 2018, 1:59 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

May 16, 2018, 2:03 PM

don't say I didn't warn you ;)

May 16, 2018, 2:14 PM

Actually, I lied... I did read it. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I used to live in Gwinnett County before Turner field and the Georgia Dome were even built. I'm still in disbelief that Atlanta has built and discarded Turner Field and the Georgia Dome all since I left in 1996.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

I agree....

May 16, 2018, 2:28 PM

Even crazier when you consider how much money has gone into these projects...Billions upon billions of dollars for the demolition of Fulton County Stadium, construction of Turner Field, construction & demolition of the Ga Dome, and construction of Mercedes Benz Stadium & SunTrust Park...all within a 25 year span. Mind boggling

My folks still live in Peachtree City, but I've lived downtown off MLK for almost 2 years now...I think I'm partly bitter that now I'm within walking distance to Turner Field, with no Braves games to go see!

Re: I agree....

May 16, 2018, 5:57 PM

Not arguing your point, but "billions upon billions" is a pretty big exaggeration

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1.1 Billion just to build Sun Trust Park and the...

May 16, 2018, 9:14 PM

...Battery not counting Turner Field/Georgia Dome/Mercedes Dome construction and/or demolition. I would say Billions is an accurate statement.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: 1.1 Billion just to build Sun Trust Park and the...

May 16, 2018, 11:01 PM

lets just say i am pretty knowledgable about this... A few billion is not "billions upon billions " . For example - turner and ga dome combined were about 1/2 a billion. Ok ??

Huh?

May 17, 2018, 12:28 PM

So where is the threshold at which point "multiple billions" can be called "billions upon billions?"

Ga Dome - $215 million in 1992 = roughly $375 mil today
Turner Field - $210 million in 1996 = roughly $365 mil today
Mercedes Benz - $1.6 Billion
SunTrust Park - $1.1 Billion

So that's approximately $3.5 Billion dollars...maybe I should have said "multiple billions of dollars" instead of "billions upon billions?" Good grief!

What say ye, moab®?

Agree with your sentiment...

May 17, 2018, 6:57 PM

...know exactly what you're saying. Some people on here will argue about anything at all.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

May 16, 2018, 2:09 PM

CU2013®thanks for the review. I am thinking about heading down there tomorrow for the Cubs and Braves. Was hoping it was going to be better

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed

May 16, 2018, 2:12 PM

Oh well, what's done is done. I'll try to start to embrace it. Maybe I'll see you there...your 1st beer is on me!

May 16, 2018, 2:10 PM

Had to be a plus not getting mugged going back to your car.

you forgot to mention that.

Signed.

Happy living - North of Atlanta.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ha!

May 16, 2018, 2:22 PM

Typical misconception for the coddled, "North OTP" fans that the franchise is catering to.

I used to park alongside of Pryor street BEHIND the old silver lot west of I-85...often alone or with a friend/girlfriend as a teenager. Never had a single bad experience in 20+ years of doing so, all while parking for free, mind you.

I'll admit, nobody likes to encounter homeless beggers or navigate through suspect areas of town. But the notion that going to a game at Turner Field was dangerous is silly & borderline paranoid.

Oh and by the way, I'm not mad at ya, MT ;) Like I said before, the amenities outside the new stadium are a major upgrade

Re: Ha!

May 16, 2018, 5:41 PM

I've never encountered an issue in downtown Atlanta either, of course I moved to Memphis after I graduated Clemson and lived there for almost 25 years. That is a place I wouldn't travel after dark...actually, many places I wouldn't trave in the daytime.

Oh, and we aren't "coddled"...much.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ha!

May 17, 2018, 12:45 PM

All in good fun, Memphis Tiger®

That area is definitely suspect...just because I personally am comfortable walking along my neighborhood block at night (MLK/Memorial/Capitol Ave) doesn't mean that it's safe for everybody.

I'm a big time Atlanta history junkie, and I do like to see some of the old, decaying/re-purposed buildings around this area stay intact instead of getting leveled for new, corporate-cookie cutter apartment complexes that belong in Buckhead. Over the course of a year, my building is now flanked by them on all sides!

I've actually never even been to Memphis, but I've heard about the good and the bad. What do you think? Pros/cons compared to ATL?

May 16, 2018, 6:30 PM

I think that the Battery is a good addition but with these future phases they need to add something like a varsity or some other quick service restaurants outside of all the sit-down places.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree

May 17, 2018, 12:31 PM

Even an hour before gametime there was an hour wait for a table at all of the restaurants. A Varsity or a Chick Fil A would be a great idea

May 16, 2018, 8:33 PM

I enjoyed reading your thoughts. I would go to games in highschool at Turner field (a few years ago, I'm a senior at Clemson now) with friends and we'd always just get general admission.

I agree with you that I wish it was still in the city limits with the Atlanta skyline in the background but other than that I've really enjoyed the new stadium.

I was hesitant at first but most of it makes sense. I like how it's essentially a smaller version of Turner field, the games are rarely sold out anyway so might as well make a better use of the space and get all the fans closer to the action. All those similarities remind me of Turner field and kinda make it seem like a continuation of it.

As for the chophouse, that's pretty silly. I won't be going there to watch any nba games, I've always enjoyed getting food and taking it back to the seats. And the first base path in left field that could be ran will be missed.

The battery is awesome, and if work allows you can beat traffic and get there early to grab a bite outside the stadium, sometimes they'll do pregame concerts as well.

I understand where you're coming from but I've enjoyed some of the changes during the few games I've been to. If we could just move it back to the city and add the skyfield, to me it'd be ideal.

Good post, thanks for sharing

May 17, 2018, 12:35 PM

I'm just resistant to change at times ;)

I think I would embrace the changes in the stadium more if the new geographic location wasn't so extreme. The battery is awesome so yeah, I'll get over it eventually!

The game of baseball is changing, and I think the league and owners are trying to figure out how to keep up with the ever-growing popularity of football and the NBA. I think they are grasping at ways to make the game seem more lively for the casual fan

I'll see you out there at some point, happy Thursday CU12!

May 16, 2018, 8:52 PM

If you're disappointed in the new facility, just remember this is Atlanta. Only 19 years til they tear this one down and build something else.

Ha!

May 17, 2018, 12:37 PM

Maybe in 20 years, football will have been abolished and the Braves can move into a brand spankin new "Mercedes-Benz/Home Depot/SunTrust/State Farm Arena/Park/Field" at the site of the "old" Mercedes Benz Stadium

Thanks for the post....

May 16, 2018, 10:30 PM

I slightly disagree about SunTrust Park(Never been inside the ChopHouse restaurant and sorry you had a miserable experience).
It is a very beautiful stadium with sweet amenities around the complex(A.K.A The Battery).

However conversating with UBER/Lyft driver(s). I did say that they could have built all of this stuff anywhere else in ATL. One driver insisted the area near the World Congress center(I think across from where the Georgia Dome once stood) I mean because Atlanta, in itself, is one BIG A$$ city!! I told a friend of mine, whose company is based out of ATL, that it is basically another country!!!!!..

Was initially sad seeing the braves leave Turner Field(never seen a game there, heck not even the 'ol launching pad) especially not only being there 20 years. But there was also a lot of crime and suspicious activity going on and ATL police didn't want to keep dealing with it...

#Chop City....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good post, thanks for the response!

May 17, 2018, 12:40 PM

Perhaps I didn't brag enough on the new amenities at SunTrust...very, very nice and the Battery is Awesome.

I do agree that there could have been at least a dozen better locations, but the they seemed adamant about being closer to the northern suburbs to attract the season ticket holders...makes sense I guess, but it sucks. That area you are referencing (Vine City) would be perfect, although I hear there are plans for major development in the upcoming years to go along with Mercedes Benz Stadium

#ChopOn

May 16, 2018, 10:39 PM

isn't Sun Trust Park a Korean golfer ?

May 17, 2018, 12:40 PM

Haha, good one! ;)

Replies: 25
| visibility 1