Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thought ABC was 100% in the tank for SYR
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Thought ABC was 100% in the tank for SYR

Sep 15, 2019, 2:38 AM

Even though he's good - I don't know why Sean McDonough (SYR grad) was doing play-by-play in Saturday's game. A color analyst is one thing, but the play-by-play dude should not have a hint of possible bias. Not even saying Sean Mc WAS biased or showed it - just should avoid the "look" of it - - especially since they included an entire video piece on his receiving Cuse's "highest honor."

But aside from the Sean thing - the game was interrupted while we had feature after feature on one great SYR person or the other. Holy cow - we had PLAYS MISSED altogether or talked over by constant features on SYR alums/folks. It was like - "Honor SYR night" throughout. No, I don't have a beef with the 103 year old SYR WWII vet who passed away. Maybe though, include a mention of CU's own 103 year old war hero Ben Skardon. Would have been nice to have the parallel.

But the worst was the pregame promo that talked about SYR as "world beaters" or giant slayers. Look, we've had a couple of close games including a close loss 2 years ago - but this over-hyped bit about Cuse being some long-time thorn in CU's side is just fabrication. Other than the Gator Bowl beatdown in the '90s (before Cuse joined the ACC) - how big a problem have they been for us? In that promo, the announcer even speaks in 1st person - saying "We...." It was egregious, and THAT was the lead-in to the game. Like - "WE'RE going to whip the big bad defending champs." Where is the objectivity in that?

No features on anything good about Clemson (if we HAVE to have features at all). The only thing about CU or CU's past were clips showing Lawrence or KB getting knocked out of the game by those tough, giant-killing Orangemen.

I thought when they figured they could get away with it - Cuse played dirty - not just this year but the past 2 or 3. And the non-stop HOLDING. They finally called 1 or 2 when it no longer mattered, but SYR was holding on nearly every play. And not just "iffy" holding - - many times outright take-downs.

Well, I'm glad we settled it with a "whuppin'." That's what they get for losing their minds and making us their HOMECOMING - and in mid-Sept no less. Who the heck designates Sept 14 as the date for HOMECOMING? I noticed the big homecoming sellout crowd thinned pretty quickly by the start of the 4th.

There are a few teams I really dislike. Cuse has become one of my top 3 or 4 "least favorites." Like they care.... Just saying, though.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thought ABC was 100% in the tank for SYR

Sep 15, 2019, 2:44 AM

Might as well. He was already in town for that alumni award thingy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Wow...

Sep 15, 2019, 2:53 AM

Whine much?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wow...

Sep 15, 2019, 3:44 AM

Much. A world-renowned whiner.

For gameday

Sep 15, 2019, 3:05 AM

They do a little more to feature the home team usually.

And pregame they may have been trying to convince viewers Cuse had a shot.

I wasn’t bothered by any of it.

Re: For gameday

Sep 15, 2019, 7:25 AM

TV coverage always covers the home school and it’s stories. Been that way a long time. No problem. Our story was written when they showed the half empty stadium in the 3rd quarter!!

Sep 15, 2019, 5:36 AM

They were holding pretty much all game. It was comical how flagrant it was.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Totally agree. Production was in the tank for Cuse.***

Sep 15, 2019, 7:32 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 15, 2019, 7:33 AM

100% agree
Thought at times I was watching SEC network
Holding calls - no calls could, should have been
called many plays
Now we know how the game ends watch the replay
at how the Refs let TL get abused with all the
no calls.
They did flag 1 play but picked it up waved it off
only to say OL down field

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 15, 2019, 7:48 AM

Sean McDonough's calling of the game was the most bias performance I have ever heard.

Sep 15, 2019, 7:54 AM

So let's see here...Syracuse had themselves a Syracuse alum up in the booth because he was already getting himself an award that week.

Whereas Clemson had themselves the dad of not one but two Clemson football players in the booth alongside him.

I'd say it kind of evened out.

Don't disagree but if you've noticed, Herbie this year

Sep 15, 2019, 8:29 AM

goes out of his way to be more critical of Clemson than he ever was before in order to show he is not biased.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 15, 2019, 7:56 AM

Well they usually do more features on the Home team not the visiting team. Doesn't bother me. I feel like Clemson gets their share of stories.

Sep 15, 2019, 8:37 AM

That’s fine for them to do features on the Homecoming team BUT having the camera on Maria for 5 minutes while the game is being played was NOT.
There should’ve at least been a split screen so viewers didn’t have to miss portions of the game.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 15, 2019, 8:29 AM

Oh good gosh. If you watched the game you knew exactly why he was there so give it a rest. Sean McDonough is one of the most professional and respectful broadcasters in the business. A good chunk of the on air ESPN talent came through Syracuse. I think it was great he got to call the game. So what if he wanted his school to play well, it wasn’t like he was bashing Clemson. ESPN shows Clemson in the same way when the prime time ABC game comes to town (not like the prime time game goes to Syracuse much). I’m curious if you’ll feel the same way when Roy Philpott gets to call a Clemson game. Can we please stop looking for things to whine about in the midst of the greatest era in Clemson history?

I prefer McDonough to Fowler,

Sep 15, 2019, 8:35 AM

But, both are fine to me. It's the American Broadcasting Network, not the Clemson Football Channel. Sean was more than fair during last year's game with 'Cuse...same this season. And, yet, Herbie's probably sensitive to most anything positive he has to say about Clemson, under the circumstances. My only criticism is when the cameras were in the stands, not on the field.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The game might have been sold out

Sep 15, 2019, 8:39 AM

but there were plenty of empty seats.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Sep 15, 2019, 8:51 AM

McDonough is probably my favorite commentator. Kirk is a close second. Disappointed to learn last year that McDonough is a Syracuse grad, haha. However, nothing from the broadcast bothered me except (as mentioned above) when they stayed on Maria while the game was going. I actually thought the piece about all of the broadcasters that are alumni was fascinating.

As others have mentioned... TV always does features

Sep 15, 2019, 8:52 AM

for the home team - a way of highlighting a particular school's campus and other things. I have no issues with the way they did this with Syracuse. Broadcasters do this all the time highlighting Clemson at our home games. Having said that, Maria Taylor's two interviews during the game were poorly managed by the network. Those interviews should have happened during a timeout on the field to keep from interrupting the flow of the game for the TV viewers. Ultimately I found that her interviews were worthless as I was paying attention to what was happening on the field and not to what was being said.

As for Sean McDonough - I have no issues with his calling of the game. Did he want Syracuse to win? As a Syracuse alumnus I'm quite sure he did but I found his call of the game to be professional and within the standards one expects when watching a game. In fact, I think McDonough is one of the better play by play guys in the industry and enjoy listening to his broadcasts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

41-6

Sep 15, 2019, 9:23 AM

A WIN!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 15, 2019, 10:10 AM

If you hate listening to him call a Syracuse football game, try listening to him call a Syracuse basketball game.

Old Big East fans have been calling him "Cuse McDonough" for decades.

And it's not just the on-air people at ESPN. The behind the scenes production people are full of Syracuse alums. All that media help and they still suck.

Sep 15, 2019, 11:13 AM

I had a problem with all the interviews while the game was going on. They should have done the split screen commercial and live at the field for interviews. Other that I don't care how biased the announcers are. You are going to pull for your team no matter what. As long as we get the W they have all the Syracuse love they want.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic