Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
There’s too much bias in CFB to have such a ridiculous playoff system
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 63
| visibility 1

There’s too much bias in CFB to have such a ridiculous playoff system

Oct 17, 2019, 2:49 PM

where you are hand picking 4 teams out of 130.

A legitimate playoff system where at least all division winners make it in would stop all the strength of schedule and eye test non sense.

It would all work itself out on the field.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sure and 18 game schedule would do wonders for the athletes ***

Oct 17, 2019, 2:51 PM

But you're OK with the FCS playoff?

Oct 18, 2019, 5:10 PM

Or maybe not - not implying you're for that either. They play 16-17 games are many are as good as D-1 athletes.

I don't understand the argument against a D-1 playoff when it's been successful 1 step down.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

yes, yes I am ok with it being different

Oct 18, 2019, 5:16 PM

100% willing to get t-shirts that say so.

^^^^^ This - never understood the argument against it when

Oct 19, 2019, 11:04 AM [ in reply to But you're OK with the FCS playoff? ]

it's the NORM for other division of football.

Don't have to play a 12 game regular season either. play 10 or 11 and let the next games be the playoff.

it would be easy to sort something else out.

null

Re: There’s too much bias in CFB too have such a ridiculous playoff system

Oct 17, 2019, 2:51 PM

Yeah, and in December when we are 13 & 0, after going 15-0.... we will have 28 reasons not counting the OTHER 28 reasons made in January.

Not worried, work to win the next game in front of you and things will take care of themselves.

In fairness, at the end so the day...

Oct 17, 2019, 3:07 PM

there are rarely more than four teams that have a legitimate argument to play for a national championship.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

that's a solely subjective opinion. All you have to do

Oct 17, 2019, 6:37 PM

is look at the history of 1-AA playoffs to see teams with 2 or even more losses can get hot and win it all. There is no way to say team 5 is not good enough to win it all. I think the system will soon move to 8. Team 9 will have much less of a case than team 5, and 4 is not enough. I don't want to devalue the regular season, but 4 out of 130 is an extremely disproportionate number, especially when compared to basically every other sports playoff system known to mankind. Every other system shows loud and clear that teams who are not the most expected to win championships can win championships. The first four ranked teams should be rewarded with home games. If team 5-8 can win a road game, which is not beyond the realm of belief, than they deserve a shot at the trophy. I feel sure it would happen, based on 1-AA data. Simply put, 4 of 130 is not in line with ANY major sporting competition that I know of, and quite often teams outside a subjective top 4 advance in the top 4.

Re: that's a solely subjective opinion. All you have to do***

Oct 18, 2019, 2:00 PM

Regular season matters....

Oct 18, 2019, 2:04 PM [ in reply to that's a solely subjective opinion. All you have to do ]

The reason team 5 gets left out is because they couldn’t get it done.
Perhaps having one sport that doesn’t have teams get in with a bunch of losses and then ‘get hot’ is a good thing.
And only having 4 out of 130 playing for a championship actually rewards those 4, who earned it through regular season dominance.

Re: There’s too much bias in CFB to have such a ridiculous playoff system

Oct 17, 2019, 3:07 PM

In my experience, the committee typically picks 4 out of 5 or 6 at the most.

Honestly in a couple of years the committee has had to pick 4 out of 2 or 3 because they aren't enough good teams to fill out the 4 spots.

Should be 6 teams ... 5 conference champs and

Oct 17, 2019, 3:21 PM

highest ranked Group of 5 team.

No "at large" BS to stuff extra SEC teams in.

This makes the regular season the first phase of playoffs.

Some sort of BCS computer system to determine #1 and #2 for the first round byes.

Easy Peasy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Should be 6 teams ... 5 conference champs and

Oct 17, 2019, 4:02 PM

No computers. Why do people think we need all these metrics to tell us who is best?

At large teams could be determined strictly by record. In the P5 you would have 8 division winners and a 9th conference champion from the Big 12.

The 7 non champions with the best record make it as wild card teams. What an awesome December that would be.

Oct 18, 2019, 4:51 PM

Of the teams ranked 9-16 in the final poll of the regular season last year, one team had 2 losses, 6 had 3 losses, and one team had 4 losses. Who on earth wants to see an 8-4 team play for the right to win a NC?

This idea might be interesting during the actual playoff if you can ignore half the field being made up of average teams, but it would kill the excitement of the regular season. Why would a team like Clemson even bother scheduling a tough OOC game if all they have to do is win the Atlantic in order to make the playoff? Why risk injury in a tough game that would mean absolutely nothing? Even if teams did schedule tough OOC games, why would the fans give a crap since it would make no difference in making the playoffs? You can argue it being about seeding, but that's not enough to drive the excitement, at least not compared to how it is now knowing that winning that game could be the difference in being in vs. being out.

That's not to mention, what happens when a team cliches their division with a game or two remaining in the season? Do they start resting players in that case?

I'd also bet you'd see the number of juniors and seniors sitting out the rest of the season go way up once they were out of contention for winning their division since the regular bowl games would mean way less than they already do now.

That's not even to mention asking the unpaid college players to put their bodies at even more risk by playing additional games. I'd venture to guess that the regular season schedule would need to move down to 10 or 11 games. How do the schools make up that lost income from the home games they'd lose? This would be another reason you'd see less meaningful OOC games because teams would be less likely to want to schedule home and home games with less home games available to them. You'd also be taking away at least one home game for the fans to attend.

Oct 18, 2019, 5:27 PM

Of the teams ranked 9-16 in the final poll of the regular season last year, one team had 2 losses, 6 had 3 losses, and one team had 4 losses. Who on earth wants to see an 8-4 team play for the right to win a NC?

I guess the same people that enjoyed watching the 10-6 Giants get hot and go through the playoffs beating an undefeated Patriots team for the Super Bowl. Cinderella stories are one of things people love about sports. They don't happen in CFB.

This idea might be interesting during the actual playoff if you can ignore half the field being made up of average teams, but it would kill the excitement of the regular season. Why would a team like Clemson even bother scheduling a tough OOC game if all they have to do is win the Atlantic in order to make the playoff? Why risk injury in a tough game that would mean absolutely nothing? Even if teams did schedule tough OOC games, why would the fans give a crap since it would make no difference in making the playoffs? You can argue it being about seeding, but that's not enough to drive the excitement, at least not compared to how it is now knowing that winning that game could be the difference in being in vs. being out.

That's not to mention, what happens when a team cliches their division with a game or two remaining in the season? Do they start resting players in that case?

I'd also bet you'd see the number of juniors and seniors sitting out the rest of the season go way up once they were out of contention for winning their division since the regular bowl games would mean way less than they already do now.

That's not even to mention asking the unpaid college players to put their bodies at even more risk by playing additional games. I'd venture to guess that the regular season schedule would need to move down to 10 or 11 games. How do the schools make up that lost income from the home games they'd lose? This would be another reason you'd see less meaningful OOC games because teams would be less likely to want to schedule home and home games with less home games available to them. You'd also be taking away at least one home game for the fans to attend.

There's a simple solution for all of this....shorten the regular season by getting rid of the cupcake games. You play everyone in your division and fill the rest of the schedule with OOC games against P5 teams only and award division winners by overall record just like the NFL does. So you would see more OOC matchups during the season that mattered and better matchups in the playoffs. Every sport pretty much uses this model BUT college football.

Oct 19, 2019, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Should be 6 teams ... 5 conference champs and ]

No byes...too much of an advantage in football.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Any playoff definitely needs to at least include all

Oct 17, 2019, 3:23 PM

power 5 conference champs, then could throw in the next highest ranked team to get 6. Anything else will be based on subjective opinion instead of on the field achievement. All polls, selection committees, etc., rely on highly subjective opinion rather than earning the right by clear-cut rules.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

God no. Pitt and Northwestern in the playoff last year?

Oct 17, 2019, 3:24 PM

Who wants to watch that?

It's better than picking two.***

Oct 17, 2019, 3:26 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s because you don’t understand the goal of the CFP.

Oct 17, 2019, 3:28 PM

It was created to increase interest in college football by creating controversy and discussion. This is all about increasing the number of people watching college football and increasing revenue to the P5 conferences. The most watched college football game on any Saturday is about 1/4 of the viewers of a NFL game on Sunday.

I think it's far less controversial than the BCS

Oct 17, 2019, 3:32 PM

but the CFP is more marketable and allows for a weekly reveal show followed by interviews with the committee chairman.

Re: That’s because you don’t understand the goal of the CFP.

Oct 17, 2019, 4:04 PM [ in reply to That’s because you don’t understand the goal of the CFP. ]

Has it created interest?

You telling me the great matchups and games a 16 team playoff would bring wouldn’t create interest?

Oct 17, 2019, 5:11 PM

They didn’t go to a 16 team playoff right away because it would have killed all the bowls and the PAC12 and B1G weren’t going to do anything to hurt the Rose Bowl. When they expand the playoffs to 8 you’ll see a continued decline in the bowls.

Yes, there h interest in college football.

Bullcrap. The goal was to make $$$.

Oct 18, 2019, 5:12 PM [ in reply to That’s because you don’t understand the goal of the CFP. ]

Don't kid yourself into believing anything else.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Oct 19, 2019, 11:17 AM [ in reply to That’s because you don’t understand the goal of the CFP. ]

Is it that because the nfl limits what you can watch. When the falcons play, there is NO other game on in my market.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also, the playoff committee has done a good job so far

Oct 17, 2019, 3:30 PM

The biggest "controversy" in the 5 year history of the CFP was including Ohio State over Baylor and TCU in 2014, but they made the right call and even a change to include all conference champs would not have fixed that particular issue.

Personally I don't think they always get the seeding correct in terms of who draws the tougher games, but that's to be expected when you base the seeding on achievement. On paper Michigan State definitely "deserved" to be the #3 seed in 2015, but i think it was clear to most people with eyes that Oklahoma was a better and more dangerous football team.

They have, but it's still subjective opinion. The voters

Oct 17, 2019, 3:44 PM

are subject to bias and media influence, no matter how objective they try to be. Watch football on ESPN all season long, and the message is relentless. Committee members hear it just like everybody else, and are not immune.

There is absolutely no reason, aside from money/entertainment (possibly), to not have it settled entirely on the field. It could very easily be done. All objections and excuses are lame.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I'm with you - there is no "definitely deserved" when

Oct 17, 2019, 6:42 PM

narrowing it down to subjective "eye tests", media bias, and differing styles of play.

Did you think this through

Oct 17, 2019, 3:44 PM

or post it as soon as it came out of your butt? I'm guessing the latter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Oct 17, 2019, 3:47 PM

Man , do you know anything about football?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There’s too much bias in CFB

Oct 17, 2019, 3:50 PM

1. They've gotten it right every year.
2. No one left out deserved to be in.

System works pretty good.

Re: There’s too much bias in CFB

Oct 17, 2019, 4:06 PM

Yet no other sport considers using anything close to it.

College football is slowly progressing towards what every other sport has been using for a century to determine its champion.

Oct 18, 2019, 4:36 PM

What other sport has 130 teams? Even with your idea of divisions, you're still not where other sports are. In the NFL if you happen to have the best team in football in your division then you've still got 2 wild card spots to play for with the other 11 or 12 teams in your conference that didn't win their division. Your idea in theory could have an 11-1 team left out while a team like Pitt from last year would make it in with a 7-5 record. Also, what's the point of allowing division winners in? Would you be doing away with conference championship games? If you aren't doing away with them, then what's the point of letting in the team that lost?

Oct 18, 2019, 5:32 PM

Having 130 teams vying for 1 national championship is stupid. Especially when you consider the fact that only a handful of those teams have a realistic shot of winning it.

An 11-1 team would make the playoff as an at large team.

Name one sport besides CFB that doesn't send all division winners to a playoff....

Why would we want CFB to be like "every other sport?"

Oct 18, 2019, 4:42 PM [ in reply to Re: There’s too much bias in CFB ]

College football does a *better* job than the other sports of making sure that the best team wins the championship. You're telling me that if last year's Pitt team got hot in December and ended up 11-5, they'd deserve to be national champions? Garbage.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why would we want CFB to be like "every other sport?"

Oct 18, 2019, 5:39 PM

Amazing that nobody else is looking to implement CFB's system.

Because more games = more money

Oct 19, 2019, 9:22 AM

not because their playoff system maintains the purity of the game and makes sure the best team wins the title.

And now you want money to take college football and expand until regular season OOC games mean absolutely nothing. Why would we ever schedule TAMU, Auburn, UGA, OU...anyone other than Wofford, The Citadel and Furman every year and have a de facto preseason before getting into conference play if winning your division gets you into the playoff?

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Because more games = more money

Oct 19, 2019, 11:06 AM

You think choosing who gets to play for a national title by having a bunch of people argue about it in a room is maintaining the "purity" of the game?

There's something that these metrics don't measure, and that is something called heart. Going out on the field as an underdog and wanting it more than the other team. That is what the game is about. Not being the best team on paper.

I've said multiple times that in a system that awards division winners by overall record the regular season OOC schedule would not be meaningless. If you dropped these cupcake games and made teams play a schedule made up of entirely P5 teams the regular season would be enhanced.

LMAO you just dig deeper and deeper...

Oct 19, 2019, 11:16 AM

NOW, you want to award *division titles* based on *overall record* in a sport where your main argument is that teams play such *disparate schedules* that we can't determine the four best teams after 13 games each. To correct this you want to *mandate* everyone play *P5* teams only. So now everyone rushes to schedule Vanderbilt, Rutgers, Kansas and Illinois....

It's very fortunate that you're just a message board troll and don't have any actual ability to enact this ridiculous idea.

Re: LMAO you just dig deeper and deeper...

Oct 19, 2019, 11:23 AM

It's hilarious that you idiots can't grasp the fact that no other sport even has this discussion...they just simply have a playoff. There is a reason CFB's system keeps getting tweaked and nobody else's does. It's because it's retarded. We are slowly working towards what every other sport has used forever.

A postseason system that awards division champs will increase parity and make for a better product. Right now only a handful of schools have a shot at big time recruits because they are the only ones playing for national titles. But of course your mindset is as long as Clemson is ok who cares about increasing parity.

The NCAA could make the schedules instead of schools choosing who they play which is something else that's stupid.

Oct 19, 2019, 11:29 AM

No, it’s actually hilarious that you’re such an idiot that you can’t grasp that college football isn’t set up like any other sport, meaning it can’t be run like any other sport. What you’re pitching just would not work. Period.

Oct 19, 2019, 12:01 PM

It’s different because of the asinine system in place.

It will one day get to a legitimate playoff and I guess then you can ##### about it.

No, other sports just have wild card teams

Oct 19, 2019, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Re: LMAO you just dig deeper and deeper... ]

go 9-7 in the regular season and then get hot at the right time and win the "championship."

You don't have to be the best team all year, you just have to be decent and you get a shot. You think that's better, we get it. We don't.

Oct 19, 2019, 11:23 AM [ in reply to LMAO you just dig deeper and deeper... ]

you do realize, your statements 1 and 2 are

Oct 17, 2019, 6:44 PM [ in reply to There’s too much bias in CFB ]

wholly subjective statements, right?

I’m sorry that you’re so slow Kirby but the CFB playoff started back in August

Oct 17, 2019, 4:32 PM

Don’t whine when underperforming in the regular season keeps you out of a 4 team playoff. You only have yourself to blame. HTH

what makes 1-A football different than 1-AA and

Oct 17, 2019, 6:46 PM

every other sport?

Higher standards

Oct 18, 2019, 4:51 AM

Re: Higher standards

Oct 18, 2019, 5:33 PM

I don't think you understood his question.

I don’t think you understand CFB or you wouldn’t question my reply***

Oct 19, 2019, 9:26 AM

Oct 17, 2019, 5:17 PM

just go to a 8 team playoff & we end a lot of this & it also gives teams like Boise & SMU a chance at a spot in the top 8, who doesn't like the movie Hoosiers? this would give way more schools a shot at making the playoff instead of the way it is now, where it's impossible for a non-Power 5 school to make the final 4, the Best Boise could hope for if they run the table is a Cotton Bowl invite

CFP should be reduced from four to one***

Oct 17, 2019, 5:32 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2019, 6:03 PM

Would never work.

Crappy divisions equal crappy division champs. Give me all the conference champions from the P5 plus one at large based on current criteria. Everybody else gets left out. Boo hoo.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They're not handpicking 4 out of 130. Most of the picking

Oct 17, 2019, 6:05 PM

is done on the field.

They're picking 4 out of about 6 or so.

Clemson fans who want to expand the playoffs.......

Oct 18, 2019, 7:56 AM

.....are very clearly TV fans who do not go to the games. The cost of the playoffs to the fans who support the major programs in college football, you know the ones who buy the tickets, is pretty darn high for a 4 team playoff. If it goes to 8, that extra game is going to be a real surcharge placed on the big payers for college football, you know the fans who buy the tickets, just to appease the tv fans and the tv networks.

Additionally Clemson fans, tv or ticket buying, who have enjoyed 2 titles out of the last 3 match ups gotta be a bit crazy to want to change anything.

I've talked about the ticket buying fans a lot. If and when the playoff goes to 8 teams, I do hope all the games are only broadcast on closed circuit with a very hefty charge ($250)/game so the TV fans can pay their fair share of the cost. A fan of any of the 8 teams who does buy a ticket to any one of the games should be able to watch all the games on closed circuit at no added cost. Maybe the teams playing could show the games in their home stadium and fans who cannot travel can watch the games there.

Yea, I'm pissed at broadcast tv and the self appointed talking head gurus who keep pounding the table for a bigger playoff. 4 is fine. Earn your way in or stay home.

As for the playoff committee not being fair, we let 12 average citizens decide life or death in murder cases. We ought to be able to let 15 people choose the playoff teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This just destroyed all other opinions. Game over.***

Oct 18, 2019, 1:10 PM

Re: Clemson fans who want to expand the playoffs.......

Oct 18, 2019, 5:35 PM [ in reply to Clemson fans who want to expand the playoffs....... ]

So basically you don't want to see common sense happen because it will hurt your wallet and because your team just happens to be winning in the current system.....

Of all the asinine ideas for expanding the playoff,

Oct 19, 2019, 11:19 AM

yours is the FURTHEST from "common sense" I've ever seen.

Re: Of all the asinine ideas for expanding the playoff,

Oct 19, 2019, 11:24 AM

And yet again, everybody else uses something pretty close to it.

"Be like everyone else!"***

Oct 19, 2019, 11:50 AM

It's not common sense. And hibernate for 20 years.

Oct 19, 2019, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson fans who want to expand the playoffs....... ]

Then come back and approach these topics.

LOL, it's a MONEY problem***

Oct 18, 2019, 4:59 PM

Seems to have worked out OK for little ole Clemson***

Oct 19, 2019, 10:53 AM

Oct 19, 2019, 11:40 AM

Which year of the CFP did the best team not win the title?

Replies: 63
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic