Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
There's One Great Game I'll Never Forget
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

There's One Great Game I'll Never Forget

Dec 11, 2018, 9:36 PM

Sure, there are plenty of great ones - even fantastic ones, and it's like splitting hairs to rank one over another.

But - for me, one is practically etched on my brain: the 1981 UGA @ CU game! That was just utterly amazing.

Defending National Champ Georgia rolled into a packed DV ranked #4 with Herschel Walker.

Normally, I wouldn't go for a defensive battle, but this one was EPIC. We held Herschel out of the endzone (as usual) AND the entire UGA team (except for one lone field goal). The final was 13-3, CU, and that early season win propelled the Tigers to the National Championship & a 12 & 0 season.

I guess it all started in the final game of 1980 vs SCAR & "Heisman Winner to be" George Rogers. CU was 5 & 5 going into that one, & predicted to lose BIG hosting SC that day. Instead, we crushed the Gamecoots & again - no TD for senior G.Rogers (and 1st time ever with the orange pants).

Back to the '81 CU/GA game - DV was as packed as I've ever seen - and LOUD! Man, I think the crowd was on its feet all 4 quarters.

I can tell ya - Herschel found out that day what it was like to be REALLY hit! For a few plays early on, Walker looked unstoppable. Then, he got stood up by a locomotive! Pretty sure it was CU LB Danny Triplett who delivered a blow that clearly stunned Herschel. He was never the same that whole game. From that point on, it was CU's to lose!

Not a single person left the stadium & fans were hugging each other & going crazy all gamelong & after.

The year before @ UGA, we almost beat 'em then. We were looking bad in the 1st QRT & came back, took the lead, but couldn't hold it in a close one - 20-16, UGA.

That next game with the Dawgs in '81 - an unbelievable classic!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There's One Great Game I'll Never Forget

Dec 11, 2018, 9:45 PM

I saw old men wearing red blazers, crying after that game.

Dec 11, 2018, 9:46 PM

Yes great one there but the most recent Notre Dame game in the rain is one of the greatest, ever! The weather, it signaled our arrival, and I really liked Boulware, Dodd, Lawson, and that whole crew.

That was a stud front 7! Underrated,
appreciated, but not enough imo.

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2018, 10:00 PM

Iron4044 - you're right about the Monsoon in the Valley game with N.Dame. But wow - I just about suffered the "big one" - that game was so intense.

All 3 of our games with ND have been good, tough games. Even the one we lost in '77 to Montana was fun most of the game - until Montana brought 'em back & squeaked out a win (21-17).

Got 'em back at THEIR house, though, in '79 (16-10). Great game for the Tigers.

Dec 11, 2018, 10:10 PM

Remember every single one. I remember crying like a baby all the way home in that 77 loss.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2018, 8:07 AM [ in reply to Re: There's One Great Game I'll Never Forget ]

ND game maybe mine. 54 at the time. Standing in the pouring down rain. Acting like a college kid again. Greeeeeat game!!!!

Dec 11, 2018, 9:47 PM

on a wall in my office is a large framed photo of william perry and danny triplett putting the wood to one herschel walker.it may very well be the hit you mentioned.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Dec 11, 2018, 10:08 PM

Hoosick - it might have been the hit. I just know Walker was in shock & we were slamming them all day. Was there ever anything better than a freshman William Perry at age 18? That man @ that time was a work of art!

Dec 11, 2018, 10:06 PM

I totally agree with you on that one. Only regular season game uga lost. They had a great defense. When you look at the teams we beat that year, wow. But that game- not sure how any of them boys were able to play the next week. There were some pads clanking that day but you couldn’t hear it.

Was on the hill and you’re right, no one sat the whole game. Couldn’t talk or walk for a week after that game from jumping up and down. The loudest I’ve ever heard DV from 1st snap to the last snap- non stop. Thanks for posting, brought tears just reminiscing!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2018, 10:19 PM

Kerigan - glad you were there to witness it. Like I said, it's etched upon my mind. I don't think I could talk for a week after that game - totally blew my voice out. Our D that year was a thoroughbred. And the offense with that line, "Homer," the backs & Tuttle was pretty dang top-drawer too!

Dec 11, 2018, 10:13 PM

I was there and it was indeed an all time great! I will never forget the feeling of that win!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That game was nuts...5 Belue interceptions and 4 fumbles

Dec 11, 2018, 10:19 PM

When's the last time ANY defense forced NINE turnovers in a game? Just crazy.

Re: That game was nuts...5 Belue interceptions and 4 fumbles

Dec 11, 2018, 10:29 PM

Hey 'Son - that was REAL MEN football that day, & the Tigers were not gonna be denied! I remember turnovers galore but forgot there were NINE. I do remember V.Dooley looking lost on the sidelines. Like he couldn't believe his eyes.

Dec 11, 2018, 10:50 PM

You got that one right huhud!!!! Wonder how many “target “ penalties would been thrown in them days. lol, both teams would have been down to fourth string.

Dec 11, 2018, 11:09 PM

I was only 15, but i well remember it was one of the loudest games ever. It was certainly the loudest after the game i have ever heard at DV. When we were leaving, wave after wave of roaring cheers went through the fans leaving in the concourses. I have probably been to nearly 200 games in DV and that is the only game in which i have heard that.

The loudest game i have ever heard was Miami in 2005 when the stadium was only 90% or so full. It is the only game in which i covered my ears as i sincerely thought my ear drums would burst. The crowd willed us back in that game in the 4th quarter, but we failed to come through in the end.

Dec 11, 2018, 11:05 PM

OMG - what an entire season. I seldom did the away games that year, and while I remember that UGA game well, that Dang UNC game that year, I did travel, and what a nail biter! I'll never forget that whole season, to include the U5C game the previous year...

Thanks for the memories!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2018, 11:40 PM

Hey Greenwar - I saw the CU/UNC game on TV. Nail biter is right! 2 top 10s facing off - I think the final was 10-8, CU. Then the Orange Bowl vs Nebraska. Another TV game for me. The NBC play-by-play was by Don Criqui, & all they talked about was Nebraska, Tom Osbourne, Outland Trophy winner Dave Rimington & how CU had little chance to win. I believe the tagteam of the Fridge & William Devane took care of Rimington that night. They had Frank Howard on at halftime & maybe before the game too. I remember Coach Howard getting a dig in at Osbourne, saying something like, "Well, that's nice that Coach Osbourne's got that PhD, but I don't think bein' a doctor ever won anybody any football games."

Dec 11, 2018, 11:57 PM

As I recall the huskers were mad they didn't get a better opponent. When they beat us it wouldn't be enough to win them the championship. A brilliant game by the Good Guys.

Dec 12, 2018, 7:47 AM [ in reply to Re: There's One Great Game I'll Never Forget ]

Homer Jordan . Who would have ‘thunk’ it?

Dec 12, 2018, 7:02 AM

Herschel’s only regular season loss.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You don't get control of the game when you're air-balling layups." - Brent Venables

Dec 12, 2018, 7:59 AM

That was my first game ever at DV, in my freshman year. Followed the team all the way to Miami that year!

It's unfair I wasn't alive to see that one.***

Dec 12, 2018, 8:23 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2018, 8:26 AM

I'm sure that is when Dooley hatched the plan to avoid playing us as much as possible just like he always managed to do with Bama

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic