Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
There was another Uncle Bill...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 2,189

There was another Uncle Bill...

Jan 17, 2018, 10:04 PM

.... I never knew... I swear!

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/opinion/columnists/2018/01/17/around-clemson-uncle-bill-legend-heres-why-many-believe-he-deserves-monument/1040571001/

Pretty good story of a life well lived, I’d say.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

And he was one of a kind, like a character on

Jan 17, 2018, 10:15 PM

the Andy Griffith show.

When Clemson was a whole different world.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There was another Uncle Bill...

Jan 17, 2018, 10:51 PM

One of the meeting rooms in the former Clemson House was named in his honor. I have a story about Uncle Bill in my files. I posted the story on one of the Tiger boards several years ago.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2018, 7:32 AM

repost if you can

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A little footnote to the article: the Luke Hamilton

Jan 18, 2018, 6:03 AM

mentioned, who worked for Clemson for many years, and his wife were my "adopted parents," when I was a student in the 60's.

The churches had a program whereby local families would volunteer to become away-from-home families for students, and the Hamiltons were mine.

I had many a meal with them and their two children, David and Lucy, (an older son, Bill, had already graduated from Clemson,) and they hosted several of my dates for football/dance weekends. It was a wonderful program, for the Hamiltons always kept an open house attitude, which I readily enjoyed. David and Lucy were two great kids, both of whom seemed to enjoy my visits, especially when I'd drop by in my cheerleader uniforms prior to games.

Even after leaving Clemson, I kept in touch and was deeply saddened over the years with Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton's deaths. Unfortunately, I haven't seen David and Lucy for many years, but I truly loved them like younger siblings.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2018, 6:35 AM

That’s cool. I bet he had some stories to tell.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2018, 7:31 AM

great article. Thanks for sharing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2018, 11:32 AM

This is the first time I've seen the story by Luke Hamilton. I knew Luke, Ray Dunkelberg and Mary Gray, names that appear in the story. Luke's story covers much of the comments in my story so I'll not post mine. However, since Luke mentioned the "libation" gift, I'll add this tidbit. I was told that many people in Clemson gave Uncle Bill a bottle of booze at Christmas. Someone asked Uncle Bill about the booze and he responded, "it was just right". "What do you mean by just right"? Uncle Bill's response, "if it had been any better they would not have given it to me. If it had been any worse, I couldn't have drunk it".

Uncle Bill was truly a Clemson gentleman, a man who was respected by all who knew him.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 2,189
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic