Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
There is a curse on Clemson basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

There is a curse on Clemson basketball

Feb 17, 2019, 4:22 PM

After winning the Southern Conference in 1939, Clemson turned down a trip to the NCAA basketball tournament because it was going to interfere with spring football practice. I believe that decision put a curse on the program that lasts until this day. We must have a special ceremony to erase the curse and make the basketball gods happy.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There is a curse on Clemson basketball

Feb 17, 2019, 4:28 PM

I was going to suggest the Demon Deacon, who married Mr & Mrs Wuf at NCSU, could also serve as an exorcist. But WFU sports are cursed far worse than anything we can even imagine.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 17, 2019, 4:41 PM

I think we’d need to get someone from Pitt or BC to do an exorcism.

Feb 17, 2019, 4:29 PM

Yeah Cobb, its name is Brownell! We need Amanda coaching this bunch!

Feb 17, 2019, 4:41 PM

IDIOT

Feb 17, 2019, 5:06 PM [ in reply to Re: There is a curse on Clemson basketball ]

Brownell is not a curse or issue with the CU MBB team. The real issue is NCAA tournament experienced
guys not performing up to par or their capability. Missed FTs at Raleigh and by ET yesterday sunk the chance to win. The Miami game was a sleep-walker for several of the lads. Coupled with very poor clock management and shot selection our chances were doomed. And ET must find a way NOT ot pick up an illegal screen/pick move in every game.
Now Brownell and staff have a chance to rectify some bad outcomes as we play 2 or 3 top-tier ACC tams in last 5 games---all at home.
Go TIGERS!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 17, 2019, 4:30 PM

I also think it may have something to do when all 5 starters in the 70s had a new oldsmobile from the same dealer in SC and none were from SC. That didn't help matters!

Message was edited by: saddis56

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 17, 2019, 4:39 PM

A "curse" on Clemson BB? I agree. Poor recruiting, poor coaching, crappy playing will definitely add up to a "curse." Great excuse. I think that there is a witch involved.

you chickenfans wouldn't know anything about curses

Feb 17, 2019, 6:42 PM

exorcisms or witchdoctors---wouldja??

https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2010/11/23/1831879/the-chicken-tradition

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Curse? Clemson basketball has the same issue now as it did

Feb 17, 2019, 4:52 PM

In 1939, lack of internet. Clemson basketball is what Clemson fans makes it, and we put very little in and get very little out.

Re: Curse? Clemson basketball has the same issue now as it did

Feb 17, 2019, 5:08 PM

Bingo

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Wait - there was no internet....

Feb 17, 2019, 5:40 PM [ in reply to Curse? Clemson basketball has the same issue now as it did ]

... in 1939?? ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Haha......... Yeah I saw that after I posted it.

Feb 17, 2019, 6:00 PM

Feb 17, 2019, 6:31 PM

Cobbox said:

After winning the Southern Conference in 1939, Clemson turned down a trip to the NCAA basketball tournament because it was going to interfere with spring football practice. I believe that decision put a curse on the program that lasts until this day. We must have a special ceremony to erase the curse and make the basketball gods happy.

My girlfriend said you can contact Amy from the Dead Files show and get a Reiki Master or Spiritual Medium. If that doesn't work, try an exorcism.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

coots have done all kind of stuff to erase chicken curse

Feb 17, 2019, 7:56 PM

nothing has worked

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: coots have done all kind of stuff to erase chicken curse

Feb 17, 2019, 8:22 PM

the main problem for this BB team is poor free throwing. As for the 70's, at least the fans showed up. With a university of around 10,000, we still put people in the seats. the point of this is that too many people at good ole CU are spoiled and do not know that the home crowd is a factor too. We used to start working players on the other team during warm up. We did not spend the time finding out all the details of the opposition players, like Dookies. We were more basic and we never let up. Still remember David Angel, a 7 foot senior, taking on Tom Burlison, a 7ft, 4inch freshman, one on one from the top of the circle with everyone spread out to the sides. Things like that were all we fans back then needed. And most of the most rabid of us sat in bleachers. Iptay members mostly cheered when the play was over. We still made noise till the end. Something is missing now, and it is not the basketball team.

“Poor free throwing?” We shoot 73% as a team this year.

Feb 17, 2019, 9:29 PM

That is pretty good. In fact, we shoot free throws much better under Brownell than we did under Purnell, Barnes, or Ellis. And it’s not even close.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

Re: coots have done all kind of stuff to erase chicken curse

Feb 18, 2019, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Re: coots have done all kind of stuff to erase chicken curse ]

We have stepped up our game on foul shots and defensive rebounds. What I would like to see is a game where we go for high percentage two's instead of desperation three's. You get more points if you make even a couple of two's than if you miss five three's.

they just need one of those chicken golden horseshoes.***

Feb 17, 2019, 9:49 PM

I don’t believe in “curses” but I definitely believe ...

Feb 17, 2019, 10:40 PM

... that the example you cite it totally indicative of the attitude toward basketball since those days and it was completely reflected in the priorities expressed by Frank Howard as both AD and football coach during the critical formative years at the beginning of the ACC. We dug a huge hole back then through lack of investment in our basketball future. It is what it is now and most of us will not live to see it change in any substantive way. Peace ... ???

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic