Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The selection process for CFP this year will be a disaster
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 2,556

The selection process for CFP this year will be a disaster

Nov 12, 2019, 11:38 PM

So many hypotheticals as of right now and even in the end there could be some tough choices to make that could result in some pretty serious mistakes and snubs.

But in the end if we're in, I'm gonna chalk up the rest as "Not My Problem"

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The selection process for CFP this year will be a disaster

Nov 13, 2019, 12:01 AM

I agree.
And it seems this committee is hedging their rankings every week to allow the schedule to dictate movement in the rankings.

So if it comes down to the last weekend with one open spot and these options: an undefeated Baylor, a one-loss PAC 12 team, and a bunch of one-loss also rans from various conferences; they will be inventing the wheel all over again that weekend, irrespective of all previous rankings.

It's conceivable they could end up leaping a team from #8 to #4 in the final selection.

Their placement of Bama in the initial poll

Nov 13, 2019, 5:11 AM

told me all I needed to know about this Committee.

You see, my Friend, not all committees are alike. Some are good; some are bad. Some have hard-working, conscientious members; some have lazy, clueless members who allow themselves to be bullied by one or two self-appointed know-it-alls.

I'm afraid this year's committee is of the latter sort, for they have already demonstrated a predilection for following media drivel. What I do know is this: they better darn-well get their priorities straight, understanding that the CFP, as it exists, is highly politically charged among the P5's.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well put, sir...

Nov 13, 2019, 7:11 AM

I agree with your conclusion. The initial CFP rankings appeared to mimic the Media narrative. Alabama should NOT have been included, and leaving out the Defending National Champion on a 24-game win streak was beyond the pale. After the initial rankings, I commented that I didn't trust this Committee; now, after last night, I'm even more convinced.

So, last night before the "updated" rankings, I said to myself, "Well, let's see if the Committee attentively listened to ESPN since Saturday..." And, whaddaya know, it did! First, jumping Minnesota from 17 to 8 was a little much, but it's all the talking heads could talk about since the Gophers beat PSU. Never mind that PSU should NEVER have been at #4 to start with. That was also a "creation" of the Committee to follow the Media narrative. Yes, beating PSU was a good victory, but not that good. Second, jumping UGA from 6 to 4 was also uncalled for. Georgia might have won against two pretty good teams, but the lost to South Carolina in what has to be the worst loss of the season thus far. Finally, Baylor now knows how Clemson feels when it drops following a close win. Welcome to reality, Baylor.

This week, I'll just listen to the ESPN narrative and see if the CFP Committee is anything more than a mouthpiece for it on Tuesday. What actually happens in the games will have minimal impact...

Go, Tigers! Crush the Deacs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well put, sir...

Nov 13, 2019, 7:43 AM

Clemson lost to Pitt one year, A not so good Syracuse the next. Our SOS that year and dynamic play kept us in the discussion. Georgia is going to be in the SEC champion game, why are they any different?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the point is that Georgia’s loss is worse

Nov 13, 2019, 8:07 AM

than Bama’s loss or Oregon’s loss. They are somehow getting extra credit for wins over ND and Florida who I personally think are ranked a little too high. Both have 2 losses and had to scratch and claw to avoid a 3rd. Anyway, the committee is clearly trying to make a point about SOS. Also, if I recall correctly the only reason we survived that Pitt loss is because everyone else lost on the same day.

This year little different than some others***

Nov 13, 2019, 7:17 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This year little different than some others***

Nov 13, 2019, 7:17 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2019, 7:23 AM

Thats why there will be 6 or 8 teams soon.

Nov 13, 2019, 8:34 AM

We, as Clemson fans, don't have many problems. If we are only putting our problems on here, does this become a political, job search, or dating web site?

Nov 13, 2019, 9:07 AM

Only Because they insist on making things complicated due to their love of all things SEC. If they stuck to the easily defensible decision to include the four best teams that won their own conference then 90% of the noise happening right now about how to get Georgia or Alabama in the CFP would end. The uncertainly and drama drive ratings though so keeping the waters muddy is to their advantage, especially when it comes time to put their finger on the scale for a second SEC team.

Replies: 10
| visibility 2,556
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic