Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The question isn’t can we win with any QB, rather how far can we go?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

The question isn’t can we win with any QB, rather how far can we go?

Jun 20, 2018, 1:18 AM

Of course Dabo says we can win with any QB. I believe him. But can we win it all with any QB? No. We cannot.

Our path to another National Title is likely tied to a showdown with Bama in the playoffs. KB has his turn and did not play well. That’s be fair, no one knows how any other QB on the roster would’ve performed. And I don’t know if TL is a savior.

What I do believe is KB is exactly what we think he is: a helluva college QB who lacks top end arm talent and decision making to beat a team like Bama. And, if we were still happy just winning ten games, KB is the guy to start.

The real question is whether or not TL(or Chase Brice) is a difference maker. And because it’s June, no one knows. No one.
(Except maybe all the QBs who bailed once TL stepped on campus.!????????????)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The question isn’t can we win with any QB, rather how far can we go?

Jun 20, 2018, 3:44 AM

Clemson had its weakest group of WR’s since 2009 last season and if KB2 would had Mike Williams and Jordan Legget he would have looked like a different QB. The fact is it was a 10-6 game with 7 mins to play with Clemson inside the BAMA 40 and a 1st down, so to say Clemso can’t beat BAMA with KB2 at QB isn’t a fair statement.

This season with the emergence of TH5 and DK10 at WR this unit should be much improved. The fact is Clemson didn’t have a physical presence at WR who could make the 50/50 back shoulder catches, add in the fact we didn’t have a TE who could make plays down the center of the field when teams played a 2 deep safety and our passing games was limited.

I think a lot of fans just don’t give KB2 the credit he deserves, because without him we lose at least 3 more games and I’m sorry but Hunter Johnson wasn’t ready to play last year. I know some fans think our roster is talented enough that any average QB can lead us to 12 wins, but that’s just not true, just look at LSU besides QB their roster is as talented as any team in the country.

The one area on offense this team needs to improve the most is the running game, we can’t have our QB carrying the ball 20 times a game no matter who plays QB. KB2 was our running in too many games and he took a physical beating, and I think you saw it effect his passing late in the season. We need the OL to step up and allows us to be effective running the ball without the QB shouldering most of the load. The next area that needs improvement is TE, we need a TE who can split the safeties when teams run a 2 high safety look, because if we can’t it will limit our downfield passing no matter who plays QB.

Jun 20, 2018, 6:27 AM

I for one am not putting the Bama loss on the shoulders of KB. I give more credit to the Bama defense that came to prove something, and pretty much overwhelmed the OL the entire game with more determination and talent. Cain had a HUGE drop early on that stopped momentum and it was a pass KB put right on the numbers. I personally feel TL is more talented at QB but since we are not on the field during practice, I'm gonna leave the decision in the hands of the professionals, the coaches. I think Dabo learned his lesson with starting experience over talent with the Stoudt/Watson chapter.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bama's defense pretty much overwhelmed our OL in

Jun 20, 2018, 1:30 PM

2016 as well. We got almost nothing out of Gallman and the running game and Watson was under a lot of pressure for most of the game. The difference is that the 2017 team didn't have Watson, Williams, and Leggett.

Jun 20, 2018, 6:30 AM [ in reply to Re: The question isn’t can we win with any QB, rather how far can we go? ]

While I think Kelly receives way too much of the blame (very poor offensive line performance, at least one key dropped pass), I don't know what you are referring to regarding "7 mins to play."

With seven minutes to go in the game, Bama led 24-6, Clemson had the ball at their own 20 after a Bama punt.

With seven minutes to go in the third quarter, the score was 10-6, but Bama had a first down at the Clemson 14, having just gone for it, and making it, on 4th and 1.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2018, 6:42 AM [ in reply to Re: The question isn’t can we win with any QB, rather how far can we go? ]

All of the top college FB guru's believe that we are talented enough across the board to win with our top 3 QB's. Are we, can we, I think so but, the guy that broke DW4's HS records, I believe can be the best QB we have signed to play QB at Clemson. If I were HC, I would put the ball in TL's hands and turn him loose until he proved to me he wasn't the star that I believe him to be!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2018, 8:00 AM [ in reply to Re: The question isn’t can we win with any QB, rather how far can we go? ]

Instead of overthrowing/under throwing some mediocre receivers and making bad reads/tucking the ball and running he could have overthrown/underthrown to some good receivers and made bad reads/tucked the ball and ran. Don't see much difference there

Jun 20, 2018, 11:34 AM

Pretty poor analysis. Try Bentley.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2018, 8:07 AM [ in reply to Re: The question isn’t can we win with any QB, rather how far can we go? ]

Given that defense is obviously the strength of Clemson this year and the schedule is less than challenging…Shouldn’t the goal be to get the team in the best position to win and perform in the ACCCG and playoffs? Why not take your lumps early and break in a new QB so that toward the end of the season he has some real game experience? Take advantage of the schedule to put the team in the best position to win when it matters most.

Jun 20, 2018, 11:28 AM

Given your scenario that we have a relatively easy schedule and you want to break in a young but talented QB, you don't need to do that on an "All-In" basis. The best way is to start KB and let him get some work, then bring in TL to give him game experience. There will be plenty of chances to play TL in tight situations, but we should not play him too much so he has time to absorb lessons derived from playing, gain confidence and is not exposed to as many injury possibilities.

Jun 20, 2018, 12:42 PM

Throwing him into tight situations is not the same as getting into and then working out of tight situations…That is where maturity develops. Injuries are a part of the game and if you play not to get injured then you play to lose. Differing philosophies and both have worked in the past. It should be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Jun 20, 2018, 7:33 AM

Disagree . Think we are good enough as a team to win the National Championship again this year . Whether KB , CB or TL is pulling the trigger I believe we're a top program and our experience in the playoffs helps as well .
Does it mean we'll win it this year ? Of course not , but we could .
Believe in team .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

We can get exactly as far as we got last year

Jun 20, 2018, 8:00 AM

With KB at the helm. The Bama loss wasn't all on him, poor play by the OL and not much receiving help combined with the Bama defense being a force and also being very motivated. It boils down to we need a better passing threat to beat the elite teams that we have to beat to win another title. Now Kelly might have improved his passing over the offseason which is totally possible (it didn't look that way from the spring game but that was 2.5 months ago). It just appears to my untrained eye that TL can make those throws that we were lacking in New Orleans in what would've been a very winnable game.

Jun 20, 2018, 1:15 PM

Johnson, Hlggins and healthy Garrett Williams would have led us to NC. Just a having William may have did it.

It's the SAME question, since we only go as far as we win.***

Jun 20, 2018, 2:18 PM

Jun 20, 2018, 2:22 PM

Christian Wilkins will let us all know who the QB1 is at the right time.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic