Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The next 4 weeks, it's the 50th anniversary of several very
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 990

The next 4 weeks, it's the 50th anniversary of several very

Jul 19, 2019, 9:45 AM

historical events... mid-July to mid-August 1969 had some crazy things going on...

July 18 - Chappaquiddick. Ted Kennedy runs his car off a bridge and a woman drowns in the car. It was late night after a party and he was probably drunk...

July 20 - Apollo 11 moon landing... Neil Armstrong walks on the moon.

August 9 & 10 - The Tate/LaBianca Murders. Charlie Manson and his little crew go nuts. I just read Helter Skelter again a few months ago... for probably the 10th time.

August 15-18 - Woodstock. Enough said.

August 17 - Hurricane Camille. I think it's still the most powerful hurricane to hit the USA, category 5 with gusts estimated between 175 & 200 mph.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

Re: The next 4 weeks, it's the 50th anniversary of several very

Jul 19, 2019, 10:25 AM

Another thing happened 50 years ago in Aug. I started at Clemson in the last Rat Season. Last year that most of Johnstone Hall was not air conditioned. Freshman were not allowed cars on campus. Classes went 5 and one half days a week. The only hand held calculators were slide rules. Brackett Hall was the Chemistry Building. Riggs Field was the intermural field. Fike Field house still had the old basketball floor in with ground under the stands. The only fast food place was Hardee's across from Fike. Ruby Red's was the destination on weekends to go to when one did not go home or to a football game. That winter/spring the Tiger Paw was introduced. Bum lines by Sikes Hall. Harcombe hall not opened on Sundays. (Cannot make the women walk to west campus)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The next 4 weeks, it's the 50th anniversary of several very

Jul 19, 2019, 10:30 AM

You know that Hurricane Michael last year was upgraded to a Cat 5 as well. They know for sure that the winds were at least Cat 5 but every anemometer during Hurricane Michael failed so they do not know exactly how high the winds actually got to. Living in the area I've seen first hand the devastation of Hurricane Michael and people are still living in tents 9 months later. So to say Camille was the most powerful is pushing it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not worth arguing over, and we're kinda splitting hairs...

Jul 19, 2019, 11:51 AM

but Camille has always been recognized as one of (if not the most) powerful hurricane to make landfall in the USA. I didn't just make that up...

Hurricane Camille was the second most intense tropical cyclone on record to strike the United States. Only the 1935 Labor Day hurricane had a lower pressure at landfall.

The wind speed of Camille can only be approximated, as no meteorological equipment survived the extreme conditions at landfall, but Camille is estimated to have had sustained winds of 190 mph at landfall, with gusts exceeding 230 mph.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

Replies: 3
| visibility 990
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic