Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The double amputee in the Olympics is nothing short of
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,632

The double amputee in the Olympics is nothing short of

Aug 6, 2012, 2:11 PM

amazing. But a buddy here at work brought up an interesting point... where do you draw the line with the prosthetics? At what point does that sort of thing become an advantage, and who makes the call on what is allowed?

Imagine if that guy was competing in the 400M freestyle and had flippers that he attached to his legs. Unfair advantage?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and the gates of h3ll flew wide open.***

Aug 6, 2012, 2:23 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I heard some experts talking about it on TV - he was ruled..

Aug 6, 2012, 2:25 PM

eligible because his two artificial legs do nothing to increase his speed and that their weight isn't different enough to make a difference. And on the downside for the runner is he can't feel the track which is actually a negative for him.

The South African runner still has to move his legs the same as a normal-legged runner, etc.

They said an artificial device would be banned if it enabled the person to jump higher or be stronger, for example. They said devices like what the South African runner uses don't make him into a "bionic man" like some people fear - that said artificial devices are almost always a negative for the person.

it can and could be a huge advantage imo.

Aug 6, 2012, 2:25 PM

track will have to regulate how much spring and actual prosthetic leg can have. Plus those muscles that are usually there, he doesn't have them to get tired. Yes, I know its probably difficult to run in those but once you master it, it could be a huge advantage.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are tradeoffs both ways - it will have do be.........

Aug 6, 2012, 2:27 PM

determined on a case by case basis to be sure there's no advantage given.

once someone starts winning with those, you'll see a huge

Aug 6, 2012, 2:29 PM

outrage. Especially the first world record.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I absolutely agree.***

Aug 6, 2012, 3:04 PM [ in reply to it can and could be a huge advantage imo. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

He also doesn't have the muscles there to help propel him***

Aug 6, 2012, 3:45 PM [ in reply to it can and could be a huge advantage imo. ]

Actually, a couple of the athletes he has competed against

Aug 6, 2012, 2:29 PM

have already filed complaints. His prosthetics are basically big springs that weigh a lot less than a human leg. There's little to no potential of a hamstring injury, ankle injury, knee injury, etc. You can't over-train a titanium spring.

Re: Actually, a couple of the athletes he has competed against

Aug 6, 2012, 2:58 PM

so they are complaining about a guy who is a paraplegic that is competing in the Olympic Games. I mean what do they want him to compete in the Special Olympics?

Paralympic Games

Aug 6, 2012, 3:10 PM

The Paralympic Games are a major international multi-sport event where athletes with physical disabilities compete. This includes athletes with mobility disabilities, amputations, blindness, and cerebral palsy. There are Winter and Summer Paralympic Games, which are held immediately following their respective Olympic Games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Actually, a couple of the athletes he has competed against

Aug 6, 2012, 3:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Actually, a couple of the athletes he has competed against ]

How about the Paralympics?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paralympic_Games

You still don't understand

Aug 6, 2012, 4:02 PM

Yes, he's awesome. It's incredible what he's accomplished. BUT, don't let your compassion override your logic. First, you said he doesn't have the muscles to propel him. No, he doesn't. He has springs to do that. Second, there is no way to determine the "correct" spring rate for them. He lost his legs when he was like 5 or something, and there is no way to determine a natural spring rate. They can only guess. So here's my question. Let's assume that these athletes are in the .01% of the gene pool, and also train their butt off to get there. You're telling me that this guy, who just happened to lose his legs and has springs on them is also in the .01%? Get the heck out of here. That's dumb. It's great he's running, but at some point you have to wonder if they help.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,632
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic