Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The "Thinning Of The Herd" Post Of Week-October 28th Edition
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 0
| visibility 1,865

The "Thinning Of The Herd" Post Of Week-October 28th Edition

Oct 28, 2018, 6:53 AM

My weekly reminder that College Football has a way of "thinning the herd"...to help those of you that continue to wallow in wonder of what will happen if more than 4 teams go undefeated (which, by the way, is already officially impossible as only 4 unbeaten remain). From this point forward, I will also focus on the 1 loss teams that have a chance at the CFP as well...a group that is also thinning out very fast as October is poised to turn to November.

Going into last week, we were down to 5 teams that were undefeated as we entered the last week of October. In last week's post, I took a stab that 1 undefeated team would fall on Saturday and I was spot on:
South Florida lost to Houston...putting both teams at 7-1 and 0% chance of making playoffs.

Several 1 loss teams also thinned themselves out of any playoffs hopes:
Texas fell to 6-2 after losing to Oklahoma State
Florida fell to 6-2 after losing to UGA
NC State fell to 6-2 after losing to Syracuse.

We are now down to 4 undefeated teams with title chances (if you grant UCF a chance) and only 8 one-loss teams that have playoff hopes. Only 12 teams total with CFP realistic chances.

Weekend of November 3rd "Thinning Of The Herd":

Guaranteed Thinning Will Take Place:
Georgia (7-1) at Kentucky (7-1)...winner headed to Atlanta, loser out of CFP hopes.
Alabama (8-0) at LSU (7-1)...The other Death Valley should be a great atmosphere.

"Upset Alert”
Central Florida (7-0) hosts Temple (5-3)...Temple is undefeated in American Conference.
West Virginia (6-1) at Texas (6-2)...Longhorns are a tough out in Austin.
Penn State (6-2) at Michigan (7-1)...Wolverines need to find an offense if they want to stay undefeated.
Notre Dame (8-0) at Northwestern (5-3)...Maybe the most "classic" upset set up situation.
Oklahoma (7-1) at Texas Tech (5-3)...Sooners can score, but defense is upset worthy.
California (5-3) at Washington State (7-1)...Will magic carpet ride end for Leach?

Will Keep Winning....For Now
Nebraska (2-6) at Ohio State (7-1)...OSU has issues, but not as many as Nebraska.
Louisville (2-6) at Clemson (8-0)...Last time Clemson will face Bobby Petrino?

Next Saturday will dramatically reshape the playoff landscape, and we are almost guaranteed to have less than 10 teams with a chance to make playoffs. I will step out and say that we will have 5 teams that either lose their 1st game next Saturday or lose their 2nd game and become eliminated from CFP.

Very possible that only 7-8 teams will have CFP hopes after next Saturday night. It is setting up to be the most impactful week of the season.

The college football season has a way of “thinning the herd”....even beyond the land of undefeated!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 0
| visibility 1,865
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic