Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Old Alarm Clock
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,941

The Old Alarm Clock

Jun 19, 2018, 7:22 PM

After WW2, I returned to the University of Florida for the 1946 fall semester. I was living on the third floor of a dorm, in a two room suite with three other guys. Having an eight o'clock class three days a week, It was necessary for me to get an alarm clock to awaken this sleepy headed guy. Looking over the supply of alarm clocks in a store, the one I selected cost about $3.00. The alarm was so loud it could awaken all of those in our section on the third floor.

The clock and alarm worked OK for a short time and then the clock would stop. Shaking it would get it running again but not for long. A can of "3 in 1" oil did the trick but it needed more oil about every two or three weeks. I had put so much oil on that old clock, the dial and all moving parts were saturated with oil. One night I was sitting at my desk trying to cram for a test. That constant tick-tick-tick came to a screeching halt. That was the breaking point. I opened the window and threw the clock out. Feeling a bit guilty about polluting the area with my oil soaked clock, I decided to go downstairs, collect all of the broken parts and throw them in the trash container.

There was the old clock, purring like a cat. going tick - tick - tick - tick. The only thing missing was the plastic cover from over the face. I located it nearby and took them back to our suite. I placed the old clock on my desk and never had a bit of trouble with it stopping, unless I forgot to wind it.

I got married just before the 1947 fall semester began. My new bride and I moved into an apartment and began housekeeping. When I started unpacking my personal items, there was my old clock. When my new bride saw the clock she let me know that oil saturated time piece was not going to be a part of our decor. It seems like some of us guys get sentimental at times and hate to let go of an item which has been a part of our life so I decided the old clock needed a little respect. I set the alarm for three AM. At precisely three AM the alarm went off and scared my wufe. We had a big laugh and later that morning my old faithful (at times) alarm clock was tossed in the trash container.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You learned very early

Jun 19, 2018, 8:35 PM

who the boss was!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Re: You learned very early- My motto

Jun 19, 2018, 11:17 PM

you may not always know who is right but always know who is boss

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A wise man picks his battles.

Jun 19, 2018, 8:56 PM

It took me years of marriage to figure that one out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A wise man picks his battles.

Jun 19, 2018, 11:24 PM

Not me - I learned right away - and was a much happier man for it!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,941
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic