Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The NFL is more better than CFB and here's why
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 66
| visibility 1

The NFL is more better than CFB and here's why

Oct 17, 2018, 12:00 PM

The championship is actually won on the field. CFB is a beauty contest. A simple glance at the rankings will confirm this. Half the FBS teams start the season with absolutely no shot at winning the national title. This is the height of stupidity.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The NFL is more better than CFB and here's why

Oct 17, 2018, 12:06 PM

You are correct. Half the teams start the year with no chance of winning the championship - that includes the game coots

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Out of all the dumb sh!t you’ve said...

Oct 17, 2018, 12:06 PM

This might be the dumbest and not because you used the phrase “more better” apparently unironically. Did we not win a natty on the field? Did Bama not win a couple natties on the field?

If you mean that the NFL has more teams that have a chance to win the championship, that’s true but the NFL also has significantly more parity than CFB.

Only 3-4 teams realistically have the talent to win a championship in CFB every year. Get more in there and you’re just diluting the product.

We are all dumber for having read your post. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Re: Out of all the dumb sh!t you’ve said...

Oct 17, 2018, 12:14 PM

“Only 3-4 teams have the talent to win the championship every year”

Everyone else has a legitimate playoff system where EVERY TEAM has a clear path to winning the title.

Using your logic we should just pick the two best teams on paper and let them play for it....

Re: Out of all the dumb sh!t you’ve said...

Oct 17, 2018, 12:24 PM

No. They should just pick the four best on paper and then......oh wait.....

You must be a UCF fan

Oct 17, 2018, 12:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Out of all the dumb sh!t you’ve said... ]

Technically every P5 school has a chance to win the championship any year. If a conference champion goes undefeated, they’re not getting left out of the playoff.

And you saying the Browns or the Bills have a chance to win the Super Bowl is comical. With recruiting and facilities, the power in college football sits with like 10-12 teams really. And out of them 3-4 in a given year are actually good enough to win a title.

Take your dumb@ss argument somewhere else if it’s that big of a problem for you.

Re: You must be a UCF fan

Oct 17, 2018, 1:01 PM

Ok let’s just crown Alabama the champion every year since they have the most talent.

Oct 17, 2018, 1:23 PM

??? Explain

Oct 17, 2018, 2:12 PM

His entire argument is that only the teams with the most talent on paper should be in the playoffs....

In that case why not just go ahead and give the trophy to Alabama since they are the most talented every year?

Because having the most talent isn’t what it’s all about and why group of 5 teams should get a legitimate chance. Again, EVERY OTHER SPORT does this EXCEPT college football. Nobody else hand picks who gets to play for the championship. It’s ludicrous.

I’m not talking about on paper

Oct 17, 2018, 2:45 PM

I’m talking about actually watching football and seeing that there are really ever only 3-4 teams that are good enough to win a championship and history has backed that up. How many different champions have their been in the last like 15 years? 7 I think. Quit with the G5 whining that they don’t have a shot. If UCF actually scheduled tough OOC teams last year and were smoking them, they might’ve gotten in. Same with this year. Their best non conference opponent would’ve been UNC. That’s a joke.

These G5 teams would get smoked in the playoff which would cause a competitive imbalance by giving the 1 seed a virtual bye to the championship or the next round if you expanded it.

Re: I’m not talking about on paper

Oct 17, 2018, 3:26 PM

Well it’s pretty easy for history to back that up when a poll or committee has always determined who the champion is or who gets to play for it.....

Okay let’s play a game

Oct 17, 2018, 4:11 PM

Sugar Bowl last year except it’s UCF instead of Clemson.

Spread is Bama -7 over your Knights

Stakes are if you win the bet you get $5000, you lose you have to cut off the thumb on your dominant hand. Who are you betting on?

Re: Okay let’s play a game

Oct 17, 2018, 4:48 PM

Change that spread to 20 and you might have a tough choice there.

Oct 17, 2018, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Okay let’s play a game ]

Change that spread to 20 and you might have a tough choice there.

Oct 17, 2018, 4:51 PM

Well the OP said every team should have a shot so if a team is going to have a shot to beat Bama you’d think he’d expect them to be able to keep it within a TD

Oct 17, 2018, 6:10 PM

You mean like Clemson did last year?

That’s the point

Oct 17, 2018, 9:11 PM

We were better than UCF last year and still didn’t have enough to beat Bama

Oct 17, 2018, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Re: You must be a UCF fan ]

College football is the best sport and should have the best system. Which it does.

Oct 17, 2018, 9:18 PM [ in reply to Re: You must be a UCF fan ]

Jhop83® said:

His entire argument is that only the teams with the most talent on paper should be in the playoffs....

In that case why not just go ahead and give the trophy to Alabama since they are the most talented every year?

Because having the most talent isn’t what it’s all about and why group of 5 teams should get a legitimate chance. Again, EVERY OTHER SPORT does this EXCEPT college football. Nobody else hand picks who gets to play for the championship. It’s ludicrous.

JHop I would love for your team to get a shot at the playoffs. I like our chances against the coots in a regular season game, I love those chances in a “big game” with boom calling the shots and brenley executing them. Those 2 have proven worthy in big games. You may be on to something here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, but it doesn't matter, the same top few teams will win it all.

Oct 17, 2018, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Out of all the dumb sh!t you’ve said... ]

Even with March Madness, which throws the door open to everybody, you pretty much know before the season even starts who will be in the Elite 8 or Final Four. The teams with the best coaches and the elite talent, with rosters stacked with 4 and 5 star studs. Let's see... I'll take UNC, Kansas, Villanova, Kentucky, Duke, Michigan, etc etc. A Gonzaga or a Butler or whoever will make a nice little run, but in the end, they'll fall short to one of the elite programs.

NFL? Pffft. Patriots, Eagles, Packers, Steelers, etc. Maybe the Rams or Vikings. That's probably about it for the Super Bowl this year. And the NFL has a ton more parity than college football. Surely you're not saying that, a UCF for example, could get into an expanded playoff and run through Clemson, Ohio St and Bama and win it all?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

Re: Yeah, but it doesn't matter, the same top few teams will win it all.

Oct 17, 2018, 12:49 PM

You’re probably right but I like watching those Cinderella teams battle the blue bloods during March madness.

Also, remember the Giants who finished the regular season 10-6 beating an undefeated Patriot team in the Super Bowl? You don’t get that in CFB because of the asinine system.

Oct 17, 2018, 12:55 PM

So you are saying a team that goes 8-4 in college football should have a chance to play for the natty??? Lmfao dude.

Oct 17, 2018, 1:16 PM

If that team wins their conference yes. Every team should have a clear path to the playoff just like EVERY OTHER SPORT known to man.

Name one sport where a single team starts the season without a clear path to a national championship? You can’t do it, yet every group of 5 team is in this boat. Asinine....

Oct 17, 2018, 1:27 PM

The schools schedule their own games ooc. Maybe if they played a couple top 25 teams they would have a chance. It is asinine for you to even be arguing for a group of 5 team to get in. Now we could take out our games against fcs teams and have a 10 game schedule with an 8 team playoff. I wouldn't mind that but I think the system has gotten the best 4 teams in since it starter. UCF would not have beaten any of the 4 teams that were in it last year. They did best Auburn tho so I can see why would could argue that they would. I wouldn't mind seeing them in this year if they win out and other teams have 1 L.

Oct 17, 2018, 2:18 PM

Again, why is so important that we have who we THINK are the best teams? What other sport does this?

It shouldn’t be up to a committe to decide who gets to play for it but that’s what you have.

There hasn’t been a single national title won on the field. Used to you won it by being the prettiest in the eyes of the pollsters, now you just have to impress the committee and win two ball games.

Oct 17, 2018, 2:56 PM

It is won in the field between power 5 schools. The group of 5 teams that want to complain should join a power 5 conference of go independent and schedule real teams. Stop complaining about it. The 4 best teams have battled it out on the field the past 5 years.

Oct 17, 2018, 3:31 PM

Or they could stop including group of 5 teams in the FBS if they aren’t going to be able to play for a championship.

“Best 4 teams” is too subjective anyway and the current system has proven to be far from flawless. There are plenty of teams that would have given us a better game than Ohio St did a couple years ago in the semis.

Oct 17, 2018, 7:58 PM

Please tell me which team was better than OSU and deserved to be in over them?? Lemme guess Western Michigan? Lmao.

fair enough...***

Oct 17, 2018, 1:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Yeah, but it doesn't matter, the same top few teams will win it all. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

boom, roasted***

Oct 17, 2018, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Out of all the dumb sh!t you’ve said... ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TrollHop83 is at it again...

Oct 17, 2018, 12:19 PM

Oct 17, 2018, 12:22 PM

If undefeated/1 loss Vandy or Wake wins their conference they are going to the playoffs.

Op's prefers the NFL because his

Oct 17, 2018, 12:25 PM

collegiate team is irrelevant every year.
Even when the sec least is so pitiful..

Oct 17, 2018, 12:51 PM

Aww look Skeeter3 needs more attention... Sad really...

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

So if the group of 5 had a confirmed spot, you're problem would be solved?

Oct 17, 2018, 12:56 PM

Because who else doesn't have a chance? If WF ran the table, they'd be in. If Rutgers ran the table, they'd be in. 2 years ago, if Houston ran the table, they would have been in (would have had wins over Lvill and OK).
You want guaranteed spots, like the 7-9 Seahawks in the playoffs 5 yers ago. College football rejects that notion. So do I.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: So if the group of 5 had a confirmed spot, you're problem would be solved?

Oct 17, 2018, 1:15 PM

If UCF were to...well dagnabit, there goes that argument.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was my point.. he wants a guaranteed group of 5 spot.

Oct 17, 2018, 1:30 PM

Houston would have made it because they would have defeated multiple ranked power 5 teams. UCF beat USF and Memphis at the end of the season, but no other quality opponents.
So, Bama SOR was 28, OK 20, Clemson 14, and UGA 5.
UCF wasn't even close at 79, after Nevada, Toledo, and Temple. Is that who you want in the playoff?

null

Re: That was my point.. he wants a guaranteed group of 5 spot.

Oct 17, 2018, 1:40 PM

Them beating Auburn made it look like that had a case but I agree with you. They could schedule a team that is consistently in the top 25. Even if we go to a 8 team playoff UCF would have been left out. We could assure one spot to group of 5s best team but what if that team has 3 Ls? Join a big boy conference or go independent and schedule like ND does if you want to complain about not making the playoffs.

Re: So if the group of 5 had a confirmed spot, you're problem would be solved?

Oct 17, 2018, 1:19 PM [ in reply to So if the group of 5 had a confirmed spot, you're problem would be solved? ]

That would be a step in the right direction. I think every conference champion should be in OR have a separate natty for group of 5.

Either would be better than having all those teams start the season knowing a national championship was not in their grasp.

Nope. If group of 5 wants to play with the big boys

Oct 17, 2018, 1:37 PM

then they need to schedule them. UCF had Maryland and GT scheduled last year. Gt was cancelled for weather. With the rest of the schedule being group of 5, they need every OOC game to be against power 5. They wins those, even if its against mediocre power 5 teams, and go undefeated, then they'll be in.

Every team has a chance, but you have to schedule it and win to have a shot.

null

why do you bother?

Oct 17, 2018, 1:18 PM

its not even worth the effort to td such swill.

GoTiguhs!!

You're wrong.

Oct 17, 2018, 1:28 PM

But you have a valid point about it being a beauty contest in choosing the CFP teams. Otherwise Bama would not have been in last year.

Who would you have put in? Only team that I possibly

Oct 17, 2018, 1:43 PM

would have put in is Auburn, who had 2 losses to eventual #2 and #4 with wins over Bama and that same #2 team.

null

Re: Who would you have put in? Only team that I possibly

Oct 17, 2018, 1:45 PM

OSU maybe but they are just as popular as Bama do I don't think Bama got in because of beauty.

Re: You're wrong.

Oct 17, 2018, 2:08 PM [ in reply to You're wrong. ]

So I’m right.

CFB playoffs won't be legit until..

Oct 17, 2018, 1:31 PM

The only ticket to the dance comes from winning your conference and every d1 conference gets a invite.

Please explain

Oct 17, 2018, 1:40 PM

Why any team that wins the PAC 12 this year deserves to be in the playoff. Name one team that would give any of the current top 5 a run for their money.

Re: Please explain

Oct 17, 2018, 1:46 PM

I think Oregon could beat ND and LSU. Maybe could beat OSU as well.

Oct 17, 2018, 1:54 PM

Oregon only 34th in S&P+. None of the other teams you mentioned are lower than 14. So statiscally Oregon is not in the same arena

Oct 17, 2018, 2:03 PM

Never said they were just said I think they could beat some of the top 5 teams. Didn't say they would either. They need Utah, zona st, and USC to keep winning. Have Washington beat Stanford and Oregon win out beating a top 25 USC team in the Pac 12 championship I think they could get in. They need some other teams to lose ofcourse.

They need chaos

Oct 17, 2018, 2:06 PM

Big 12 and B1G to cannibalize each other, ND drop one, Bama go undefeated, us go undefeated. Then they might have an outside shot but still think Bama, us, OSU, ND, LSU all beat them with relative ease

Re: They need chaos

Oct 17, 2018, 2:23 PM

Well that does it folks. 6 games in we know who the best teams are....no need to go any further.

Yeah we kinda do

Oct 17, 2018, 2:51 PM

If you little G5 crybabies want it to change go break off and make even less money setting up your own playoff.

I could give you the current top 6 teams vs the rest of the country and see where you think the national champion would come from and if you said outside the top 6 you’d be wrong every time.

If you don’t like it don’t watch, the networks won’t miss you while the door is hitting you on the way out.

Re: Yeah we kinda do

Oct 17, 2018, 3:37 PM

Pretty sure Ohio st was ranked like 16th in the first CFP poll a few years back and they went on to win the whole thing.

You’re no where near as smart as you think you are pal....

Oct 17, 2018, 5:19 PM

One team out of 20 oh no. You really think a team outside of the top 10 is going to the playoffs this year?

Oct 17, 2018, 9:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Yeah we kinda do ]

Your shining example of “everyone should have a chance” is 2015 Ohio State? Who jumped TCU and Baylor in the final week to get into the playoff largely off name recognition that you’re arguing shouldn’t come into play?

Nice try, chief

Re: They need chaos

Oct 17, 2018, 3:01 PM [ in reply to They need chaos ]

Hard to tell how good they are for sure but Washington is a good team and they beat them. I don't think they could beat us or Bama but I just do not believe any other team is on that level. They do need chaos but chaos is bound to happen. It always does. It seems like Nd, Bama, OSU, and Clemson should all win out but most likely atleast 2 of those teams will take an L. It seems to happen every year. Who knows tho there is a lot of football left to play. The top 4 teams at the end will most likely come from the top 6 or 7 teams right now tho. Oregon and NC St are the only 2 that have a chance outside the top 10.

Re: You lost me at "more better"

Oct 17, 2018, 2:07 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Oct 17, 2018, 3:00 PM

The NFL has 32 teams in 2 conferences each having 4 divisions of 4 teams. With this arrangement, it is easy to structure a playoff system and championship game.
Ranking: Win-loss is the only thing that matters.
Schedules: Irrelevant.
Rosters: The NFL has smaller rosters and has salary caps.
Fewer teams plus roster restrictions levels the field.

The FBS has 130 teams, most of which are a member of 1 of the 11 conferences. In order to have a playoff system and championship game, an imprecise ranking method must be applied.
Ranking: The official ranking system includes strength of schedule, conference championships, win-loss, head-to-head results, plus other points such as injuries and weather.
Schedules: Other than conference games, games are scheduled years in advance. In the time between when a game is scheduled and when it occurs, the "strength" of a team is likely to change and thus affect the strength of schedule.
Rosters: The FBS has larger rosters.
The overall size of everything in this system results in a wider variety of team strengths.

I love football in general, but the college level is far more exciting due to the unpredictability of each game not the end result of a season.

If the desire is to create some type of parity to the NFL playoff system, there should only be 4 or 8 conferences with all teams required to be in a conference.

Oct 17, 2018, 3:07 PM

Why not do it like march Madness. Expand football championship to 64 teams, only adds 5 more games for the champs. So for the top teams, 12 regular season, 1 conference championship and 5 playoff games. That's only 18 games.

Let's not kid ourselves, the only reason the nfl expanded the playoffs was to increase the cash. Same with the other pro-sports. March Madness is about the cash as well. The Cinderella story in BB is a fortunate accident of the tourney.

You misspeld "morer betterer"***

Oct 17, 2018, 3:13 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2018, 3:18 PM

Any P5 team that goes undefeated will win the national championship.

If you’re arguing about G5 schools, the problem is they probably shouldn’t be Division 1 teams.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

No, the NFL is better because the players are better***

Oct 17, 2018, 3:31 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No, the NFL is better because the players are better***

Oct 17, 2018, 8:00 PM

Smart man you are.

Oct 17, 2018, 3:32 PM

U had me at "more better"

Oct 17, 2018, 5:29 PM

"More better"? That alone shows the height of your stupidity. I stopped watching the NFL years ago, but especially since the kneeling of players. Find another less disrespectful way to protest and many who left viewership might return.

Oct 17, 2018, 9:00 PM

The NFL does have a better playoff system, but CFB is infinitely more interesting to watch.

The NFL can have a true playoff because their are only 32 teams and they play an 18 game season. There are 130 something FBS teams and only 12 games. There's no way to have a true playoff. However, expanding to an 8 team playoff would make it much fairer.

I think one way to do it would be to eliminate FBS vs FCS matchups in the regular season and play those games in the spring instead of the current spring games. Then have a 12 game regular season of all FBS vs FBS teams with a requirement that all teams play a minimum of 5 Power 5 games. Start the first round of the 8 team playoff the week after the conference championship games and play them on the home fields of the 4 highest ranked teams. The four losers of the first round would get automatic bids to designated bowls and the 4 winners would advance to the final playoff rounds played the same as they are now during bowl week.

Replies: 66
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic