Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The NC State game will show us a lot about our identity on O
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 0
| visibility 806

The NC State game will show us a lot about our identity on O

Oct 16, 2018, 11:36 AM

I am looking for us to break our early game tendencies and put NC State on their heels, instead of us having to spend a quarter to wake up. I think the only remedy for this (now) 7-game issue is to turn up the aggression. We have probably left a lot of our firepower on the battlefield in a lot of games thanks to an almost rigid adherence to the "take what the defense gives you" approach. I understand the logic of being conservative and lean on better athletes grinding it out, but I think there is a lower ceiling to that approach than if we mix in more aggression.

I think that defenses have adjusted to our previously effective strategy of using perimeter WR screens to stretch the field horizontally. That well doesn't have as much water in it. But the well with ETN and running between the tackles and the well with TL throwing deep crossing routes or 50/50 balls looks near full to me. Or the playaction pass well? Full.

We have the horses to dictate more than just tempo. We can dictate the direction of the game with playcalling designed to keep the other team off balance. I think it is taking the coaches longer to notice this because they had established a very successful identity that won a national championship. But like all advances in football strategy, defenses adjust. You are either improving or getting worse.

Maybe we should break tendency from here on out so its not so easy for inferior talent to move their chess pieces in the perfect place to minimize our very expected scripts. I believe this is part of the reason the O-line looks so much better at run blocking than pass blocking. The O-line is having to carry the extra burden of how limited and how obvious our scheme is. But when allowed to run block, (not delayed or slow-developing run plays, which happen too often IMO) they at least can use their toughness and their strength in an assertive manner.

There, I'm done.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 0
| visibility 806
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic