Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The KB Dilemma and Why He Should Not Start (LONG READ)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

The KB Dilemma and Why He Should Not Start (LONG READ)

May 22, 2018, 5:38 PM

Many Tiger Net members are asking why so many people allegedly hate Kelly Bryant. I don't think they hate Kelly Bryant, but I think they see what is obvious. Kelly Bryant is not QB material at Clemson University. Clemson was exposed against Alabama in the playoff game. To beat Kelly Bryant all you have to do is put a spy on him, and bring pressure every play. It forces him to win with his arm, and he simply can't do it.

I think there's a sense of urgency surrounding the team this year to win it all. Think about it this way if you will. You had four young men who could have entered the draft and made lots of money. However, they chose to return to Clemson for one more year to win it all. They didn't come back to win 11 games and lose two or three games. They came back to win the National Championship for their program, their school, their fans, and more importantly their coach. It is not fair to them if we have a QB that goes three and out during 85% of each drive Clemson enters. Not only does that risk injury for them, but tires out the defense and causes us to lose games.

History is best served once in this situation. Cole Stoudt took over and everyone knew that Watson was the better option. Well, as a result we lost three regular season games, didn't make the playoffs, and didn't perform to the standard at Clemson University. I think people remember that all too well and would like to avoid a repeat. If you want to see more quality players transfer, then play the guy in front of them that doesn't even come close to out performing the bench rider on the field. I mean, watching TL and KB in the Spring Game was almost Deja Vu of the 2014 Team in Athens against UGA. I mean almost identical to what happened with Watson took the field against them. Then Coach Dabo took Watson out of the game and the rest is history as we came away with a loss due to lack of offensive performance. We had the Number 1 over all defense that season too. What a shame! We could have won it all with a player like Watson under center that season.

Now, let's have a look at the facts from a statistic standpoint.

Tajh Boyd: 2011 - 10–4 record, winning the ACC Championship 3,828 yards and 33 passing touchdowns
2012 - 11–2 record, passes for 3,896 yards, 36 touchdowns, and 13 interceptions, was hit 38 times during the LSU game and still managed to win the game
2013 - 11-2 record, passes for 3,851 yards, 34 touchdowns, and 11 interceptions, shredded the Ohio State Buckeyes in the Orange Bowl.

Deshaun Watson: 2014 - Through three games, he completed 29-of-41 passes for 479 yards with four touchdowns and no interceptions, outperforming Stoudt. Watson was named the Tigers' starter on September 21. However, we had already lost a game on account of Cole Stoudt's interceptions and 3-out performances. FSU could have been won as well that year. This is the same year that the curse was broken agains the coots, and he did it all on one leg too. For his 8 games that season he threw for 14 TDs vs 2 Interceptions.

2015 - Watson led Clemson to an undefeated 12-0 regular season and a #1 ranking in the polls. This is after sitting out most of the Spring Camp due to ACL surgery. He threw for 35 TDs and 13 Interceptions while leading the Tigers to the National Championship undefeated.

2016- 14-1 record, 41 Touchdown Passes, 17 Interceptions and a National Championship Win. NEED I SAY MORE?

KELLY BRYANT - 12-2 record, 13 Touchdown Passes, 8 Interceptions all season long. During 8 of those games he threw for 3 Touchdowns and 6 interceptions. This is NOT the Standard at Clemson, and this is not indicative of a performance that will win a National Championship. He was out performed by three lower classmen during the Spring Game which doesn't bode well for a season that has so much riding on it. That man will not play on Sunday or Monday at the next level. Not at QB at least. He's no Mike Vick, and Lamar Jackson won't be there too long either. The truth is cold and hard, but nonetheless the dang truth.

This apparently leaves coaches with something to think about. It also puts things into proper perspective with fans as well. The cold hard fact is this, if we start KB and he performs as he did last season or during the spring game we WILL NOT win the National Title. If you want to see more quality players transfer to include Trevor Lawrence then go ahead and start KB and lose three games this season. This fine tuned well oiled machine would fly apart so fast it would make Frank Howard cry out from his grave. Loyalty in College Football can only go so far, and then you have to lean towards performance. The show isn't over yet though if we start KB. You can expect WRs to avoid Clemson like the plague, just like they do UGA. UGA has had quality QBs that can throw the ball but refuse to play them and WRs get very few targets. Nobody wants to come to Clemson to waste their time. They come to Clemson to have the best chance to play at the next level. Want to see QBs choose other schools then go ahead and bench the best man for the job and lose three games this season. The choice is Dabo's, and I pray he makes the best decision. I just do NOT believe from a performance standpoint that KB gives us the best chance to become champions. It's really that simple and it's not fair to those who waived their draft to come back and win a Natty for their team.

That being said, GO TIGERS!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Re: The KB Dilemma and Why He Should Not Start (LONG READ)

May 22, 2018, 5:51 PM

Dabo is not stupid and has grown a lot as a coach.
He won’t play around much with KB with TL on the bench.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ Let Us Hope This Is True ^^^***

May 22, 2018, 6:07 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^AMEN^^^***

May 23, 2018, 5:42 AM

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller

Good lawd-a-mercy!***

May 22, 2018, 7:15 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

After reading your post, it is clear that there is no dilemma.

May 23, 2018, 5:56 AM

Lawrence will be the starter. We must have a QB who can pass the ball well. Lawrence does that, and Bryant doesn’t.

Experience, last year, etc. - nothing else matters nearly as much in this conversation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: After reading your post, it is clear that there is no dilemma.

May 23, 2018, 6:18 AM

Last time I checked, Dabo hasn't asked anyone in here for advice and no one in here is getting paid to tell us who should start and who shouldn't. This board goes beyond itself sometimes.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: After reading your post, it is clear that there is no dilemma.

May 23, 2018, 8:21 AM

I never claimed to be the Head Coach of Clemson. However, my fear isn't Kelly Bryant being the QB. My concern is that Coach Swinney waits until we've lost three games and then decides to start Trevor Lawrence. By then, we are eliminated from the CFP and next year our defense will be fairly bare on experience and skill. We need this win to attract more elite recruits to the program. We need a National Title to show the nation that Clemson isn't a fluke and that our National Title wasn't just pure luck.

~Chesty Puller

Re: The KB Dilemma and Why He Should Not Start (LONG READ)

May 23, 2018, 6:28 AM

You left out "A center that snaps the ball either on the ground or almost over his head every play"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic