Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The ACC is a 15 team league in basketball... The league
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

The ACC is a 15 team league in basketball... The league

Mar 26, 2019, 6:36 PM

probably averages 7-9 teams in the NCAAT each year (I haven't researched that, but it sounds about right)... Clemson is 1 for 7 in NCAAT appearances since expansion to 18 games and 1 for 6 since expansion to 15 teams.

If you know the ACC is going to get anywhere from 7-9 teams in any given year, and we are 1-7 of being in that group of 7-9... I would say that would put us in the lower half of the conference over that time period.

Correct?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The ACC is a 15 team league in basketball... The league

Mar 26, 2019, 6:46 PM

We spend more money in basketball than one team in the ACC....Boston College.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

please explain

Mar 26, 2019, 6:48 PM

BB is the 6th highest paid coach in the ACC. We just finished a major renovation. Where does this money need to go and how will it improve us getting to the postseason.

Bagmen***

Mar 26, 2019, 6:49 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bagmen***

Mar 26, 2019, 6:49 PM [ in reply to please explain ]

Mar 26, 2019, 6:55 PM [ in reply to Re: The ACC is a 15 team league in basketball... The league ]

Brad needs to communicate his vision for the basketball program to the administration and then show results and then they will give him the resources he needs to be successful. When Coach Sweeney got the head coaching job for football the administration wasn’t spending the kind of money that they’re spending now on football it’s because he had a vision he sold it to the administration and then he got results. It’s Brad’s job to make the Clemson basketball job a good job .

9 years is past that time... IMO

Mar 26, 2019, 6:58 PM

time to hear someone else's vision... Not to mention that, at his opening Presser, Brad flat out said... "this is not a rebuilding job".

Re: 9 years is past that time... IMO

Mar 26, 2019, 7:07 PM

Oh I agree I think he should’ve been fired six years ago. He can’t recruit he builds his program through transfers and his teams really don’t have an identity.

Here’s the transcript of that 1st presser....

Mar 26, 2019, 7:22 PM [ in reply to 9 years is past that time... IMO ]

But according to some Brad inherited a dumpster fire. The man said out of his own lips that he inherited a ready made program.
https://clemsontigers.com/brad-brownell-hiring-press-conference-transcript/

And then he got here, saw the program from the inside,

Mar 26, 2019, 8:02 PM

and realized that the situation wasn't nearly as good as he had hoped.

He has also mentioned that several times in interviews in the years since.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

So Brad lied to us initially?***

Mar 26, 2019, 9:37 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Yes, he intentionally lied

Mar 26, 2019, 9:40 PM

to mislead us all and ensure that his margin for error was as small as possible.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Thanks for confirming***

Mar 26, 2019, 9:44 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: Link?***

Mar 27, 2019, 12:40 AM [ in reply to And then he got here, saw the program from the inside, ]

you have a link to Brad saying things were worse than he

Mar 27, 2019, 2:58 AM [ in reply to And then he got here, saw the program from the inside, ]

thought?

Re: Here’s the transcript of that 1st presser....

Mar 26, 2019, 9:50 PM [ in reply to Here’s the transcript of that 1st presser.... ]

So you believe what coaches, AD's, CEO's, politicians, and leadership tell you 100%?

Brad said what he was supposed to say when taking the job whether he believed it or not.

Should he be let go? I'm in the Judge's camp on this one.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here’s the transcript of that 1st presser....

Mar 27, 2019, 4:41 AM

The overriding sentiment is that Brad is brutally honest, even to a fault. Now I’m supposed to believe that he basically lied to get the job? Riiiight.

No, he didn't lie at all.

Mar 27, 2019, 3:36 PM

When he took the job, what he saw on the surface led him to believe that he was stepping into a program with a good foundation. He still thought that at his introductory press conference. Once he arrived and saw the program from the inside, its issues became apparent.

Mar 26, 2019, 6:47 PM

We have had only 1 ACC team that has won the last 2 out of three men’s national championship in football... I’m perfectly fine with that tho ??

Mar 26, 2019, 8:11 PM

I don’t believe 9 teams have made it but 1 time maybe 2.

Mar 26, 2019, 8:31 PM

You like to pretend that the NCAA tourney is some kind of egalitarian invitational. It's not.

Nobody pounds the table at the selection meetings and says "You can't leave an exciting team, a big name draw with so much history as Clemson at home. You just can't!"

Meanwhile we play quality basketball (well, mostly) in the middle tier (hello, 15 teams, so the middle tier of 3 is 6th-10th, or the middle tier of 5 is 7th-9th, either way we're middle tier) in one of the two overwhelmingly best conferences in the nation. Every year we're one of the best 55 teams in the nation, yet we've only been invited to go dancing once by finishing 3rd in the ACC.

Brad got lucky last year. If we had been 5th or 6th in conference last year, the selection committee would have left us home last year, too. And then you'd be complaining about 0-for-9.

What's the solution? Play more exciting ball? Generate more buzz? Get a big name freshman? Beat UNC in Chapel Hill? IDK, but you seem to think that changing the face in the suit will put us in the tourney next year.

Not true. Wake up. Tobacco Road has simply changed zip codes. They now reside in Manhattan penthouses. And the bagmen now work for Nike, Adidas, UnderArmour and Champion, so Roy and Coach K can stay employed even if Pitino can't. Our basketball coach needs more than just a shorter leash in order to get invited to the dance. He either needs one guy like Zion, or 5 like Reed, plus thousands of fans like the Judge. Who go to games.

Mar 26, 2019, 8:31 PM

You like to pretend that the NCAA tourney is some kind of egalitarian invitational. It's not.

Nobody pounds the table at the selection meetings and says "You can't leave an exciting team, a big name draw with so much history as Clemson at home. You just can't!"

Meanwhile we play quality basketball (well, mostly) in the middle tier (hello, 15 teams, so the middle tier of 3 is 6th-10th, or the middle tier of 5 is 7th-9th, either way we're middle tier) in one of the two overwhelmingly best conferences in the nation. Every year we're one of the best 55 teams in the nation, yet we've only been invited to go dancing once by finishing 3rd in the ACC.

Brad got lucky last year. If we had been 5th or 6th in conference last year, the selection committee would have left us home last year, too. And then you'd be complaining about 0-for-9.

What's the solution? Play more exciting ball? Generate more buzz? Get a big name freshman? Beat UNC in Chapel Hill? IDK, but you seem to think that changing the face in the suit will put us in the tourney next year.

Not true. Wake up. Tobacco Road has simply changed zip codes. They now reside in Manhattan penthouses. And the bagmen now work for Nike, Adidas, UnderArmour and Champion, so Roy and Coach K can stay employed even if Pitino can't. Our basketball coach needs more than just a shorter leash in order to get invited to the dance. He either needs one guy like Zion, or 5 like Reed, plus thousands of fans like the Judge. Who go to games.

So I’m not a Brownell hater but don’t you think we were two wins away from the tournament?

Mar 26, 2019, 8:38 PM

And I can give you a list of greater than two games that we shoulda coulda won

Stop now!

Mar 26, 2019, 9:04 PM

A few points from rendering this topic a moot point is a bad idea. The haters want to hate and they want to hate here. The team won four games by 12 total points last year, but that's not worth considering. Nope 5 L's by a total of 8 points is the mantra.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Stop now!

Mar 26, 2019, 10:08 PM

That fact sir, transcends the goals of the committee that knows Brad is the wrong coach for our program... That said, it cannot be relevant... We both know better of course.

Re: So I’m not a Brownell hater but don’t you think we were two wins away from the tournament?

Mar 27, 2019, 12:36 AM [ in reply to So I’m not a Brownell hater but don’t you think we were two wins away from the tournament? ]

Two? Maybe three.

In retrospect, i think we had to be good enough to bump Syracuse or Louisville OOT, or possibly both.

Doing that would have been almost as big an overachievement as last year.

IMO, Clemson is disrespected as much in basketball as we pretend we are in football. One thing I've never understood is why we have only been seeded higher(lower) than #9 once, when we were in the play-in game in 2011.
I know most double-digit seeds are usually given to the minor league schools, but there's always a handful of major conference teams there, too. But it consistently seems that if we don't earn a #9 or better, we stay home.

Back when the Big East was putting 10 teams in, their 10th place teams were allowed in as double-digit seeds.

Clemson was one of only 16 teams to...

Mar 26, 2019, 9:23 PM

make the Sweet 16 in 2018.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

if true, then that’s a game changer . . .

Mar 26, 2019, 9:28 PM

Do you have a link?

According to Common Core

Mar 26, 2019, 9:29 PM [ in reply to Clemson was one of only 16 teams to... ]

we also made the Sweet 16 this year

In the harder tournament to get in to

#newbannertime

We've only gotten 9 teams in twice and we've only gotten 7

Mar 26, 2019, 11:30 PM

or more in 6 times in the last 20 years...Over that same stretch, the ACC has gotten in 4 or less 7 times and we average less than 6 bids a year since 00...If you want more than a 20 year sample, look it up yourself, at least I'm not pulling numbers directly out of my a$$ because it "sounds about right"...Of course it sounds right to you, you're making it up to fit your agenda, duh

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Since BB has been here, the ACC has averaged

Mar 27, 2019, 2:17 AM

approx. 6.5 bids per year... and that is with only 4 bids in 2011 and 2013. So yea, I was a little high, which I stated I hadn't checked. However, the last five years, the ACC has averaged 7.6 bids per year, twice getting 9 teams in.

You can go back 20 years if you want to look at how many the ACC gets in, but that only prove the over-arching point more... as the previous coaches were able to do it with less teams getting in.

If less ACC teams used to get bids, which we've established,

Mar 27, 2019, 12:54 PM

does that mean the ACC has gotten harder? Asking for a friend

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic