Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Talent Evaluation - sets CU apart!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,592

Talent Evaluation - sets CU apart!

Sep 11, 2019, 8:02 PM

Piggy backing off the post about Nolan Turner! The way this staff has picked players the other "contenders" passed over has been amazing to watch!

Obviously, you aren't winning at the level we are w/o our fair share of top talent everybody wanted!

But, the separation Clemson is experiencing now has to do with developing "hard working 3 star or no star players" and making them so good they push the 4 and 5 star talent in practice. Johnny 5 star is then forced to bring his A-game or get exposed.
The 3 star and under guy probably RS and got bigger, faster, stronger, better, etc. And, was a good player with a work hard for it mentality to begin with. Now, that same player is able to push Johnny 5 star and move the whole team forward b/c complacency can't creep in w/o somebody losing playing time.

Finding that talent has been one of the most under-mentioned thing about this coaching staff's current run.
Other programs have invested in: football ops bldg, catchy slogans ala Dabo, using the term culture a bunch, saying All in, etc.
But, they may not be getting a bunch of guys who want to work! Who are willing to take coaching!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Talent Evaluation - sets CU apart!

Sep 11, 2019, 8:08 PM

I think after identifying the talent and the person, they only go for the ones they truly want. But, because of this, the smart players want to be here to learn and be coached up and to be a better person when they leave Clemson. Iron sharpens iron and now the talent wants to play for some of the best coaches in the business. Even pro coaches are starting to realize this.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Character Stars have to equal, or exceed

Sep 11, 2019, 8:17 PM

The talent stars. That's the difference, IMO.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Character Stars have to equal, or exceed

Sep 11, 2019, 8:22 PM

Salty - I am going to have to use that man!

I love how you worded that. The Character Stars must be equal to the talent - I agree 100% Or exceed the talent Stars - I agree 100%.

Sep 11, 2019, 8:24 PM

Our success developing underrated and less pursued players has been remarkable and this staff should be commended , and I would like to also mention that this trend shows how the national recruiting services have lots of holes in their evaluation processes where great players like Renfrow and Turner and TJ Green end up proving the doubters wrong when they do what they do at a level like Clemson University .

Message was edited by: Tigerdug23®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Sep 11, 2019, 8:55 PM

Agree 100%.

In fact, the recruiting services can really mess a coach up! Let me explain, say the RCSVC(recruiting service) says a kid is a 5 star. But, the kid shows up and does not have immediate impact capability. The fan base are not at practice and don't see the kid - not living up to his star rating! Big time boosters at some schools will then pressure the coach to play this talent. The team suffers and the same boosters go - "we need a new coach; because he can't win with this top tier talent"!

But, the kid wasn't as good as advertised! Even for our Tigers and people did "negative recruiting against Clemson for it" we have had to RS 5 star players! Tre Lamar. KJ Henry knew he needed to and RS. TF in my opinion would have benefited from taking a RS!

Read below.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-recruiting-five-star-busts-hype-133716114/#133716114_9

Sep 11, 2019, 11:02 PM

An old line perhaps, but Dabo and his Team do not recruit "stars", they recruit talent and character - as perceived. They know what they see, and know how these boys carry themselves and communicate.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,592
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic