Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Yahoo ranking says trajectory 'down' for Clemson athletics
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 63
| visibility 1

TNET: Yahoo ranking says trajectory 'down' for Clemson athletics

Jul 3, 2019, 11:27 AM

Yahoo ranking says trajectory 'down' for Clemson athletics

Following an over 20-spot drop in the Directors' Cup rankings, Yahoo Sports designated Clemson's athletics' momentum as "down" in its yearly Power 5 all-sports Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can't argue with that

Jul 3, 2019, 11:34 AM

Who else is winning? Not really any team on campus not coached by Dabo

I blame it all on Tillman Hall.***

Jul 3, 2019, 11:54 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Just don't blame it on the Oculus.

Jul 3, 2019, 4:39 PM

Because them would be fightin' words ;)

Re: Can't argue with that

Jul 3, 2019, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Can't argue with that ]

The baseball team went to a regional and the women's BBall team won a first round game in the NCAAs. The men's Bball team did go to the NIT, but may not factor in to the ranking criteria whatever that may be. Both golf programs and women's soccer had NCAA tourney years. Not too many CU sports left to impact the ranking. Venture to guess many of the teams in the top fifty have men's - women's lacrosse, field hockey, men's - women's swimming and diving, gymnastics, men's and women's fencing and softball (which we will have next year) ala UNC which suck in a good number of points for the cup. Would like to see a comparison with the schools which have the sports lineup we have. Don't think UNcheat's football team scored too many points for the trophy. Forde is just another hack journalist/commentator who takes a few points and draws a very incomplete picture of the circumstances and results.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Exactly.***

Jul 3, 2019, 4:38 PM

I remember being a part of several ACC Championship teams

Jul 3, 2019, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Can't argue with that ]

indoor and outdoor track. We set the outdoor scoring record with 216 points in 1997. We finished 3rd in NCAA's in indoor the next year.

The track teams have gone into a nose dive since they hired Mark Elliot. It's the weakest teams I've seen since I knew of Clemson track in the mid 90's.

Message was edited by: TigerCC®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I remember being a part of several ACC Championship teams

Jul 3, 2019, 1:47 PM

Mark Elliott has been somewhat successful at Clemson with NCAA Individual Qualifiers in Indoor and Outdoor Track and Field,a Individual National Title in 2015 Indoor 800m with Natoya Goule,was ACC Indoor and Outdoor Champions in his first season with the Women's program and but overall he been a little disappointing compared to what he did with the Men's and Women's program at LSU.I would have thought he would have brought some of his success at LSU to Clemson but it just has not happen.His BIO from the Clemson Track and Field page on ClemsonTigers.com speaks for itself when it comes to what his teams accomplished at LSU-Elliott brought a winning pedigree to Clemson, as he helped the LSU men’s program to NCAA Championship indoor crowns in 2001 and 2004, and to an outdoor title in 2002. The Tiger women won indoor national titles from 1994-97 and 2002-04, and outdoor championships from 1994-97, 2003, 2008 and 2012.

Yuuup

Jul 3, 2019, 4:41 PM [ in reply to I remember being a part of several ACC Championship teams ]

You knaled it.

Correct. What he’s sayin’ ain’t wrong.***

Jul 3, 2019, 12:57 PM [ in reply to Can't argue with that ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Anyone here want to swapathletic programs with UNC or FSU?

Jul 3, 2019, 1:12 PM [ in reply to Can't argue with that ]

I didn't think so!!

I don't know how the various sports are counted, but a football natty should be worth waaay more than any other sport. About 5x basketball, 20x baseball and 50x any other sport.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Baseball ain't that. Neither is soccer and some other stuff that

Jul 3, 2019, 4:37 PM [ in reply to Can't argue with that ]

I can't name right now.

Re: Can't argue with that

Jul 4, 2019, 2:24 AM [ in reply to Can't argue with that ]

It isn't about us winning or losing. This thing was specifically designed to reward ridiculous Ivy League programs for teams that no one else cares about.

Currently the track teams count for a third of our performance in this thing and six times as much as football. We were winning national championships when i was at Clemson and one of my great regrets is that i didn't go support them. But, in my defense, I couldn't have told you where to go or when if you wanted to. It didn't move ther needle on campus.

Yes, we're a football school. Enjoy it. Don't spend a moment worrying about a ranking thay would be helped twice as much by our imaginary water polo teams.

Re: TNET: Yahoo ranking says trajectory 'down' for Clemson athletics

Jul 3, 2019, 12:05 PM

I have to say, with all due respect to the other sports, everything other than football is background noise. I want all of our men's and women's Tiger teams to perform well. No disrespect intended to the other sports as those athletes all work extremely hard and want to win at the highest level. Winning championships in other sports is great and gives me a momentary sense of pride for our school. However, the joy and happiness that comes from success on the gridiron is second to none.

I live and work in North Carolina. I wear Clemson shirts to work and have Clemson stuff in my office. No one EVER asks me about a single sport other than football. I love the sport of soccer but have never had a conversation about soccer at work. I personally think we should be much better at Bball than we are but no one ever talks to me about Clemson Bball. Even the Tarhole fans I work with who you would think would blast me for being a Clemson fan only talk about football with me. Tarholes love their Bball but they crave success in football.

I think about Clemson football all year long. Can't wait for the preseason mags to come out and can't wait for fall practice. Next to Clemson football is pro football in the pecking order. Love the Red Sox and love the world series wins, but to ME they do not compare to shocking the world and beating Bama by 28 points.

I do not agree much with Pat Forde. He has been less than complimentary of Clemson football in the past especially in the Bowden years which was probably deserved. But he is dead on with his statement that it is all about football and everything else is background noise.

Football success and success in other sports

Jul 3, 2019, 12:37 PM

are not mutually exclusive to one another.

Both can happen at the same time.

Yes, 100% agree, football is the dominant sport. No question. But, other sports are not doing as well as they should be.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Football pays the bills. Sometimes basketball and baseball

Jul 3, 2019, 12:39 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Yahoo ranking says trajectory 'down' for Clemson athletics ]

to a lesser extent can make money depending on the school. Everything else is a money loser. Those other sports can just thank football for them even existing in any meaningful way on campus.

The latest VLOG had our women's volleyball team over in Europe living it up in the Hungarian countryside while participating in some tournament. Who pays for their coach, facility at Clemson, and travel to Hungary? Football and IPTAY. That's who.

I'll take 60th or whatever in the Director's Cup any day as long as we win natty's in football. I'd like to see our basketball and baseball teams doing better. There should be no bigger Clemson football fans than women's volleyball players and coaches, softball, women's basketball, etc.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I ran CC & Track and won several ACC championships

Jul 3, 2019, 12:51 PM

while at Clemson.

I always knew that Football was #1 while on campus. But, it sure was nice being on winning teams and a successful program.

Too bad the track & CC teams are in the toilet for the last 10 years. Nothing has changed, except the coaching staff.

I wish we did better in other sports too.

Jul 3, 2019, 2:19 PM

So much has to do with coaching in all sports.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spot on

Jul 3, 2019, 2:36 PM

I'm not sure where it went wrong, but, going forward we should always aim to be the best in every sport.

I can only speak to track/cc, but I've seen as an athlete and a coach at the college level to know Clemson should be top 2 in the ACC every year, and top 5 nationally.

Re: I wish we did better in other sports too.

Jul 3, 2019, 6:23 PM [ in reply to I wish we did better in other sports too. ]

See, that’s not what I get when I read your previous post. It’s kinda meh with anything other than football and that’s the way most on tnet seem to be... imo.

There’s a minority that really participate and go to and engage in the other sports. Look how many times T I P has been downvoted for expressing his/her desire for better performance in the other sports. Most reply with the old money sucker response.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I want all things Clemson to be good.

Jul 3, 2019, 6:57 PM

Sports, academics, campus, football, you name it. But the fact remains football is the money maker. The better football does, the more money other sports get. But that doesn't mean the other sports should stink. I think we've made some less than stellar hires in other sports over the years. How may times do we have to renovate Littlejohn? I mean if that money was spent on a basketball coach, or even half of it, we'd have a top tier basketball team.

Spend money on the coach. Win some games. Get fans involved. Money comes in. THEN renovate facilities. For too long that pecking order has been bass ackwards. Build the facilities, hire a mediocre coach, and hope facilities get you better athletes who will somehow win games.

We got lucky with Dabo. He came cheap. But he advocated that his assistants be the best paid in college football. Only this past year has he been adequately compensated. We need that same mindset in the "other sports". We can start by finding an excellent basketball coach and pay him an excellent salary to come here and build a team. Still on the fence with baseball. But coaching, for "other sports" should be where money is spent. Especially the two that can turn a profit, baseball (maybe) and especially basketball.

Re: I want all things Clemson to be good.

Jul 3, 2019, 8:06 PM

Well said and I appreciate the reply. That better explains it. It’s me. Probably shouldn’t even replied before. I was just as nervous when the golf team was trying to make match play as I was the Tigers playing ND in the playoffs... and just as disappointing when the Tigers lost to Jacksonville St. can’t say that about the nit simply because they couldn’t win a championship.

Honestly, I wish we did have all the sports and I see exactly where you’re coming from with the coaches. I think Clemson should have thr best is the standard in every sport.

That being said, if football was as bad as baseball, I would expect everyone to be upset... but I’m behind Monte- I think he’s about where Dabo is at the same year. Basketball is way overdue for a change.

My apologies, you were right.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll give him a few years. But basketball needs a change now***

Jul 3, 2019, 8:10 PM

The other sports are more important if you live near Clemson

Jul 3, 2019, 6:27 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Yahoo ranking says trajectory 'down' for Clemson athletics ]

yes the national brand is football

Re: The other sports are more important if you live near Clemson

Jul 3, 2019, 8:10 PM

I know that’s the way it was when I lived there in the 80’s.

Really?

Jul 3, 2019, 12:06 PM

I find this extremely difficult to believe. Im not saying all our sports are on par with football, far from it. However, baseball did get into the playoffs. Basketball had a decent season (mens and women's. Womens obviously being much better but still decent comparatively). Golf was in the championship competition. I dont lnow if graduation rates are in the figures, but cmon, if they are we are doing very well. I dont get this at all.

Re: Really?

Jul 3, 2019, 8:13 PM

We’re at the tops in APR. we simply don’t have the sports at Clemson. I think it should be broken down and compared accordingly. Like schools against like schools.

Jul 3, 2019, 12:08 PM

Agreed......basketball team couldn't close squat this year. Baseball team sucked this year. Not really much of anything bringing ppl to Clemson except football.

Then again....who really g.a.f. about the other sports teams when they're as inconsistent as Clemson's.

Time for the AD to consider alternatives. It's tough to have a billion dollar donation-based booster club and still have garbage coaching in sports other than the perennial cash cow; football.

Jul 3, 2019, 12:21 PM

I believe Yahoo is also on a downward trajectory.
Who uses Yahoo for anything anymore?

Jul 3, 2019, 11:52 PM

Now that’s just funny,
Ha ha! Good point.

I believe Yahoo is also on a downward trajectory.
Who uses Yahoo for anything anymore?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 3, 2019, 12:31 PM

Oddly enough - Clemson ranking says trajectory ‘down’ for Yahoo’s continued existence.

Jul 3, 2019, 2:44 PM

Came here to post the same thing. How is Yahoo still around?

Jul 3, 2019, 12:44 PM

This Learfield Ranking is a joke. Points come from school's top 19 athletic programs. The best I can tell, Clemson has only 18 programs that would count toward this ranking. Only 6 of those programs (Football, Women's Soccer, Women's Golf, Men's Golf, Women's Basketball, and Baseball) contributed points based on final rankings and/or championship results this academic year. Academics plays no part in these rankings at all. Teams that do well have many other sports represented such as Men's and Women's lacrosse, women's bowling, M & W water polo, beach volleyball, M & W Ice Hockey, Wrestling, etc. Clemson would have to do extremely well in every sport it offers just to crack the top 25 in this bogus ranking. If we would have won National Championships in Men's and Women's Basketball as well as in Baseball then we would have only moved up to around 49th overall.

Message was edited by: cutigergrad93®

GO TIGERS!!!

Jul 3, 2019, 1:54 PM

I read somewhere can't remember where that Clemson only has 17 programs that count toward the Cup. I could be misremembering but I thought it said 17. So Clemson is starting behind before any team hits the playing field. Clemson Soccer had a down year. I suspect the tennis program to get better but I would think Clemson's track teams would be better and challenge every year for the ACC. The one year we have a decent year in women's basketball the rest of the olympic sports goes to crud. If the ACC Network does what they say and Clemson gets more money I would guess the lack of success will be a problem. With more people being able to watch ACC olympic sports now I'd guess Clemson would want them to be good. It's hard to hide it with football when other sports are being played on the ole teley.

Jul 3, 2019, 2:50 PM

These are the 18 I counted:
Fall: Football, M & W Soccer, W Volleyball, M & W Cross Country
Winter: M & W Basketball, M & W Indoor Track & Field
Spring: M & W Tennis, M & W Golf, W Rowing, M & W Track & Field, Baseball

GO TIGERS!!!

Jul 3, 2019, 8:18 PM

Yep, and 19 next year with softball.

Jul 4, 2019, 5:12 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Yahoo ranking says trajectory 'down' for Clemson athletics ]

You only list 17 sports or did I count wrong?

Jul 4, 2019, 8:04 AM

Yeah they listed all 18. When I first counted, I missed counting football at first.

Jul 3, 2019, 12:50 PM

Hmmmm.... wonder how many fans of the schools listed above us would gladly switch places? 57 days! ????

Finebaum strikes again!***

Jul 3, 2019, 12:58 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yahoo would certainly know about downward trajectories***

Jul 3, 2019, 1:04 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 3, 2019, 1:23 PM

MBB and Men's soccer had disappointing seasons. WBB improved, though.

Jul 3, 2019, 4:52 PM

Softball should help in near future.

Jul 3, 2019, 1:26 PM

Gotta admit, our Basketball and Baseball programs were very disappointing this year. And not many are projecting anything special for them next year either.

DRAD can ride Dabo's coattails awhile longer but doesn't change the fact that no where he's ever been has shed a tear when he's left

yet somehow Clemson is 4th in Capital One Cup

Jul 3, 2019, 1:39 PM

MEN'S CUP STANDINGS
SCHOOL POINTS
1. Virginia 127
2. Stanford 85
3. Maryland 75
4. Clemson 62
4. North Dakota State 62
6. Penn State 61
6. Texas Tech 61
8. Florida 60
9. Ohio State 58.5
10. Michigan State 54

HOW IT WORKS
The Capital One Cup is awarded annually to each of the best men's and women's Division I college athletics programs in the country. Points toward the Capital One Cup are earned and tracked throughout the year based on final standings of NCAA Championships and final official coaches' polls. One winning men's and one winning women's program will be crowned after the completion of the final NCAA spring championships. Capital One will award a combined $400,000 in student-athlete scholarships and the Capital One Cup trophy to the winning schools at the ESPY awards in July.

https://www.capitalonecup.com/

https://www.capitalonecup.com/docs/2018-2019_COC_CompleteStandings.pdf

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 3, 2019, 2:01 PM

And his point is what? Honestly, how many of you would trade our last football Natty for the 2018 baseball and women's basketball title? Football is king and everyone that's not any good at it knows it!!

You got it wrong. It's not about trading success

Jul 3, 2019, 2:38 PM

for one program to another program.

Success is not mutually exclusive to one sport. All can be dominate. At the same time.

Re: You got it wrong. It's not about trading success

Jul 3, 2019, 8:23 PM

^^^ gets it ^^^ as well as attends many events!!!

Just asking

Jul 3, 2019, 2:09 PM

How bout a list of the sports that are included in the standings. Or better yet, the spirts we don’t even field a team in.

Softball (yet)
Lacrosse
Wrestling
Hockey
Equestrian

Just sayin.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yahoo? Who gives a $hit about Yahoo??***

Jul 3, 2019, 2:40 PM

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Jul 3, 2019, 3:14 PM

Just send Yahoo, ESECPN, Rival, or who even to just pick a FB team and spot the ball, we will show them down, down in the dirt!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 3, 2019, 3:20 PM

This will change when lady softball begins next year,

Paging Mr. Brownell and Mr. Lee. You got a call on line #4....

Jul 3, 2019, 4:36 PM

Please address that ASAP.

Thank you ,
Robert K. '91

Jul 3, 2019, 5:10 PM

First, this REALLY is influenced by the number of sports in which you participate.

Secondly, I would like to know what the last several (lets say 15) look like to see if this really is a trend. I would like to see it on a control chart. Is this a special cause event? One point out of control? A trend? More than 3ish points on one side of the mean? Otherwise, this is a dumb ranking, befitting of the name of the organization that created it.

Yahoo is Qualified to Rank Nothing***

Jul 3, 2019, 6:07 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dmb fsck actually gets it

Jul 3, 2019, 7:20 PM

2 Nattys in 3 years keeps the donor base content.
We'll still complain about MBB and Baseball (sigh) but there's 180,000 that care more about what Dabo does.

Who cares about the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade when we are beating the SEC's "Best" 3X per year. Including Alabama when it counts in January.

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Jul 3, 2019, 11:53 PM

Yahoo has been irrelevant for some time. Never take abttthgbg they say as something they have put any effort in

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Jul 4, 2019, 12:20 AM

They should rename the Directors' Cup "The Jack of All Trades, But Master on None"

Two thoughts

Jul 5, 2019, 7:55 AM

1. I thought we'd all learned by now to ignore Pat Forde, who is as big a d0uche as they come in the sportswriting world.

2. I think downward trajectory may be a bit of overkill, but it's not necessarily inaccurate either. Sports that we are normally excellent in have suffered recently. Someone above mentioned track and field, and that's a prime example. I don't exactly keep up with T&F but knew we'd been historically good at it. But I was talking to a kid who's attending Clemson in the Fall and he said he hoped to walk on with the T&F team. I told him good luck and said it would be awesome to be part of such a great program, and he kind of half-grimaced and replied (paraphrased) "yeah, they're not very good anymore. Which is partly why I have a chance." Ouch.

I'm glad we're making progress in WBB, which is so nice to see after 2 decades of wandering in the wilderness. And I hope that our tennis and soccer programs can get back to where they should be. But it does seem like our Olympic sports are all struggling. And MBB...*sigh*

It's the truth and I'm perfectly OK with it.

Jul 5, 2019, 8:53 AM

I'm all for having EVERY sport at clemson be successful, but let's face it........as long as football is winning 11-12+ games a year and in the playoff picture contending for NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS we as a fanbase are perfectly fine with that. As the quote said "...everything is just background noise" (ie icing on the cake if they win)

You can give me all the CWS titles/appearances you want and all the BBall titles you want, BUT if Clemson football isn't winning then we as a fanbase are extremely ticked off.

Jul 5, 2019, 9:02 AM

Who gives a sh t? Most are parasitical in relation to the football program; mandated football revenue dispersel is why most exist. They are an extravagance.

Jul 5, 2019, 6:15 PM

Aw, who gives a fat rats behind, schools that don’t have field hockey, lacrosse, gymnastics, etc. realistically can’t compete for that award.

Aw, who gives a fat rats behind, schools that don’t have field hockey, lacrosse, gymnastics, etc. realistically can’t compete for that award.

Replies: 63
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic