Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #66 'The Midnight Man'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #66 'The Midnight Man'

Jun 6, 2020, 8:45 AM

LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #66 'The Midnight Man'

TigerNet will be posting several historic Clemson photos during this difficult time with no Clemson sports. Long-time TigerNet member Mintaka ® submitted many o Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #66 'The Midnight Man'

Jun 6, 2020, 10:11 AM

I watched it on YouTube the other day. Wasn’t a bad movie.

I made about $500 renting several pieces of furniture & art for this film..

Jun 6, 2020, 10:15 AM

from my commercial interior design shop in G'ville SC after couple of the studio’s staging people came by & liked my stylish modern furnishings.

In the movie Burt sat on corner of the black&white contemporary love seat as well as against a pillow which I later sold to a customer who paid a premium price after learning of this DNA happening.

LOL

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My older brother was a Clemson student when that......

Jun 6, 2020, 10:36 AM

movie - had a background part where he walked out of a classroom scene shot in Godfrey Hall. Got paid $50 bucks or something like that. That's his claim to fame as a Hollywood movie star.

A lot of the scenes in that movie won't/don't mean a lot to you younger guys (like the way Riggs Field used to look when it was an outdoor track). But that's the way the campus looked when I started school in 1973.

Jun 6, 2020, 11:39 AM

Some of the cast including Cameron Mitchell spent time playing money matches at Boscobel with the legendary Harvey Brock. Also, Eleanor Ross, wife of former Clemson footballer Jack Ross and mother of former Tigers Jack(Louis) and John Ross, had a significant role in the movie.

Jun 6, 2020, 12:30 PM

I remember looking out of a second story window in Godfrey Hall one day and seeing Burt and a few other people walking around campus and wondering what the heck he was doing there. Later we find out he is checking out the campus to possibly make a movie. If I remember correctly most of the on campus scenes were shot over spring break ruining my plan to somehow show up on film. I thought it was a pretty good movie.

Jun 6, 2020, 2:28 PM

I remember the first time I watched this movie on TV, many years ago. Had no idea it was filmed in Clemson, some seven years after I graduated, until I recognized the old post office towards the start of the movie. Just watched the entire film again, and enjoyed it.

Did anyone else notice that the motel in the movie had "Clemson Motel" on its sign?

2024 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2020, 3:48 PM

I was in the movie at the 13:10 mark.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There was another Clemson connection in a Lancaster movie

Jun 6, 2020, 8:09 PM

"The Midnight Man" came out in 1974, but the filming took place (of course) a little earlier. In fact, in another Burt Lancaster movie, "Executive Action," which was released in 1973, Burt in one scene wore a scruffy Clemson cap that featured a football helmet with a tiger paw on it. Since this movie was about a plot to kill JFK, the tiger paw helmet was an anachronism. You can see it in this trailer, at about the 1:00 mark. https://www.imdb.com/video/vi4082351897?playlistId=tt0070046&ref_=tt_ov_vi

That's an old Clemson trucker hat for sure!***

Jun 6, 2020, 9:12 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2020, 2:34 PM

I had a speaking part in the movie. I appear at the beginning in a scene filmed in the amphitheatre. I am wearing a toga.

First, Mr. Lancaster was a great guy, very friendly and encouraging. It was a comic scene and, fortunately, I nailed it. He was laughing so hard he couldn't look at me. It is right there on film, him looking down. Later that day, I had to do a recording for a tape so I had to hang around. They were shooting a scene at the fields that are now the soccer stadium. He came over to me and told me that I was great during our scene. An Oscar winning actor told me that I was great. You never forget that... and what a nice guy he was.

Vincent Camby called it the second worst movie made that year (read that in a BL biography.) So, I have that on my resume. But I also have an incredible memory of a day of being in the movies and and IMDB credit

Jun 7, 2020, 3:17 PM

I remember that scene. I think you were with the Clemson Players and played Snoopy in Charlie Brown. If my memory in not correct I apologize.

Jun 7, 2020, 11:45 PM

You're correct. Great times at Clemson. Plays at Daniel Hall auditorium. They have an incredible theater now.

Side note - one of the most talented people in the CP when I was there, Susan Day Smith, is the owner and star at Cafe And Then Some in Greenville. I was a hack, for the most part.

Jun 7, 2020, 9:14 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #66 'The Midnight Man' ]

great story for us and what a great memory for you

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2020, 6:36 PM

I walked into class one morning in Godfrey Hall and standing in front of the class was Mr. Lancaster. He stood there for a few minutes with nothing happening so I flipped to a clean page in my notebook and approached him for his autograph. Burt Lancaster was one of my Mother's favorite actors. He was very kind and accommodating and gladly signed. My mother framed it and kept it till she passed in 2006. And I still have it today.

Jun 7, 2020, 8:31 PM

A side note on Susan Clark... She was the wife of Bob Clark, a producer and director of some(lesser) renown. She was an actor in Porky's that Bob was directing... Alex Karras put the bedazzled on her and stole her away...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually , the trailer now has me curious ....'

Jun 7, 2020, 9:12 PM

think I may watch it one night.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I actually enjoyed the movie, several good actors, bunch of

Jun 8, 2020, 10:05 PM

bad ones, it would have been better if simpler and not so many guilty ones, it got very confusing but still suspensful. So convoluted that the only clear killer was the cop and the surprising finding that complicit was the main actress, who turned out to be having an lesbian affair with the student.If there had been only one or two others involved would have been more effective. Fun seeing those scenes around Clemson and Anderson.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I actually enjoyed the movie, several good actors, bunch of

Jun 9, 2020, 9:34 AM

agree - ending was ridiculous

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 9, 2020, 9:36 AM

I attended when they filmed it and I still remember them shutting down parts of the campus

Was a BIG thing back then - Burt was a leading actor - don't remember seeing most of the other actors

Film brought back a lot of great memories of Clemson

GO TIGERS

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watched Midnight Man last night. Could only find it on

Jun 9, 2020, 4:12 PM

Youtube. A little slow, but not terrible. Lots of neat shots of Clemson. Curious where the "town" shots were done. Does not appear to be Clemson.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic