Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #52 'Esso Club shuttle service in 1974'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #52 'Esso Club shuttle service in 1974'

May 23, 2020, 8:36 AM

LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #52 'Esso Club shuttle service in 1974'

TigerNet will be posting several historic Clemson photos during this difficult time with no Clemson sports. TigerNet user Witt Langstaff, Jr. sent in the follow Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #52 'Esso Club shuttle service in 1974'

May 23, 2020, 10:06 AM

I recall the days of me and my fellow FFA officers riding in the back of our advisor's pickup truck to events and even to Clemson once for a FFA Convention held at the University. Those were fun times, even though you would probably get arrested for hauling a bunch of kids in the back of a truck these days.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 23, 2020, 10:12 AM

I actually saw folks buy gas at the ESSO Club! Back in the day..,

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 23, 2020, 10:53 AM

In 1969 they sold gas...functioning radiator shop...had service bay off the end of the area where the bar is and at the other end of the building...they also fixed flats etc...that's where we would buy the inner tubes to float down the Chatooga...sometimes their patches were not worth a ####...worked in the bar a little...made from old stadium seats with numbers...every hour on the dot you would spin the wheel behind the bar and if you were sitting on the number you got a free draft beer...also sold pickled quail eggs, pickled eel and other delicacies...all in big jars sitting on the bar! Esso Club was a fine place to meet in the evening...many from the town would come...two noteworthy every evening for a beer...Mr. Ray...married to an English professor...worked at the P plant and Zeke Williams...golfer extra ordinaire...who never played professionally or in college at Duke but taught Mr. Ray to play in 2 hours! Claimed to have once beaten Walter Hagen in a match in New Jersey! Homemade beef jerkey was a big seller at the bar!

May 23, 2020, 10:54 AM

thanks for sharing!

May 23, 2020, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #52 'Esso Club shuttle service in 1974' ]

And that’s what makes a great dive bar extraordinary. You can get a beer anywhere. It’s the people and the atmosphere. Sign me up for the jerky and the pickled egg. I never miss eating there now when we are in town. Smoking pig starting to show a lot of the same elements.

May 23, 2020, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #52 'Esso Club shuttle service in 1974' ]

Great memories! Thanks for sharing.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 23, 2020, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #52 'Esso Club shuttle service in 1974' ]

Cool! Enjoyed that...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 23, 2020, 11:04 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #52 'Esso Club shuttle service in 1974' ]

I was writing about going there with my dad between 1946-50. Waaay back in the day. ????????

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What Whitt didn't mention . . . .

May 23, 2020, 2:45 PM

Was him diving off the hood of his truck in the fraternity quad after one of the home football games. The university did some "remodeling" to the quad parking area and put up a moat in the middle in order to reduce the number of cars that could park in the quad. Well before they could get anything planted, it had rained several days before a home game which turned the moat into a swimming pool. If I remember right, Whitt did a swan dive into about 2 feet.

Re: What Whitt didn't mention . . . .

May 23, 2020, 7:54 PM

After a few barley pops, everybody has a cape with a BIG “S” on it. Only thing better if he yelled “ hey you all watch this”. My kind of man and can come to my tailgate anytime......

May 23, 2020, 4:38 PM

I love that truck, would love to have one like it restored.

He must have had a drink or 3 when he did the swan dive.....lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

May 24, 2020, 4:11 AM

Bob Higby flipped the bar into the grocery side of the station in the '79-'80 school year. In those days it seemed each frat had a bar they would frequent on Fridays for happy hour. I was an SAE and our spot was Bob's as we called it at that time. Never forget you could go down with a couple dollars and you were fine as Bob sold nickel draft beer. He also had a huge wheel of cheddar cheese that you could buy .25 worth, with saltines an Texas Pete, you
usually needed a friend to help finish your portion. Bob opened the rear after a year or so and had a couple pool tables in there. It was a great local spot back then, rarely would you find young lady there, but we had great fun. So for a couple bucks you could drink a number of drafts, eat some cheddar cheese, and play some pool! Then head off to Harcomb for steak night. Great times, great memories! Go Tigers!

May 24, 2020, 8:19 AM

With Jim Spivey in the white t-shirt in back! I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure
Witt was the originator of, or at least played an integral role in, the Tiger Paw painted on the face tradition.

Because the ESSO club is so far away from campus...***

May 24, 2020, 9:05 AM

May 26, 2020, 1:12 PM

That's SAE brother Rocky Weldon in the flannel shirt. Yo' Rocky!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Win, lose or draw . . . I'm a Tiger fan forevermore!

Hurricane Duane

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic