Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: In-state linebacker catches Venables' attention
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

TNET: In-state linebacker catches Venables' attention

Jun 20, 2018, 7:01 AM

In-state linebacker catches Venables' attention

When Greg Williams arrived at camp two weeks ago, his goal was to catch defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Brent Venables’ attention and earn an offer from Clemson. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UCF is most definitely NOT a Power 5 school

Jun 20, 2018, 8:03 AM

And they've never won a NC ;)

Re: UCF is most definitely NOT a Power 5 school

Jun 20, 2018, 8:12 AM

I would have been all in on the spot, shut down all recruiting and committed then and there!!! I would have been a Tiger today, and be happy about it!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ESPN and committing with a presser has spoiled some of these kids

Jun 20, 2018, 9:34 AM

and now three stars are holding them whereas it started off as a five star athlete thing for the most part back in the beginning.
Now if another LB says yes and commits because this kid put us off that offer might not be there later so that is a chance he is taking.
I agree with you. We aren't closing as early as we used to on some of these but it seems to me this kid is waiting to hear from a specific school perhaps, just my own conjecture, so be it.
Now that he has an offer from Clemson this fine young man knows other power five schools will probably be on the way.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ESPN and committing with a presser has spoiled some of these kids

Jun 20, 2018, 10:33 AM

Absolutely but, when you have been offered the best, you can't be to bright if you're waiting for something else. This kid is a senior this coming season, if he didn't need a lot of coaching, he would be a high 4 or a 5 star player, just saying!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seriously? What makes you think this kid is spoiled?***

Jun 20, 2018, 12:51 PM [ in reply to ESPN and committing with a presser has spoiled some of these kids ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not my favorite offer

Jun 20, 2018, 8:06 AM

In a year with abundant LB talent and lots that we are still in it for, I'd like for us to shoot for multiple higher prospects. Greg seems like a solid, strong LB... but he plays against munchkins and does not appear to possess that elite burst/speed like Tre Lamar did. He obviously showed out in camp and might be faster than what his highlights show. I'll absolutely take him over Maguire though.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Not my favorite offer

Jun 20, 2018, 9:01 AM

What do you have against McGuire? I haven’t watched any of his highlights but everyone seemed to make it kind of a big deal when he committed so I assumed he was pretty good.

Jun 20, 2018, 9:54 AM

I have nothing against Maguire. I like him as a player, but I think he will have some limitations like Ben did in coverage due to his height and speed. He's a 2-deep guy for sure.

Jun 20, 2018, 10:31 AM

The kid played receiver, so I doubt he’s as slow as you’re making him out to be. Plus, anyone that can get 150 tackles in a season is someone that I want on my team if I were picking lol.

Jun 20, 2018, 10:36 AM

The only data that we have is that Maguire ran a 4.91 40 at a recent camp. That could be an anomaly as lots of high school players don't know how to run a 40... but that is still extremely slow.

Never know ... I look at Shaq Smith ...

Jun 20, 2018, 9:02 AM [ in reply to Not my favorite offer ]

I know, I know ... everyone thinks he'll have a breakout year.

But he's still 3rd string on the post Spring depth chart.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yea that is a massive surprise

Jun 20, 2018, 9:52 AM

since he was rated so highly coming out of high school. Sometimes you just don't know.

Thank you, Vic Koenning!

Jun 20, 2018, 9:27 AM [ in reply to Not my favorite offer ]

Where are you coaching now?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Thank you, Vic Koenning!

Jun 20, 2018, 9:51 AM

If you don't like my opinion, just move on.

Thank you, Vic Koenning!***

Jun 20, 2018, 10:03 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jun 20, 2018, 9:45 AM [ in reply to Not my favorite offer ]

To me he projects as a DE. Justin Foster, Richard Yeargin and Chris Register were all LBs in high school. At 6’4, 235 he certainly has the size to make the move to DE.

Jun 20, 2018, 9:53 AM

I could definitely see that working. He moves like a DE out in space. Doesn't seem to have that elite burst like Clelin though. Might just be hard to tell on his highlights.

Re: TNET: In-state linebacker catches Venables' attention

Jun 20, 2018, 9:13 AM

I would have sworn from the photo this kid was a de or te

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds articulate and thoughtful and a hard worker.

Jun 20, 2018, 12:48 PM

Those are great traits and if he any skill at all, then he can more successful than many that are more highly touted at this point.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic