Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: ESPN ranks Clemson football program in 150-year celebration
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

TNET: ESPN ranks Clemson football program in 150-year celebration

Aug 15, 2019, 11:39 AM

ESPN ranks Clemson football program in 150-year celebration

College football is celebrating 150 years of the sport and that's brought a number of rankings and lists this month heading into the season. ESPN used its own m Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: ESPN ranks Clemson football program in 150-year celebration

Aug 15, 2019, 11:53 AM

I agree with most the of the rankings but having Tenn, UGA, & Fla in front of Clemson is just a joke. Tenn had one great season 1998 that’s it. UGA has come close but with only one natty in 1980 and nothing for over 30 years til they made an appearance in the natty two years ago. How they are more successful is beyond me. Florida had a good run in the early 90’s but what happened before and after that? I’ll tell ya ...NOTHING!

Aug 15, 2019, 1:02 PM

UGA and Tennessee are getting credit for mythical National Championships that they don’t deserve. These titles are suspect at best, fraudulent at worst. Florida’s titles are real. The period of dominance for UF is pretty impressive, and I can live with that ranking. The only thing UGA has over Clemson is an impressive string of pre-season National Championships.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UGA dominant over us head to head. Why

Aug 15, 2019, 1:47 PM

don’t they deserve the mythical national championships? Are you saying we don’t deserve the one 1981?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you read it. They went back 150 years. UT was

Aug 15, 2019, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: ESPN ranks Clemson football program in 150-year celebration ]

a powerhouse in the 30s, 40s, and 50s.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: just a joke

Nov 19, 2022, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: ESPN ranks Clemson football program in 150-year celebration ]

Are you saying that ESPN skewed their own calculations to get a particular result?

Or that their calculations should not have produced the results you see?

Since bias can only be instilled at the moment of formulation, just what bias are you suggesting???

Is this more "I hate the SEC" crap, or do you have actual data to confirm your opinion of our historic superiority?

Well, I can't find the Chickens anywhere in the top 50.

Aug 15, 2019, 4:19 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: ESPN ranks Clemson football program in 150-year celebration ]

Not sure they would have made the top 100. Maybe The Citadel at 99 and UofSuC at 100?

Aug 16, 2019, 5:19 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: ESPN ranks Clemson football program in 150-year celebration ]

All I know is that last year we had the best team in history.

But Finebaum basically said we’ve always sucked until recently and

Aug 15, 2019, 12:01 PM

once again has no idea what he’s talking about. I guess we’ve won 24 conference titles in the last four years. 18th out of all FBS programs all time isn’t bad for a little school that he can’t seem to find on the map.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2019, 12:13 PM

I take list and rankings like this with a grain of salt. I understand that Clemson didn't have the success of the other blue blood football school but I think rankings like this fail to mention the fact that in the early days Clemson couldn't get a big name program to play in Clemson. Thats why some of the records against other big programs are skewed heavily in the other teams favor. Teams refused to give Clemson home and home games and back then I'm not sure Clemson really cared because they were in it for the money anyways. I don't think Georgia even came to Clemson before the 70's. I think when ranking the program you have to look at where they came from. It's not fair to compare Clemson's past to a school like Notre Dame or Bama or Ohio State. Let's not forget that programs like Notre Dame, Bama and Ohio State had big time advantages in recruiting as well. There were only a hand full of teams that got national tv exposure and let's face it, big time recruits wanted to be seen on tv. Nowadays I think one of the NCAA's penalties is a school not being able to have their games shown on tv. I have to double check that and it may have changed but I'm pretty positive that was one of many penalties that could be handed down. So thats how you get the history of a Notre Dame. So technically back in the day teams definitely weren't on a level playing field in recruiting just based on certain teams getting their games aired. I could go on but I think I made my point.

Aug 15, 2019, 12:17 PM

My problem with this poll- it includes non-FBS schools and includes mythical National Championships from before the AP poll, all of those are in doubt, as are the ones where the final AP poll was prior to the bowls.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2019, 12:57 PM

Basically, any National Championship before 1965 is especially suspect because the final AP Poll was 1 month prior to the bowl games.

Aug 15, 2019, 12:59 PM

Yep, they say Bama has 15. I've seen claims of 16 or 17. But I'm thinking somewhere in the 11 range like this:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/1/8/16849228/national-championships-by-year-team-most-list-count

Aug 15, 2019, 1:08 PM

That article gives Clemson credit for for 1900, as well. Give us 4!

Aug 15, 2019, 12:31 PM

I get some of there data but I have us easily at 17.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Boise State?!?!

Aug 15, 2019, 1:33 PM

Apparantly their upset against Oklahoma and their AA NC counts more than 3 NCs? That's a crap pick.

I mean they won a AA NC in 1980... we won a real NC in 1981... PLUS 2 more... smh

Things I find humorous in this article:

Aug 15, 2019, 1:38 PM

Boise St ahead of Clemson because in part because they were a good junior college program.

St. John's ahead of Clemson because they never changed coaches.

Mount Union ahead of Clemson and Division III.

Tennessee ahead of Clemson in part because of their dominance over Kentucky.

Auburn ahead of Clemson in part because they beat Bama a few times when Bama could have played in the national championship. But seriously, it says that...

LSU ahead of Clemson with the only stated evidence being because their fans really like football.

UGA ahead of Clemson because of some perceived "national prominance".

I can honestly live with the Ivy League schools because it's a 150 year list and they dominated everything until college athletics required a decision to be made between academic standards and athletic achievement.

Even North Dakota which I think Clemson should be ahead of has a pretty impressive resume and they have tried to play more difficult competition unlike Mount Union.

I also find it quite funny that some power 5 schools who consider themselves to be strong football programs have been left off the list where some of these relative unknowns have been placed.

Re: Things I find humorous in this article:

Aug 15, 2019, 3:28 PM

Well, now we know what it's like to be in a horse race, moving up fast on the outside, while the rest of the field falls back...

When ESPN re-tallies this list for Year #155--yeah, right, but why not? It's meaningless, and fits perfectly in the pre-football-season--the Clemson Tigers will have moved up between 1-3 spots every season.

If Dabo gives us 10 more years, we'll be breathing hard down the Gipper's neck.

It might take 15 to catch the elephants. At that point, they will probably re-calibrate the percentages. But 44-16 Part II will make the years fly by....

"This kid can't be 19 years old!"

so #1 and #2 on All-Time list, we beat both by 4 TDs....

Aug 15, 2019, 1:39 PM

... After both came in undefeated in to last year's CFP. Not to mention Bama was said to be the "Greatest Team of all Time."

I take a lot of satisfaction in knowing that we are the best program in the nation as of last 3-4 years and could keep the run going for some number of years.

This thread is full of the butt hurt. Some sensitive mofos

Aug 15, 2019, 1:49 PM

on here.

LOL..... UGA at 22.....***

Aug 15, 2019, 2:08 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2019, 2:11 PM

I'd like to see it reranked for just the modern era .
Say , 1981 going forward ?
Seems like a nice round number .

Sorry not sorry , Dawgs .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Aug 15, 2019, 5:59 PM

I don’t recognize non-power 5 schools so personally I have clemson 16th.

Aug 15, 2019, 7:50 PM

Remember it’s a windshield mentality. It’s what is next not what is in the rear view mirror.

LMAO...UGAck, UF, Aubby?

Aug 15, 2019, 9:24 PM

Why rank them ahead of Clemson?

Lemme guess....S-E-C

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love that we’ve beaten the top schools except for the real USC.

Aug 16, 2019, 6:37 AM

Only bc we haven’t played them of late.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Love that we’ve beaten the top schools except for the real USC.

Aug 16, 2019, 7:36 AM

It was kind of fun/funny reading down:

Nebraska - ha!
THE O31o St - ha! ha!
Oklahoma - ha! ha! ha!
Notre Dame - ha! ha! ha!

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic