Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Analyst projects social media earnings with new rule for Clemson QB
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 2,218

TNET: Analyst projects social media earnings with new rule for Clemson QB

May 28, 2020, 1:41 PM

Analyst projects social media earnings with new rule for Clemson QB

The NCAA is expected to pass a measure next January that will allow athletes to benefit from third-party advertisements on social media and more areas. For prom Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NCAA just made recruiting even harder.

May 28, 2020, 2:32 PM

That is, assuming they even care about academics, education, lack of cheating, integrity, etc. (BTW, I don't. I think they give lip service to all of that. They set rules and send the message, "Cheat, but don't be stupid enough to get caught. And, if yu do and you are one of "our schools" we'll take care of you anyway. See UNC.)

Some coaches - Jimbo Fisher comes to mind immediately - will use NIL as a recruiting tool. "Son, we got all the oi money in Texas you could ever spend. Come to aTm and we'll guarantee you that you'll be making more money here than any other school could ever even dare to talk about. And, we'll work your schedule around so that if you need some "special treatment" that will be just fine.

Other coaches - Dabo comes to mind - will refuse to play that game. They will follow the rules and allow the players to make money, but they won't be acting as their agents and "helping" them earn the money.

But, the NCAA doesn't care. They just want to make sure that the NBA and NFL don't decide to set up another minor league to compete against the minor league they already have - the NCAA. That's the only reason they have agreed to the NIL. It has nothing to do with helping poor, underprivileged kids just eke out a decent life while in college. It has everything to do with seeing that the Zion Williams of the world go to college and not straight to the pros.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NCAA just made recruiting even harder.

May 28, 2020, 3:06 PM

That’s exactly how I see this panning out unfortunately

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2020, 3:49 PM [ in reply to NCAA just made recruiting even harder. ]

Agreed, and I like many don't like it. Money talks and may greatly enhance the bigger schools with larger followings.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2020, 3:53 PM [ in reply to NCAA just made recruiting even harder. ]

That's how I see the Korey Foreman situation.

I have no knowledge of his specific circumstances, but I do know the way Californians think: he is certainly getting advice about his NIL income loss if he leaves SoCal to come to Clemson.

When he was 16, he felt at home away from home at Clemson. But as an up-and-coming adult, he has to consider the loss he would take leaving the entertainment capitol of the world to become relatively isolated among the Blue Ridge. (Californians don't even consider the Appalachians to be true mountains. )

The sponsorship money in SoCal is astronomical compared to Clemson, and even including the entire Upstate. Even though that sponsorship pie is sliced into many pieces, an All-American DE at Southern Cal can still pull in major money, especially if he is the best player on the team and he gets name recognition as a FR. While college sports are almost an afterthought in California, the SoCal fanbase is very wealthy and committed to investing in their team.

If Foreman plays for Clemson, he might not start for awhile; he won't be the biggest name on the team; he plays at a less glamorous position from an NIL standpoint; and he'd be playing in a very nonlucrative market. And he may only get about 1.5 years to capitalize on his NIL if he doesn't start until his SO year and goes pro after 3.

You might wonder why DJ would come from SoCal, considering his potential NIL loss. I figure 1) his family and faith played a huge role in his commitment; 2) the entire NIL situation has pretty much arisen after he finalized his decision; and 3) as a QB, and a player at a relatively injury-free position, his future NFL earnings are more guaranteed than a DE might find. He can wait to make his fortune more than a DE who already feels he has "earned his visits" and is now ready to capitalize.

Now if Taisun were to win the starting QB role in 2021, we might see DJ reconsider playing here, too. But I sure hope not.

That's the kind of Pandora's box the NCAA has opened (due to the various states' laws going into effect.) I think they had very little choice in the matter, but compounding their NIL decision with allowing free transfers is going to put small market colleges at serious risk.

It would have been so much easier if the schools just cut

May 28, 2020, 3:54 PM

everybody a real check instead of this buttfuckathon that they unleashed instead

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It would have been so much easier if the schools just cut

May 28, 2020, 4:11 PM

You can’t say that......can you????

Re: TNET: Analyst projects social media earnings with new rule for Clemson QB

May 28, 2020, 4:05 PM

Yeah this "endorsement" money will be used to lie, cheat and steal by schools and boosters. They may as well announce free agency and that every off season every player can go wherever they are offered the most since that's where this will end up anyway. Yet another reason to root for California to fall into the ocean.

May 28, 2020, 4:45 PM

While I agree, you can't blame it on just CA. Tim Tebow reported that the FL legislature had enacted a similar measure and other states are considering them. The NCAA is trying to get ahead of the sticks.

But i think we can agree that it's not done for the benefit of the sport, or the colleges, or even the athletes; it's done 1) to keep CA athletes at home where they can make more money (CA's talent drain has been incredible for the last decade); and 2) another source of tax revenue.

The last time I paid CA state income tax I paid about 11% . That was 34 years ago. I'm sure a high earning single adult will pay a lot more under today's tax rates.

And yes, amazingly, I still made better money than I did in SC.

And your living expenses were astronomically higher also,

May 28, 2020, 11:19 PM

weren't they!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And your living expenses were astronomically higher also,

May 29, 2020, 1:20 AM

Yes, they were.

Nevertheless, in 1986 saving 10% of 35K in CA as an hourly employee vs. 10% of 20K in SC in 1985 for the same work? If it were only about the money I'd have stayed there.

But it wasn't. Once I married my CA girl, we came back to the South. We didn't want to raise kids out there. Others may feel differently.

May 29, 2020, 8:47 AM

High school athletes will likely go where they can make an immediate impact. Recruiting has changed.

This also can’t be good for team morale. There’s going to be envy and jealousy in locker rooms across the country. This sport could turn nasty quick.

All the more reasons to tell the NCAA to take a hike.

May 29, 2020, 5:37 PM

Interesting comparison of quarterbacks. Texas is a huge state and a huge university so comparing the Texas QB with a freshman who has never thrown a pass is odd but I suspect DJ would get a bunch of dates with $86,000 in income as a freshman.

May 29, 2020, 5:51 PM

Money talks and bs walks and we have to remember the NCAA practices the Golden Rule--they have have the gold so they rule.

Replies: 13
| visibility 2,218
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic