»
Topic: TNET: 101-year-old Clemson legend Ben Skardon walks in Bataan Memorial Death March
Replies: 12   Last Post: Mar 19, 2019 10:09 AM by: curugby82
[ Tiger Boards - Amphitheatre ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 12  

TNET: 101-year-old Clemson legend Ben Skardon walks in Bataan Memorial Death March

[8]
Posted: Mar 18, 2019 10:28 AM

101-year-old Clemson legend Ben Skardon walks in Bataan Memorial Death March

Retired U.S. Army Col. Ben Skardon, a 101-year-old survivor of the Bataan Death March and revered alumnus and professor emeritus of Clemson University marched f Read Update »

Re: TNET: 101-year-old Clemson legend Ben Skardon walks in Bataan Memorial Death March

[1]
Posted: Mar 18, 2019 10:56 AM

Colonel Skardon was a true American hero in every sense of the word. It is unfortunate that so many high schools no longer teach American History or at least the base causes of WW II. Many Clemson alumni lost their lives during that awful conflict. (Over 300 in the class of 1941 alone!) There was great book written by another former Clemson student and Death March survivor, Manny Lawton: Some Survived: An Eyewitness Account of the Bataan Death March and the Men Who Lived through It. I recommend this book to anyone who wishes to know about the Japanese treatment of American POWs as seen by a former Clemson student.---He who does not know history is condemned to relive it.

Re: TNET: 101-year-old Clemson legend Ben Skardon walks in Bataan Memorial Death March

[1]
Posted: Mar 18, 2019 11:00 AM

hE WAS MY ENGLISH TEACHER. i NEVER KNEW TILL YEARS LATER OF HIS WAR TIME EXPERIENCES.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

[1]
Posted: Mar 18, 2019 11:13 AM

He was my English Professor in 1977. I also did not know of his military service at that time.
He dressed in a bow tie and wore a seer sucker suit to class as well.

Posted: Mar 18, 2019 11:08 AM

Great American and Great Tiger!!!

My uncle, my father's oldest brother, survived Bataan...***

[3]
Posted: Mar 18, 2019 11:13 AM

2019 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: My uncle, my father's oldest brother, survived Bataan...

[1]
Posted: Mar 18, 2019 1:18 PM

it is amazing there were survivors at all given the horrific treatment and conditions. That some are still living today at their age is amazing based on normal mortality but remarkable considering their ordeal. I would suspect most had some long term health issues due to this

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

[2]
Posted: Mar 18, 2019 12:23 PM

A great man. That smile is his trademark.

military_donation.jpg

[1]
Posted: Mar 18, 2019 12:27 PM

Beyond proud of you Col.Skardon! An absolute honor to be connected through you to Clemson. May God bless every moment of every day you have and thank you sir with profound depth for your service!

2019 orange level member

[1]
Posted: Mar 18, 2019 1:44 PM

What an amazing and wonderful man! His outlook on life is such an inspiration and a blessing to those of us fortunate enough to know him.

[1]
Posted: Mar 18, 2019 10:36 PM

Amazing man

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

One of the best professors I had

[2]
Posted: Mar 19, 2019 3:09 AM

Sophomore English....English 201

One of the best. Made English Lit come alive.

Never forget his class. Not easy but he made you want to learn.

2019 orange level member

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 10:09 AM

Great story! My father-in-law also survived it. True American hero’s !!!

Replies: 12  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Season Tickets
FOR SALE: (2) tickets on Clemson side SEC:I ROW: NN, five steps from portal easy in/out $1250 each. Option to...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Tiger Boards - Amphitheatre ]
Start New Topic
1177 people have read this post