Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Quick Reaction from College Station: "Whew" sums up the night in thrilling win
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

TNET: Quick Reaction from College Station: "Whew" sums up the night in thrilling win

Sep 9, 2018, 7:01 AM

Quick Reaction from College Station: "Whew" sums up the night in thrilling win

A hot and humid walk from the Kyle Field press box to the postgame interview summed up the wild swings of momentum and emotion during and after Clemson’s 28-26 victory over Texas A&M Saturday. Photo by Jerome Miron / USATODAY Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t like to complain about the officiating but

Sep 9, 2018, 8:41 AM

Only one holding call against TAMU and on the last play of the game? Surely with our DL we should have gotten to the QB a lot more often if it wasn’t for holds on their O?

Their OL literally tackled CW and CF all night

Sep 9, 2018, 9:12 AM

That allowed them to double team Dex and use backfield help on Bryant. Blatant and not called once until the 2 pt attempt.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: I don’t like to complain about the officiating but

Sep 9, 2018, 11:24 PM [ in reply to I don’t like to complain about the officiating but ]

This is one time I agree with complaints about officials, if you watch the game again, all of our D-Line was being held ALL NIGHT LONG! I could not believe the number of times we were held with no calls. What's the job of the "other" official in the offensive backfield, I thought he was supposed to be looking at holding calls??

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This was their super bowl and it showed

Sep 9, 2018, 8:44 AM

They have had this game circled since last season ended. Still, you walk into the game the #2 team in the country as a huge 12 point lined favorite and walk out fortune to eacape with a win. TAM exposed every possible weakness on both sides of the ball - lots of work to do on both sides. LOTS.

Prevent Offense

Sep 9, 2018, 9:27 AM

David,

You hit the nail on the head. The playcalling is ultra conservative when we have the lead. This has been an ongoing problem for a few years now that has made several games way closer than they ever should’ve been. You could call it trying not to lose, but I almost characterize it as trying to give the game away. I call it our Prevent Offense.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Re: TNET: Quick Reaction from College Station: "Whew" sums up the night in thrilling win

Sep 9, 2018, 9:38 AM

I would like to say that the game was hard fought and a tough match up. The win is great and sometimes they look ugly (Louisville 2016 and Tulane 1981). I have some venting to do: First of all, I think I'm going to puke if the CU offense starts off with another bubble screen to open a game. Since last year it's not working! It automatically puts the O behind the chains. The O Coordinators need to start surprising people and stop being predictable. Secondly, the running backs might as well transfer. It's obvious the O coordinators don't realize what a great resource they have. They have speed and it needs to be used (not just up the middle). Look at the film and see what Ettienne did around the edge. Lastly, it's time to forget the conservative mode when CU has a lead. Keep the pedal down and get some first downs. They may be surprised how much better the defense plays when they get a few minutes rest.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Quick Reaction from College Station: "Whew" sums up the night in thrilling win

Sep 9, 2018, 9:48 AM

You nailed it and that style of play will eventually cost us !

Sep 9, 2018, 10:50 AM

1. Play calling is WAY too conservative when we have a lead. The other coaches know it and expect it. It’s almost like we are very ok with 3 and outs at the end of a game.
2. Our defense played ok but if you don’t read sports illustrated you would think the a&m guys should have been on the cover.
3. A&m is going to beat some people this year.

Re: No doubt that

Sep 9, 2018, 10:20 AM

the Tigers won the game but got beat. After the gams last night there is a lot to work on especially again on the run game and the defensive backfield. If possible it would be good to see an attacking offense along with an attacking defense. Trying to protect a lead and trying to be a prevent defense sooner or later will show up in the loss column. With all the talent on both sides of the ball and throughout the team this could be a team that everyone fears and everyone doesn't want to play. Every team the Tigers play are going to bring their best and play with nothing to lose but it's up to the Tigers to bring their best and shut down with a nasty focused attitude any thoughts upcoming opponents may think they have. Bring the FURY with a vengeance.

Won but got beat!? Nice pulse, bro.***

Sep 9, 2018, 1:00 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We won. 2-0. Tough, tough game.***

Sep 9, 2018, 11:45 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly Right! We Won.....2-0

Sep 9, 2018, 12:03 PM

Heard it said, "the ACC is done if Clemson loses"! Looks like FSU has a bunch they need to work out. Miami was clearly outmatched by what is expected to be the 3rd best team in "the SEC West" 4 best in the conference! But, because of what the Tigers have done in recent years, it won't matter as long as we win them all. I would even go so far as to say; we could drop one b/c some of the other big names will lose at least one.
As for the game. "Whew" is right! I was sitting there going, "i'll bet all the KB critics are a little less passionate right about now" in the 2nd half. If not, what game were you watching? I think we need both and maybe both these guys will just continue getting better "PRE-SNAP"! All the folks talking about the offensive calls; you know we have an offense that "takes what the defense gives" right? We attack their technique based on how they are lined up. Kelly and Trevor have to get us out of the play called a little better; if the defense has guessed right. DW4 was really good at that - picture him going down the line shouting instructions - changing the play! There were a handful of instances that would have been big plays had we checked out of the original play call! That will get better the more looks both of these guys get.
Let's all hope for a really good week of practice and hopefully the Tigers get better! And, the small # of holding penalties should be a red flag! You have what some say, "could be the best DL" ever in college and 1 holding penalty! Man come on! If that's the case Tigers fans Texas A&M will be a playoff team and we will see them again. They will only get better and could challenge Bama, LSU, Auburn, Arkansas for the SEC. Georgia too; they are the biggest lock in the country to win their division(a.k.a the SEC Least).

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Exactly Right! We Won.....2-0

Sep 9, 2018, 12:19 PM

…..…...the significance of them checking out as it relates to me posting about criticism of the offensive play calls. If the box is loaded they will pass it. If it's not loaded they run it. A & M did a good job of disguising what they were in pre-snap. We stayed in some bad plays. Live and learn. The next time they see those looks(sure our defense will give them the same exact looks) they will have familiarity and likely check into a play where we have the match up we want. Get the match up you want; win one on one; because likely your player is no less than equally better hopefully outright better! Less three and outs would help the defense too. More tempo(Syracuse used it w/less talent to stay on the field w/us). Better 1st down plays. And as someone posted...……….."you just want to puke on that 1st down bubble screen"! I mean, "Really"! But, we have good coaches. They will self scout and find out their own tendencies!

Early on I was a bit disappointed A & M was not getting flat stoned on running plays. Tigers defense has been in the top 5 in TFL the last few years; but other than a couple sacks how many negative yard plays did we have? I only remember 4. Which is good; but with their OL being a concern coming in; I would have thought that would have been much higher. A.K.A - they never called holding on them until the end of the game.

Re: Exactly Right! We Won.....2-0

Sep 9, 2018, 3:14 PM

So, you're saying our QBs are not making the correct audibles at the line when opportunities come because the D is disguising their formations. Well, they practice against the master of defensive schemes and should have seen about everything a defense can throw at them and KB made the audible to Rogers in the first half for a nice 64 yard gain. No, there's something else amiss. When KB came back in during 3rd and bam, bam and Tigers have 2 TDs and are up 28 - 6 and looking good. Then the breaks are put on and nothing, not even a sniff of the goal line after that. A & M did not switch players. Yes they changed some coverages and formations on D but the personnel were the same. Hat on hat and with a purpose, the Tiger offense should keep the pressure on if the Tigers are down or up 28 - 6 or 56 - 0. BTW, how many yards has the bubble screen gained on the first play of the game since last year? It even failed against Furman.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A W is a W

Sep 9, 2018, 11:51 AM

Hard fought game, but Clemson definitely plagued sloppily. I found this article that had some really interesting points about the game.

Re: A W is a W

Sep 9, 2018, 11:56 AM

Clemsonpaws.com/rapid-reaction-tigers-steal-a-win-in-aggieland/

Sep 9, 2018, 5:21 PM

Nah. It felt like a loss. That's what happens when a team is built up so high before the season and then gets badly exposed by an unranked team. No, it's not a loss, and the season has just begun, but this group is a long way from being a championship team against any of the other top 5 teams. We expected far better yesterday, which is why this feels like a loss.

Sep 9, 2018, 8:13 PM

Clearly Texas A & M is better than just "some unranked team"! Hopefully you recognized that last night. If not, stay tuned to what they do this season. I see them beating at least 1 of the heavy favorites in the SEC. Mond was making plays last night against good defense often! If the offense is just better; it's just better! And last night; those guys were making plays while being defended pretty good. I see why you say it feels like a loss - b/c your not seeing a # next to TAMU. But, this will be a quality win on the road by the end of the season.
If they tank and get blown out by everybody else; I could see you reacting like that. But, it's game two. We play them two months from now perhaps we beat them to the satisfaction everybody dreams of. But for now, win and move on. It's a long season and upsets happen in college football every year! Including those teams you don't think we match up well with right now! Long season my friend; let it play out!

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic